YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I dive a drysuit fitted with APEKS low profile inflator.
My BC is a ScubaPro Glide 1000.

Wouldn't it be nice if the low pressure connectors for these two bits of kit were interchangable!

Does anybody know the easiest/cheapest way of making 'em the same?

Also, it would be great if the connectors on my wifes kit (APEKS DS inflator, Diva BC) all matched as well, then we could swap regs should we need to, without swapping all the hoses over.

Thanks
abucksdiver

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Never tried it but I imagine you could replace the offending inflator nipple with a universal type, don't know if the threads are compatible though, or you could replace your apeks valve with a different type
HTH
Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

When I had a Gates suit and a Halcyon wing it was just a matter of changing the inflator nipple on the drysuit. I think it cost me a couple of quid for the new nipple. The inflator for the Gates suit had Gates written all over it but it was just a rebadged Apex.

Not sure exactly what you would need to do with your kit but if you can find out what sort of connecters are being used you should be able to find somewhere supplying replacements.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (abucksdiver @ June 03 2003,14:12)]I dive a drysuit fitted with APEKS low profile inflator.
My BC is a ScubaPro Glide 1000.

Wouldn't it be nice if the low pressure connectors for these two bits of kit were interchangable!

Does anybody know the easiest/cheapest way of making 'em the same?
The easiest way is to change the nipple on the Apeks drysuit inflator (You then obviously need to change the drysuit hose to a standard one). The nipple on the inflator is easy to change (it just unscrews with the use of a spanner). I used to have the details of the part number but don't have it anymore. If you email Apeks (www.apeks.co.uk) then they will email you the details (but won't sell you the part direct). The replacement nipple costs about a fiver. Most dive shops should have them in stock. I got a few of them for myself and buddies from Kent diving (www.kentdiving.com)

Regards, Ian.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

You all seem so patient, is it me, or does anyone else find the fact that there are so many different sizes for these things stupid,

I have a bag of redundant hoses, very usefull it is, but only because there are so many different ones. Just ask Steve's mate Steve, he had three inflators and used three hoses.

Rant, rant, rant.

Ooooo I could go on and on.

Andrew

Abucksdiver, I have spare nipples at home, you got me number if your around Sat AM give me a shout and I will let you have a couple.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (abucksdiver @ June 03 2003,14:12)]Wouldn't it be nice if the low pressure connectors for these two bits of kit were interchangable!
The number of times I have come back from a holiday and forgot to put the dry suit whip back on before my next UK dive. Interchangeable would be nice on those occasions.

However, my dry suit whip has a large ring so that pulling it off the dry suit connector is easy with gloved hands - which I would not want to change. As a result it would never fit onto my BCD connector.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

So... what exactly is the "universal" type?

I use an Apeks and an AP Valves inflator. My air gun only fits into the Apeks. The AP Valves nipple is not replaceable. So who defines "universal", exactly..?

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

A point.

The reason to have them all the same is our old friend, redundancy.

What happens if you wing inflator hose fails. As I have said before with twins and stages your not getting off the deckwith your suit alone, you need back up inflation. The obvious answer is to have the suit and the wing off different posts so you can then swap one onto the other. It is just good practice to get into.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What happens if you wing inflator hose fails
Well, if you were neutrally bouyant, then you'd just fin up and off you go.

If you weren't, then you use good old fashioned oral inflation and up you go.

If it were the suit hose that went pop, and you weren't neutral, then I guess it'd just be extra air in the wing until air expansion of the suit did its thing...

Far easier than friggin' around with direct feeds with gloved hands underwater, I feel..

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

For anyone who's interested, the part number for the replacement nipple (which would mean that it would take a stndard BC hose) is:

AP7005 (Seatec Nipple)

As mentioned above, this can't be bought direct from Apeks, but it can be ordered from your LDS.
Hope this helps
Martin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts