YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1/2 of slut divers
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know a lot of divers on here have dived the Red Sea so I'll keep this report to the highlights.

This was my first red sea trip and my first liveaboard. The group I was with I had not dived with since Scapa in September 2006 (except for a couple of us who did Weymouth recently) so it was a good reunion. The pre-trip 'briefing' at the airport hotel had left most of us in a great mood if not a bit hungover.

The journey was great. My first time on BA and I simply could not accept that I did not have to pay for pepsi or wine with my in flight vacuum packed gourmet dinner. I'm used to cattle airlines.

The security check at the port in Sharm was hilarious. A 'sample' of the dive bags were taken for an X-ray scan - this was about 6 of the 30 or so on the bus. We were then told we had to pass through the metal detector but we could leave our flight bags on the bus!! Leading to shouts across the bus like 'Nick...... I'm leaving the AK-47 next to your bag is that ok???' 'Yes mate don't forget to leave the semtex too' 'ok nice'.

Then onto Typhoon - a stunning boat. But not nearly as stunning as the dive guides Nicole and Malene. It took some effort to not stare at these two sub-aquatic lovelies - had to keep running images of Mrs Nick in my head all week.

THE DIVING

Ras Katy - check dive. Everything ok, nice little warm up, good viz lots of fish an octopus etc. Saw my first Lionfish so I loved it. I found myself on fin recovery duty immediately as one of the group lost one on the way in leading to an early nomination for the flipper of shame - successfully awarded at dinner that evening for this occurrence.

Carnatic - Great open wreck, very atmospheric especially the stern. Saw the whole thing. The bow is the best for me, with its bowsprit still in place (thanks Kato). Got a great photo looking out from in at this point. Buddy then signalled he was feeling sick so I bagged up, we had seen it all anyway.

Giannis D - Stunning. Looks great listing over the way it does. Got into the engine room, workshop, then through lots of corridors, eventually emerging somewhere near the bridge. Moved off to the obliterated midships - met some Nemo's and took lots of photos for girlfriends little un' - then onto the bow before return to the stern gantry for a safety stop. Unfortunately my buddy is still struck down with bad sea sickness so he missed this dive.

Giannis D Night dive - Buddy still OOA. Circumnavigated the whole wreck. Great dive. Took at good long look at the coral life and if you get up really close there are loads of tiny crabs and fish in between the sections of the coral. We were asked before the dive who wanted to do a night time penetration dive I was the only one up for it so that didnt happen - big girls!!!:)

Kimon M - Buddy feeling better but he opted out of this dive. Nice wreck, really nice stern section. I like the way the wreck profiles up the reef - not suprising as she hit it at 30 knots....... Saw a decent blue spotted sting ray hanging around. Went around it a couple of times and we were done.

Ulysses - My 100th dive! Wasn't a great wreck. But lots of life on it. Lots of gorgonian fans and table corals. Penetration possible and easy as the wreck is open much like the carnatic. After the wreck we drifted along the reef for a bit before bagging up.

Kingston - Again not a great wreck but the life on the reef is more than abundant. This was a nice easy shallow dive looking at fish and bits of wreck. The two boilers are clearly visible and there is a lot of coral life growing inside them. At the stern the prop and rudder are still in place.

Crisoula K / Marcus - Whatever its called....... personally my money is on the Marcus. Anyway a great dive with the best viz of the trip at 50m. Got right inside the holds and saw the tiles. Got into the engine room and the workshop. Had a shufty around the funnel which lies on the sea bed. Saw some more Nemos. Nice stern and some great swim throughs created by bits of collpsed wreck.

Dunraven - A nice dive almost entirely inside the ship. Descended to the stern and got in via a gap between the wreckage and the seabed. Then moved slowly up the vessel. Got behind the boilers and squeezed through some tight bits in the bow.

Giannis D - Again. Got my buddy back after the Kimon M dive. So I took him on a tour of the inside of Giannis D. Great dive. Similar to the first Giannis D dive.

The Barge night dive - This was a comedy dive. Saw the biggest Moray ever. So big I think its not real - its animatronic or something - built by Tony backhurst or some other company. My buddy heard me should F*CK ME!! through my reg and he nearly spat his out. After swimming around for a bit I turned my torch off to try waving my hand about for a bit of bioluminescence - totally confused my buddy by trying to tell him to do the same. Not helped by the bioluminescence which when demostrated looked like a crap low budget fireworks display for a small colony of ants - buddy didnt even see it and thought I had gone mental.

Rosalie Moller - 45m at the stern - nice. We then moved up to the deck level at around 32 - 34m and swan through the engineers quarters and up to the funnel which has now collapsed. Saw a nice moray and a tiny tiny baby lionfish. On returning to the stern we saw the bomb damage, quickly dropped into one of the holds then got back to the shot line with 18 minutes deco ahead of us. Viz was a very snotty 5-8m. Jumped in without my fins on - flipper of shame for me. In my defence our dive guides wanted me to change my plan just before I was about to jump in and my mind was on the changes - as it happened the 18mins deco meant we went over our time and onto the original dive time I had given them in the first place. Anyway - later that night I did receive the flipper :embarassed:

Rosalie Moller - Viz much better this time. 20m. Down the shot line, over to the bomb hole and in. Turned right, went through a hold, then thorugh a bulkhead and found myself floating above the triple expansion steam engine. Saw another bulkhead in front and squeezed through the door (had twin 12's on) - then saw Malene (dont look at her bum in a wetsuit - DONT look at her bum in a wetsuit your at 42m two decks down in a wreck it is not the time!!! So I looked at her bum and carried on). The funnel is right in front of me and you could look up through the broken decks to the open water. Brilliant. Exited this room back to the engine room and exited the wreck via the vents in the top of the engine room. Returned to the shot line for 10 mins deco. Awesome dive.

Rosalie Moller night dive - A deep one for a night dive but well up for it. Quick swim around midships and then back to the stern. Heard some dolphins nearby when we were right at the stern preparing to ascend and on ascent also. They had been playing around the boat in the day.

Thistlegorm - Did it live up to the hype??? Dive 1 no. Dive's 2 and 3 yes. Did the holds, the loco's, the guns at the stern, the bow, the fo'c'sle - the lot. Dive 3 I led and we did the whole thing - literally everything. My buddy got out of the water after me and came over and shook my hand saying it was one of the best dives he'd ever done and certainly my best dive lead. I cannot believe the power of the explosion - the main deck is actaully bent back on itself right near on of the penetration points to the holds.
Unfortunately there is a downside too. The Thistlegorm is being pulled apart by all the dive boats mooring up to her. Even our line was damaging a section of her, you could see area it was secured to moving around as Typhoon pitched and rolled. I think something needs to be done - some mooring points installed at the seabed next to the wreck as the current practices can't be sustained - in 5 years I predict there will be a lot more damage to her. Mr Collings!!!! Use your voice on this one!!!

Night dive - The alternatives - A bit rubbish, but described as 'better than not diving'. A shallow pinnacle with some great gorgonian fans but little else.

Ras Mohammed - shark and yolanda reef. Nice drop off and wall. Saw the yolanda bow and all the toilets. The dive ended with us meeting Dave the hawsbill turtle - recently featured in sport diver - he got hit by a prop and had his shell repaired with fibreglass. He looks well and we met him having lunch.

Ras Peter - 'The dump'. As the Israeli's pulled out of the Sinai they lobbed some of their fighting vehicles into the sea in a very environmentally sound disposal plan. This has led to the odd site of a pile of these vehicles going up the reef wall from around 32m to 12m. After this there was little else to see. Last dive of a great trip.

Back to the boat - packed up. Onto the hotel - got the kit drying. Quick tour of Naama bay. Quick shower then out on the wee wee. Started at Camel bar - the roof bar has to be one of my favorite places in the world.

Rolled in at 04:30 much drunkus. Buddy wakes me a 09:45 saying I'm about to miss brekkie. Brekkie and 14 cups of tea later and I'm on a souvenir hunt.

Flight back ok. I eventually get back home ater being up for 24 hours. Mrs Nick gets her 'hello present'.

End:teeth:

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Nick

Thanks for posting the report - good reading.

The interesting bit for me was probably one of your poorest dives: Ras Peter - The dump. I have been to the Red Sea quite a few times but not heard of this site.

I first dived out of Sharm in Jan 1980 as a 15 year old kid with my old man. At that stage the Sinai was still Israeli, although handover had been agreed. I would quite like to dive that site and think that some of the stuff that is there, we had seen top-side given the whole place was really bristling with "hardware".

Looking back at my log books we dived with an Israeli outfit called Lucky Divers and did both shore dives out of the back of a 4 ton truck and out of their boat Lucky Caroline. I can still remember the T shirts they sold with a diver on the front. I think there were 2 hotels in Sharm at that stage....

Thanks for posting.

Simon

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Bu55er me mate (well, not literally).

I've just had a quick shufty at your profile and seen you weren't even born when I first dived the Red Sea.

Suddenly I feel very, very old. :frown:

Snash - better go and have my afternoon nap now :)

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
Great report Nick

Thanks for sharing! Any chance of some pic's, nothing specific you understand ;)

·
1/2 of slut divers
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing! Any chance of some pic's, nothing specific you understand ;)

If you can tell me how to do it certainly. Do you need a website to host them? If you do then I cant as I haven't got one. But if its a case of uploading from a PC, then I'll do it next week at work instead of working.

