YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a medical check up yesterday and the doc was a bit shocked at my blood pressure, he reconed it was a bit too low. it was measured at 92 over 44, i dont have any problems with it but was wondering if anyone knew if it was an issue with diving.

if it is a problem i'm sure a weekend of beer and salty chips would bring it up........

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
My blood pressure is sometimes a little low especially if I am under the weather. The only problem that I have noticed is if I stand up quickly I sometimes get a semi blackout/tunnel vision for a couple of seconds.

I'm not sure if there are implications for diving but my doctor is aware that I dive and has never banned me from it. And I never stand up quickly when diving either ;)

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
My blood pressure is sometimes a little low especially if I am under the weather. The only problem that I have noticed is if I stand up quickly I sometimes get a semi blackout/tunnel vision for a couple of seconds.

I'm not sure if there are implications for diving but my doctor is aware that I dive and has never banned me from it. And I never stand up quickly when diving either ;)
I get that too .......... or, rather, I used to get that when the knees could handle standing up quickly!

I'm at the 'grunt/groan age' ........ every time I sit down or stand up or bend over or lift something or see bloody layabout kids or .................

:)

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
had a medical check up yesterday and the doc was a bit shocked at my blood pressure, he reconed it was a bit too low. it was measured at 92 over 44
:eek:

i dont have any problems with it but was wondering if anyone knew if it was an issue with diving.
Diving triggers some physical changes in the body. One change is controlled by the fact that the gravitational pull on your body is now considerably less and there is less need for the volume of blood in this neutral buoyancy world than on land. If you were stranded at sea for a long time, the helicopter would lift you horizontal, as the blood volume in your body is not great enough to get a good supply to your heart when lifted vertically out of the water. People have suddenly died in the past when lifted vertically after spending a day in the sea.

As a scuba diver, you don't spend long enough in the water to have such a dramatic effect, but you probably the physical changes do still happen. You probably notice a need to go for a pee, this is the body reducing the volume - no you don't pee blood! So, you do loose blood volume even on a 30min dive.

The moral of this story is that low blood pressure may be an issue when diving as you will have a further reduction whilst diving, and I would hate to think what effects it would have for off gassing and narcosis.

Me, I would stop diving till I got the pressure up to an acceptable level. YMMV

Plenty of green cabbage and sprouts for you my friend, but go easy on the Guinness :)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would have thought that booze would have helped raise the blood pressure, shame. cabbage maybe but i'll be missing the sprouts i think.

I think that i'll look into getting a proper dive medical, i have asthma that really doesnt bother me so i usually get my gp to sign the padi form. but it makes more sense to have ot looked at by someone who knows diving physiology.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mate of mine who was an instructor had to quit diving due to low blood pressure.

For peace of mind it would certainly be worth seeing a diving doc.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
You might notice coming out of cold water after a dive may get very light headed. Take care of this and exit very slowly, keep reg in just in case! Would get it checked out as to why it is low though as light headiness and semi blackouts are not the most conveinient thing when got heavy gear on and standing in water deep enough to drown in! Good luck with finding the cause.

From another who's been told to eat more salt (had low end of normal bp a couple of years ago, due to low sodium, which got put down to stress of all things!)

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I've always had low BP, it was 90/50 at my HSE medical a couple of weeks ago and the diving doc said that it was not a problem at all. It is much healthier than high BP. There's bugger all you can do to make it higher (except maybe eat pies, get fat, get lazy and smoke lots of tabs)

I've never had any issues with it, except sometimes going dizzy when standing from crouching or kneeling. So I get up slowly!

Don't worry about it too much unless you are prone to fainting, in which case, obviously, it would not be safe to dive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts