YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, has anyone been on the liveaboard M/Y Orchid out of Sharm, our club is thinking about booking it in March next year. just wondered if I could get a bit of feedack on it .

Ta Mark

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
yes the orchid is a great little boat !

u wont go far wrong with the dive sits the guide and the food and accomodation !

me and silvafish did this boat last year and loved it !

great area to kit up a very nice area for meals and chilling out and the cabins although are basic are very comfy !

good luck with what ya choose best wishes leigh

ps drop me a pm if ya need any detailed info about the boat

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
was on it in april.
cabins basic but ok-all en suite and air con some of the time.
only beer on board so if you want something stronger do a duty free shop.
good briefings and you can stay with the guide or do your own thing.
nitrox onboard and 15ltrs if you want.
guide likes you to keep the dives below 60 mins .

would go again.

and tito is still mad.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Haha I had forgotten about Tito. Yes he was bonkers when I was there too. Is the DM who looks just like the man from the Halifax adverts still there? My only concern was that the guided dives were a bit rushed. If you have someone in your club on the trip that knows the area well enough already I would do your own thing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
nice boat, friendly crew, pretty good food, good briefings. One of the best holidays i've had. :teeth:

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
guide was a guy called rami.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's not the best looking boat, but the crew certainly make up for this, their great - I had a fantastic week on her and would definitely use her again.

Paul.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Was on the boat in April, had a blast!!!

Have to agree with the chaps above, its not the biggest boat, but the crew make up for it, great bunch of guys. Ive been on a few liveaboards and this was the best by far!

gogs

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
had a good week on it last octoberish. friendly crew & reasonable food

only downside is the nitrox - we had "free nitrox" included, but their membrane compressor just couldn't cope, so we ended up with less than half the dives on the promised 'trox :-(

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info , most useful I am hoping I can get 13 people in our club interested , got 7 already so fingers crossed , I am definatley going for this boat.There has been 1 or 2 negatives on it but all in all she sounds about right for us.
If I may ask a question to you divers who are experianced in organising trips.

My plan is to get the Names of the people who want to go and as soon as the list is full call a meeting , mainly to get the deposits as fast as poss then the boat can be booked,How much input do I need on things like peoples own medical, life insurance and what kit they take , Yes I could ask my Dive officer but I would like to sort as much as I can without his help ( He could do with a bit of a rest from organising trips )
As I am a Sports diver I am not yet officialy allowed to organise club dive trips, but our dive officer is overseeing what I do.and Me and my mate are hoping it may go towards our dive marshal which we need for Dive Leader.
If someone could tell Me how they have organised trips from start to finish it would be great.

Ta Mark

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info , most useful I am hoping I can get 13 people in our club interested , got 7 already so fingers crossed , I am definatley going for this boat.There has been 1 or 2 negatives on it but all in all she sounds about right for us.
If I may ask a question to you divers who are experianced in organising trips.

My plan is to get the Names of the people who want to go and as soon as the list is full call a meeting , mainly to get the deposits as fast as poss then the boat can be booked,How much input do I need on things like peoples own medical, life insurance and what kit they take , Yes I could ask my Dive officer but I would like to sort as much as I can without his help ( He could do with a bit of a rest from organising trips )
As I am a Sports diver I am not yet officialy allowed to organise club dive trips, but our dive officer is overseeing what I do.and Me and my mate are hoping it may go towards our dive marshal which we need for Dive Leader.
If someone could tell Me how they have organised trips from start to finish it would be great.

Ta Mark
I appear to have finished the thread , did I say something daft if so sorry.

·
Registered
335 Posts
fingers crossed

Hopefully a photo of MV Orchid in April 2007

·
Registered
335 Posts
wow it worked!!

a couple more of inside the boat, one is the party on the last night which was great fun, and the other is Rami, the dive guide. Most of mine are under water (or involve me in fancy dress or bikini - neither of which i think i should inflict on you:teeth: )

·
Registered
298 Posts
a couple more, inside the boat, one is the party on the last night which was great fun, and the other is Rami, the dive guide. Most of mine are under water (or involve me in fancy dress or bikini - neither of which i think i should inflict on you:teeth: )
Was the picture of the party on the final night taken of the ceiling after you had fallen over or had it just been snowing a lot?! :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
yes i've just had a sarky PM about that, I'm learning so leave me alone:embarassed: Hopefully it will follow soon, cant understand why it didnt work!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ok here goes

1 - 20 of 27 Posts