YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PSAI Instructor Trainer
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Timing and I had a great Days diving yesterday in Weymouth.
Diving from Topgun via breakwater diving.

Went out early at 8.am from Castletown, sea state flatish and fairly foggy! Takes about 50 mins to get around Portland Bill to the site of the M2 Submarine.

She is in 30 - 35m of water laying upright on a sandy bottom, (She sank in 1932 with the loss of her crew.)It took a couple of goes to get the shot-line onto her. However, no big problems.

Tim and I dropped onto the shot, (vis 6 to 8 metres) did a bubble check at 5 metres and dropped down to the submarine, she is intact and if it wasnt for the marine life on her and the rust on close inspection you could believe she was just sat there. We did a slow circumnavigation of the sub, caught between looking at her and watching the profusion of marine life swimming about.

We examined the open hanger forrad of the conning tower (she carried a seaplane) but didnt go inside, a mix of respect and the sobering and sad thoughts for her crew.

Anyway on 23 mins it was time to come up! We had decided to follow the shot line up and then blob off, being leary of the westerly tide and the poor surface vis. Nice slow ascent with a couple of minute stops.. Made a pigs ear of putting the blob up after a 3 min stop at 5 metres, Tims reel didnt like my DSMB so kept comming off. still no real probs...

Surfaced and Budgie kindly came over and picked us up.. The luxury of the dive lift after Sundays boat was much appreciated by me! and I suspect by Tim.

Picked up another pair and a solo diver ! and sailed back to Portland harbour in ever increasing sunshine. A classic dive much recommended.

after a quick fill, tea and a bacon buttie we went back out to do the Hood.

vis was excellent 8 to 10 metres and we played around the outside and a couple of looks inside but didnt do the full swim through. There are 100's of spider crabs around, Tim trying out his new camera!! He managed a good pic of a nice cuttle fish anyway after an enjoyable 40 mins we came up on a blob and floated gently into the harbour!

No stress at all other than my crap neck seal, resulting in a wet dry suit! a 46 min enjoyable dive with the sun shining!
Lots of fish, huge fecking crabs and a nice wreck.

all in all a good day out.

Ian

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Ian
glad you had a good time, better than what I was doing on the 27th anyway, bleedin work!
Not got your gas blob yet then?

C U soon
Matt

·
PSAI Instructor Trainer
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Matt,
have ordered my glas blob, so its on its way!
The M2 is a great dive, we should organise to dive it this summer chum!

Bucks, I would highly recommend it.

Ian

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Just got back from a gruelling trip back from Dorset after a great week-off down there.

This was my first trip back down south since becoming a diver and I was desperate to try some of those great dives I kept reading about.

Ian managed to get us onto the Top Gun (cheers Ian) and I must say that I was interested in meeting the skipper, Budgie, that so many people have commented on.  

The diving was bloody excellent (!) fab vis and mucho life much of which I hadn't seen before - the best bit, as Ian says, the cuttlefish just sitting there! Outstanding.  And as for all those spider crabs - I tell ya those buggers must be breeding like rabbits.  Add that to the flatties and tompots (which were bigger than I'd expected) and of course the excitement of diving on two famous wrecks well what a recipe for a successful dive.

As Ian said I was trying my new digi cam and housing (Olympus c5050z and PT015 Housing) which took a little getting used to at first but quickly got the hang of pointing and snapping - have to build up that patience to become a better photographer!  Well worth the money especially now that the price of the camera has dropped significantly.

Piccies of a spider crab and cuttlefish follow.

Ian, I will send you that piccie of yerself in the Hood.

Anyway, if you can, do these dives.

err, how do I add piccies to the post?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (abucksdiver @ May 29 2003,12:37)]Ian,
Thanks for the report... the M2 is on my "must do" list, but as yet, I haven't got round to it!

Oh, well, one day...

abucksdiver
And after reading that, they're both on my 'Deffo To Do' list!! Thanks Ian & Tim for those top reports!

Quick question to those who might know, as I don't, and not to appear disrepectful or inappropriate but, seeing as she (M2) is only in 30-35 metres, I take it, rightly or wrongly, that the bodies of the boat's compliment were recovered? Or is she an 'in state' War Grave??

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Bren

As far as I am aware, the whole crew is still aboard. One of the rumours about her sinking is that, in an attempt to get the plane into action (or recover it) quickly, the access door to the hanger was opened too early (or closed too late).
A fishing boat captain who witnessed the event contacted the Navy to enquire if they had a sub. that dived stern first.
I think it took the search vessels about three days to find it.

The fact that it went down with all hands is pretty well known, but would you believe some moron tried to steal some brass from the conning tower last year. I think he got lynched. You`ll probably find out something about it in Divernet

Regards

Steve

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Bren,
only 2 bodies were recovered the peto pilot in full gear and a rating who was bought up by a h/hat diver who was worried about getting trapped by the poor guy.

The hanger is well worth a look if you are the first inside, all the hatches are sealed and any holes that appear are soon fixed by navy divers.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Thanks both Steve's,

I must gen-up on the story of the M2 - disgraceful I wasn't clued-up more before going into bat! I've got Innes Mac's videos of 'The Mystery of HMS Affray', 'The Wrecks of the Battle of Jutland', 'HMHS Britannic' and 'HMS Royal Oak' (great videos all) and I'm about to buy his new one of 'The U-boat Wrecks of Operation Deadlight', which looks killer - and a lot of it taken in 'ambient light' (sans strobe!) at 60-70 metres plus!!

By the way, if any of you are interested, you can review and buy all of Innes's diving works (books and videos) from his website:

http://www.periscopepublishing.com/

and have a look at his current and forthcoming videos and books here:

http://www.periscopepublishing.com/Forthcoming.htm

where you can preview video film clips and look at stills photography of his expeditions. Recommended for all wreck wallahs.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Bren

The M1 & 2 boats were modified K18 & 19 boats, changed during initial construction during the end of WW1

The K boats were steam powered, fire, boilers and smoke stacks!. The stack was collapsed and sealed before diving. The Ms were converted to deisel.

I read this in a book called 'The K Boats' some years ago. Some more information on the boats can be found here

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/ks000001.htm

Adrian

PS One of my old dive buddies said his granduncle or grandfather (I cant remember) was one of the crew. We both dived the M2 a couple of times. He never said how he felt about this.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Thanks for this Adrian,

Yes, it kind of makes the dive more poignant when your oppo has an 'attachment' in some way to the wreck you're on, sort of 'personalises' it a little more. Thanks for the link too.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi all,

a link for anyone wanting to dive the M2 etc  www.divedorset.com also they are running a subfest on the 11/12th june diving the UB74, M2, Sidon and the P555 from Top Gun, I did one last year and can recommend it.

Safe diving,
Steve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts