YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see from the scuba magizines that M26 nitrox valve is raising it's head again. There as been many a debate, including petitions to the goverment on this issue.

I have several questions to ask members:
  • Who at the moment manufactures M26 valves?
  • Who at the moment produces a manifold M26 valves?
  • What pressure rating is this system for - 232 or 300bar
For me as tech diver, it's looking as if t's going to cost me a fortune to comply. If this comes into effect, Gas blenders will be placed in very awkward situations to fill none compliant cylinders.

I've already met this problem last year in europe - I now travel with a full set of adapters for all my regs - M26/M25 about £10 each.

ZoeB

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
I see from the scuba magizines that M26 nitrox valve is raising it's head again. There as been many a debate, including petitions to the goverment on this issue.

I have several questions to ask members:
  • Who at the moment manufactures M26 valves?
  • Who at the moment produces a manifold M26 valves?
  • What pressure rating is this system for - 232 or 300bar
For me as tech diver, it's looking as if t's going to cost me a fortune to comply. If this comes into effect, Gas blenders will be placed in very awkward situations to fill none compliant cylinders.

I've already met this problem last year in europe - I now travel with a full set of adapters for all my regs - M26/M25 about £10 each.

ZoeB
I think you may have answered your own question.

But if your a little sceptical, see here:

Underwater Explorers

Second from bottom. £105.00 for Agir-Brokk crossover valves and manifold.

Dave C

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just checked the link - if you click on info it says it's a M25 (plus spelling mistake)!

zb

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
just checked the link - if you click on info it says it's a M25 (plus spelling mistake)!

zb
No no, if thats what the prices for M25 are, you can bet the M26 will be very similar.

Dave C

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
The M26 manifold is not yet widely available, but they are around. I found a shop in Brescia, Italy that sells them (mail order too) for €120 or about 80 quid.

ScubaPro seem to be the main driving force of the stupidity but do not yet list M26 valves on their website.

The web page shows 232 and 300 bar models.
MOMODIVE SHOP- il tuo negozio virtuale - subacquea, apnea, nuoto - Accessori & Ricambi

As the time gets nearer more will become available or the standard will atrophy and die. Take your pick of which.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank for the link - in the UK maufractures and shops seem to be slow in stocking and making valves and manifolds for the change.

This legislation will happen very soon, and from high profile whispers, proberly this year!

It effects me as I blend for a dive school. If I don't comply to the law, i've been told it will be in breech of HSE and will invalidate my insurance!

Z

·
10,679 Posts
This legislation will happen very soon, and from high profile whispers, proberly this year!

It effects me as I blend for a dive school. If I don't comply to the law, i've been told it will be in breech of HSE and will invalidate my insurance!
The thing kicks in in August 2008 - that has always been the date, anything else you have heard is rubbish. You will not be in breach of HSE regulations - you will simply be in breach of EU regulations if you use the wrong valve whilst "at work". Not sure how you would be liable as just a blender, if at all.
As best I know the EU directive has not yet been ratified so it is not yet UK law.
Regrettably the stupidity of a law is inversely proportional to the UK government's willingness to enforce it. In time this nonsense will either be squashed at EU level or become a banal reality of our hobby, along with O2 stickers and annual regulator servicing.

Chris

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
ScubaPro seem to be the main driving force of the stupidity but do not yet list M26 valves on their website.
Hi Chris,

I'm not disputing this but I'm curious - what makes you say it?

Regards,

Mark

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
No no, if thats what the prices for M25 are, you can bet the M26 will be very similar.

Dave C
No no no double no.

M25 is the cylinder neck thread which won't change. M26 is the valve to reg thread which is changing from 5/8 BSP. There has been alot of confuson over this.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Let's face it, if it becomes law then we'll all just end up putting M26 valves on everything (probably a lot of EAN22 fills being asked for) so we'll be right back to where we started.

Aircon in Germany makes M26 valves. I think Draeger do as well.

Cheers,

Stuart

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I live in a country where laws will be ignored. I wait wait until the confusion goes down a bit before changing. The problem is more when travelling, especially outside the EU. Will the Americans do a similar change I wonder? (Even they may not be as stupid as a Brussel Beurocrat!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wrote to my MP about this particular bit of nonsense and had a reply back. He's going to take it up with the relevant Secretary of State, although I'm dubious as to whether or not that'll make any difference.

There are times when I wished I lived in a country when badly thought out legislation like this hits the books everyone just ignores it and carries on as before. Ah well...

Danny

·
Registered
564 Posts
No no no double no.

M25 is the cylinder neck thread which won't change. M26 is the valve to reg thread which is changing from 5/8 BSP. There has been alot of confuson over this.
I am certainly confused. Does this mean that the manifold thread will still be ok and you would just have to change the cylinder valves for a twinset?

Cheers, Ant

·
10,679 Posts
I am certainly confused. Does this mean that the manifold thread will still be ok and you would just have to change the cylinder valves for a twinset?

Cheers, Ant
Yes the tanks will stay as they are. Tanks neck thread is mostly M25.

Unscrew your single tank valve/twinset manifold. Insert new valve/manifold. Change DIN part of reg to new M26 or replace reg completely. Viola!!

You now have the same tank, same reg and a bill for 60 quid+. Fill with trox as before.

Improvement to safety of scuba diving - nothing. Improvement of sales figures of suppliers - considerable. Likelihood therefore of overturning legislation - go figure.

Chris

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Yes the tanks will stay as they are. Tanks neck thread is mostly M25.

Unscrew your single tank valve/twinset manifold. Insert new valve/manifold. Change DIN part of reg to new M26 or replace reg completely. Viola!!

You now have the same tank, same reg and a bill for 60 quid+. Fill with trox as before.

Improvement to safety of scuba diving - nothing. Improvement of sales figures of suppliers - considerable. Likelihood therefore of overturning legislation - go figure.

Chris
I do like a cynical man. We are so rarely disappointed by expecting the worst of people :D

·
10,679 Posts
...We are so rarely disappointed by expecting the worst of people :D
Good point Ade - nearly forgot...

DISCLAIMER

I should have said in my previous post "before unscrewing the valves on your tank please let the wind out"

Thank you.

Chris

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Good point Ade - nearly forgot...

DISCLAIMER

I should have said in my previous post "before unscrewing the valves on your tank please let the wind out"

Thank you.

Chris
That would have been a definite 'give me a lever long enough and a place to stand' moment :D

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
So, for those of us that think this is a complete load of bolox, will there be adapters for blending stations to fill M25 valves, or are we really going to have to change all our regs and valves.
Sub Aqua products sell them now. We wont bother buying them unless people start turning up with the new valves for filling

HTH

1 - 20 of 274 Posts