YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Lord of the Rings

918 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  karl_winrow 
#1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hey guys, i have just come back from the cinema having just sat through the best film i think i have ever seen.  The whole thing is a masterpiece of special effects, fantastic acting and a bloody good story.  I havent read the books, and i feel that if i did, i might end up thinking the way i do with harry potter "thats not in the film!!!", and "where the hell did that bit go??" but i will probably read them anyway.
I would reccomend it to anyone, but if you dont like big spiders, i would give it a miss!

#2 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Read the books Porg, you'll not regret it. The first 80 pages go on a lot about hobbits and I found them a bit of a struggle. After that its pure brilliance.

Haven't seen the last film yet (dead jealous) but I'm told there's bits of the book missing in the film - another reason to read them.

Enjoy.

#3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well, I just got back from the film, and I thought it was good. Not the bset film in the world ever, but good. I think it might have something to do with having seen 2 other films with very similar special effects, the same characters, and knowing what was going to happen all through this one too!

Go and see it, definitely, but don't go thinking this is going to be the best film ever made.

#4 ·
Imported post

I'm going to disagree.It was OK.The battle scenes were impressive as was Minas Tirith.However,some of the superimposition of the hobbits looked straight out of a 1970's film.The ending differs from the book, personally I would have ended the film on a high when Aragorn is crowned,the last half hour is drivel.Too many cheesey shots of Sam gazing at Frodo and suchlike.After all the hype I have to admit to being disappointed.:(

#5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I saw it on wednesday and thought it was great, years ago I tried to read the books but could not get past the introduction, but the better half is a LOTR anorak and she says the films are true to the ethos of the books.

I saw a programme on discovery about Tolkien and  it was fascinating to hear of his inspirations for the characters/battles etc.

Safe diving,
Steve.

#6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>RITK is a far closer adaptation of the books than the three other films but there are still blatent ommissions, some subtle, some important.

Aragon's proof of Kingship - curing Pippin and Eowyn from their illness after slaying the Wraith Lord with athelas
Wormtongue throwing the palantir from Isengard
The return to the Shire, finding it overrun and the battle to save it (uprising of the Hobbits, death of Sarky (a.k.a Saurman)

But this is true for all the books and has to be else we would be looking at six 3 hour films!

Fellowship - the Barrowwrights, Tom Bombadil etc
Return - Boromir does not take Frodo and Sam to Minas Tirith, he shows a man has the strength to resist the Ring and helps them on their way after capturing Gollum

There's more but it would take too long to list it all....

Loved the trebuchet in the battle of Gondor though - fantastic

#7 ·
Imported post

Anorak alert! I have to point out that it was Faramir, Boromir's brother who let Frodo and Sam continue on the quest after capturing them.

#8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>The film does not claim to be a film of the books though, it is based on the books.  As was said, if they put all the bits in, it would take about 10 years to film, and about 5 years to watch.  Fine by me, as long as orlando bloom is in it...

as a film, i havent seen any others that surpass it.  Try to bear in mind that they simply could not put everything they wanted in, could not have things exactly how they would like (you cannot shrink elijah wood to 3 foot naturally), so you have to take a selection of what is available and use it as best you can.

#11 ·
Imported post

Just dont forget to pay Attention to the scenery
As it was filmed in my backyard ( So to say)
and I havent been to see it yet ( to bust planning the christmas diving holiday)
safe diving All
Steve  NZ ( Aka Middlearth)

#12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Just back from the film - BRILLIANT.

One question though. At the beginning, before the opening credits, where Smeagol is holding the ring (not giving away any plot there) - he holds the ring in one hand - does that hand have five fingers and a thumb?

Kept looking at his hands through the rest of the film but you couldn't tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.