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
If you can tell me how to do it certainly. Do you need a website to host them? If you do then I cant as I haven't got one. But if its a case of uploading from a PC, then I'll do it next week at work instead of working.
Ok, I hope i get this right:embarassed:

You firstly need to upload your picture to a "hosting site" (I think thats what they are called!) I use TinyPic - Share The Experience!™ . Then cut and paste the IMG link into your YD thread!

tinypic is a free site by the way!

I think this is right but i'm sure someone else with a lot more knowledge will be along soon.

Without looking I think there is also a Sticky at the start of the photography forum as well!

Hope this helps

·
1/2 of slut divers
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I hope i get this right:embarassed:

You firstly need to upload your picture to a "hosting site" (I think thats what they are called!) I use TinyPic - Share The Experience!™ . Then cut and paste the IMG link into your YD thread!

tinypic is a free site by the way!

I think this is right but i'm sure someone else with a lot more knowledge will be along soon.

Without looking I think there is also a Sticky at the start of the photography forum as well!

Hope this helps
Right, I'll have a crack next week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pictures

Hi Nick,

Fish ? - seen 'em.

But on the basis you followed her through the wreck I must say I can't wait for the ones of that dive guide's rear quarters you mention... !!

Perhaps that one of Kato's of you and her on the dive deck would be good for starters ?!

She made a happy man very old...

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
The interesting bit for me was probably one of your poorest dives: Ras Peter - The dump. I have been to the Red Sea quite a few times but not heard of this site.
If it's the site I think it is, our guide called it the 'tanks' when I did it year last january. Viz was rubbish, reminded me of a good viz day back in the UK :angel:

Lloyd

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Dump

No, the viz was fine and, for what it was, the site was interesting - bren carriers/jeeps etc just rolling down the cliff.

But once you've sat in the carriers and had your piccy taken well, there is nothing else to do - the cliff wall below the surface is just that - bare rock - I finned on for 20 mins and there was no change.

So 10/15 mins max at the site itself, and then you begin to wish you'd done something else.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
No, the viz was fine and, for what it was, the site was interesting - bren carriers/jeeps etc just rolling down the cliff.

But once you've sat in the carriers and had your piccy taken well, there is nothing else to do - the cliff wall below the surface is just that - bare rock - I finned on for 20 mins and there was no change.

So 10/15 mins max at the site itself, and then you begin to wish you'd done something else.
Ras Peter is a superb dive. The problem is people are not looking for the smaller stuff... Inside a lot of the cars are shoveller shrimp and their Goby partners doing the usual thing and loads of the minutae of the Red Sea. Next time you're there take some time to look for the smaller stuff (whichever site you go to) - you'll be amazed at what you can find in a simple coral head or bren gun carrier. Dawn and I spent an hour on the site and could have done more.

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts

Yeah that's definately it. We spent 5 mins looking at the wreckage, did a bounce and came back to the vehicles to have a look around, was the last dive of our hols too.

Some shots from the site (ugly and uncorrected): Ras Peter/The Tanks - a photoset on Flickr

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
LLoyd - thanks for posting those photies - nice one.

Next time I'm out there, I would really like to dive that site. As I said, more from a nostlagia/ how the place has changed since I first went out there type of kick.

Good to see that in the relatively short time the stuff has ben there, that liffe is tarrting to colonise it.

Simon.

·
Registered
685 Posts
But not nearly as stunning as the dive guides Nicole and Malene. It took some effort to not stare at these two sub-aquatic lovelies :
Now come on Fido

Thats not what you were saying after a couple of days on the boat.

Have to agree with you on the security checks getting in and out of the harbour.

Now remember dont be a "stranger in the night"

Kato

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi Nick,

Fish ? - seen 'em.

But on the basis you followed her through the wreck I must say I can't wait for the ones of that dive guide's rear quarters you mention... !!

Perhaps that one of Kato's of you and her on the dive deck would be good for starters ?!

She made a happy man very old...

Hey Buddy

I think I will leave it to Mel Brooks "The Producers"

Max Bialystock: [to Ulla] Even though we're sitting down, Mr Bloom and I are giving you a standing ovation.

Kato

·
1/2 of slut divers
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Kato, hi Simon. I'm just waiting to see a post on here from either Nicole or Malene as to my comments :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

I'll have some piccies on here this week for all YD'ers - of the dive sites not the guides, I didn't actually get a photo of either of them as explaining this to Mrs Nick may be a task. However I believe between Simon and Kato there are a few photos of the girls!:embarassed: Perhaps one of you two could put a photo on here for YD'ers to admire???!

Simon / Kato - my CD of all my photos is with Paul at the minute but I will be bringing it to the next association meeting so it can then be circulated around Skeg' SAC for you guys.

Nick

·
Registered
685 Posts
Simon / Kato - my CD of all my photos is with Paul at the minute but I will be bringing it to the next association meeting so it can then be circulated around Skeg' SAC for you guys.

Nick
Fido

I ventured up to Skeg yesterday and Ray is in the process of putting a disk together and is just waiting to collect your pictures at the photo night in Boston.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts