YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My name's Dan, I'm currently working on a new BBC science documentary about the human physiology at diving depths.

We're looking for someone that has severely suffered from decompression sickness and would be happy to speak about their experiences in front of a camera.

It would also be interesting if they also possessed some home footage of pictures of their ordeal.

If you know anyone that might fit the bill, feel free to contact me on [email protected] or reply on this topic thread.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Hi Dan,

Exactly how much of this "science documentary" will be based around hard fact and how much will be down to tabloid sensationalism?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Your name is really Dan Wan? Brilliant.

I would say that you will get lots of help from some on here, and there are several who have had some pretty serious bends. But that will come with the condition that you report it in a factual and sensible way - we're quite often approached to talk about how dangerous and horrible diving is by the media, how we fight sharks with our bare hands to stay alive on every dive, and how deep dark and nasty it is, whereas the truth is that almost anybody can do it, it is comparatively incredibly safe, and most divers want that image portrayed. If nothing else to keep the cost of insurance down a bit.

Digs.

·
Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist...............
2,382 Posts
Your timing and the apparent sensationalism in the media in the last 24 hours could not be worse picked and anyone that reads your post would struggle not to think that this is not a continuation of same.
Could you please link us to something that details out your project or provide the series brief to ensure that you are given the fair treatment that you deserve?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,

I completely understand your concerns about sensationalism.

As a biologist myself, I wish nothing less than for the programme to be sensationalist. I totally agree that science, and in fact everything we feature, needs to be relayed to the audience responsibly and accurately.

We are a bona-fide science documentary called 'To Boldly Go...' and it is presented by Dr Kevin Fong - a world expert in extreme environment medicine ( Dr Kevin Fong - Centre for Altitude, Space and Extreme Environment Medicine)

The 2 x 60 minute series looks at what happens to the human body in extreme environments. One programme will focus on our changing physiology with altitude from the highest mountains to the edge of space. The other looks at depth and how we have been able to find ways to survive underwater and explore the oceans. In each we will be tracking the physiological changes the body goes through in these extreme environments and will look at the technologies that can keep us alive as we go higher and deeper.

We are in fact championing the technologies and people that have showed everyone else how possible diving to varying depths is, but we also want to convey how diving affects the physiology of the body under great pressures. We are using the DCS sufferer to understand the dangers when things unfortunately go wrong in that context.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far.

Dan

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi Dan, I've had 2 inner ear bends the last one very bad. I'm happy to help if required.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
... how we fight sharks with our bare hands to stay alive on every dive, and how deep dark and nasty it is...
Happens to me on just about every dive. First, the scantily clan femme fatalle puts that tracking device onto my tank, then the radio-controlled psycho-sharks turn up and I have to fend them off armed only with the wife's kitchen knife and a handy shipwreck. Having dealt with that, along comes an army of blokes in matching wetsuits complete with spearguns with exploding spears and several little submarines and the hand-to-hand fighting kicks off. Luckily, they die as soon as you take their masks off, so that makes life easier.

;)

·
Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist...............
2,382 Posts
We are in fact championing the technologies and people that have showed everyone else how possible diving to varying depths is, but we also want to convey how diving affects the physiology of the body under great pressures. We are using the DCS sufferer to understand the dangers when things unfortunately go wrong in that context.
Speaking from hanging around here for the past few years bends come in 2 types, the fall down CNS stuff and the neuromuscular stuff.
Neither of which tell a tale in great detail but the most graphic of all has to be some of the skin bends associated PFO's which were shown on here a way back.... now they are ugly.

I am sure Dr Simon Mitchell keeps a 'personal favourites' photo collection if you ask nicely.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Happens to me on just about every dive. First, the scantily clan femme fatalle puts that tracking device onto my tank, then the radio-controlled psycho-sharks turn up and I have to fend them off armed only with the wife's kitchen knife and a handy shipwreck. Having dealt with that, along comes an army of blokes in matching wetsuits complete with spearguns with exploding spears and several little submarines and the hand-to-hand fighting kicks off. Luckily, they die as soon as you take their masks off, so that makes life easier.

;)
You missed the bit where the femme fatale lures you close enough to put the tracking device on your tank by getting her foot caught in a giant clam which you prise open with a knife the size of Ireland that was strapped to your calf (although why you were towing a baby cow around underwater is not explained.)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Reactions: Tilesey

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

;)
Can I recommend a squirt of He in your cylinder for the next dive?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts