YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was a very good drama, anyone on here actually dived the lusitania then?
As it's a restricted site I doubt many will have, don't even think the bloke who owns it has dived her yet although I know Leigh Bish an the Starfish team have but only two experditions have been on site.

It's on my must do list. :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,750 Posts
As it's a restricted site I doubt many will have, don't even think the bloke who owns it has dived her yet although I know Leigh Bish an the Starfish team have but only two experditions have been on site.

It's on my must do list. :)
There's been quite a few expeditions over the years. You do need a license to dive her, and she's fairly broken due to the initial explosion(s?) and then the RN allegedly using her for depth charge practice many years ago.

Gregg Bemis, the owner of the Lusitania, did dive her about three years ago, which is impressive given that he is in his seventies, and the wreck lies at 93M. He has just been granted a five year exploration license as a result of a Supreme Court action he has won, so he has some ambitious plans ahead to determine exactly what happened all those years ago.

Quite a few Irish divers have dived the wreck but at about €3,000/£2,000 a diver, it ain't cheap to organise an expedition. One group I know of got blown out for most of the licensed week, and ended up with one dive; bottom time 12 minutes!

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We may at last get to know what happend, interesting to know that the British secret searvice put a bid in for the wreck, something to hide perhaps?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.