YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>is there anybody in cumbria teaching nitrox courses ?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Andy Hayhurst, Dalesdiver at Sedburgh.
www.dalesdivers.co.uk
Just done a course with Andy, great course, and just as important, a really friendly guy------until he gets you underwater----just joking!!!
Give him a call.
Cheers, Malcolm, also from Cumbria.

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Mark

Go to Andy's the courses are TDI, the manuals are so much easier to understand than PADI (I know I did the PADI basic Nitrox) so you end the course understanding more

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Mark,

Just to echo all the above, my wife and I both did our Advanced Nitrox with Hayhurst and you learn, it makes sense, and you'll be a safer and more learned diver for the experience, as a more consciencious and personably guy you could not hope to meet. Hope this helps mate and enjoy the course.

You can contact Andy on TEL:  07702 819381

Good luck with the course, you will enjoy it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

Mark,

SSAC are planning on doing a Nitrox course in the Carlise/Cumbria area for their Branchs round about there in the near future. Course is a TDI course Basic Nitrox taught by TDI/SSAC instructors.

If your not a SSAC Diver one of the instructors also does certs through his own company so you'd be more than welcome.

Drop us an email at [email protected] or check out www.scotsac.com

Regards

jim

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Regarding courses, as a general rule, check out carefully the experience levels of those about to teach you.
Cheap has never been the definition of value for money.
This is not meant in a pointed way, just a general comment.
Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

OK, this is in danger of becoming a minor hobbyhorse, and I confess to just having returned from the pub.
I did my basic nitrox through the scotsac/iantd banner a few years ago and came away convinced 1.6 ppo2 was a safe bottom gas mix to use. This is not so.
!st dive on nitrox picking my own mix for the depth brought a raised eyebrow from the gas blender who said most picked a ppo2 of 1.4 max for bottom gas, but it was my decision.
Quick check in my manual clearly stated 1.6 OK and off I went confidant in my course info.
Like I said, check out carefully your instructors experience.
Some have more than others.
Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>thanks for the info ,you guys are very friendly and helpful.i'm glad i found this forum!.
and yes jim i'm ssac sport diver

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi there, I thought the SSAC was based on the BSAC guidlines (don't quote me), but the BSAC one says 1.4 recommended, 1.6 is about the limit.  I have assisted on the BSAC course and  it's quite good.  

Although I did the IANTD one and this was excellent although that might have been down to the instructor as I know other people who did the IANTD one with another instructor and they didn't have to do half the things I did with IANTD the manual and exam is a bit complicated, the BSAC one is the usual multi choice answers.  

However I would recommend anyone to do the course.  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Re ppO2, with BSAC the limit used to be 1.8 about 10 years ago, then became 1.6, now 1.4. With TDI plan 1.4 with 1.6 as your margin of error. USN divers are expected to cope with ~2.0.

Bottom line is that these are all  recommendations as the individual's limit for toxicity is just that - for that individual.

I've done the BSAC Adv nitrox and TDI Adv Nitrox, with TDI you get certified to use 100% 02, with BSAC it's only 50%. So I'd probably recommend the TDI for that alone if nothing else. Also did my TDI with Andy H and can only repeat what the others have said; a genuinely nice bloke to do your courses with.
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

I'm doing the TDI advanced nitrox course with anglesey divers on the weekend of 26th July.
You're welcome to tag on if you want. I think its 125GBP including 2 dives and o2 clean gear.
Let me know if you want more info.
Stu.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>thanks for the invite but i'll be skint then having just got back from menorca with 'er in doors

1 - 12 of 12 Posts