YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Very Senior Member
1,882 Posts
Hi all,

As the owner of a dive shop in Devon I can say I think that this whole thing is a pile of tosh. I don't know of any of my colleauges in the industry who are in favour of it. I certainly don't intend changing any of my own diving equipment to comply with this and I would urge all divers to do the same. Our own HSE actually voted against this several years ago at a European standards meeting but were out voted. If everybody turns round and sticks two fingers up to this stupid legislation then we should be able to carry on as normal.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave
what he said......

· Very Senior Member
1,882 Posts
:)

This month's Sport Diver has an interesting summary:

Originally Posted by Sport Diver July 07
The standard has been introduced to protect divers who fill cylinders with oxygen by the partial-pressure method from what may not be oxygen-clean equipment

Originally Posted by Garf
next, they'll be telling me I can't O2 clean my own bottles and regs at home, and that I have to get everything serviced at an LDS
Talking of protecting people who fill cylinders.......

"Lid coming off can of worms"

Although I'm against the whole M26 thing because its a waste of timeand unworkable..... I am not against some legislation regarding some types of servicing. I dont care who services your regs, lets face it, if you service them and are prepared to use them - it's your life.

But cylinders? the first thing you do after servicing them is go give them to someone else for filling. (except for the few who own compressors as well). Strangely enough, the first fill is when any problems are most likely to come to light. Now, a little bit of common sense is needed to put a cylinder and valve together along with a understanding of thread sizes o rings and torque settings and I'm sure many reading this will be thinking WTF.

But what about our recent experience of the new 300 bar cylinder that blew at 250 bar with the gas filler 6 inches away (he's OK now) with an extruded o ring? On examination someone had fitted 2 o rings (to make sure it didn't leak)!

So what's my point? - Loads of your are more than competent to take a valve off clean / service it and refit it. Just as many are not and know that they are not. And even more, think they are competent and are positively not.

My interest is the guys and girls filling in the gas stations round the country. I would like to see every cylinder filled to its WP after reassembly by the person who reassembled it. This is not a Pop at people doing it at home. This includes all those mail order cylinders that are assembled and shipped out empty by couriers.

So forgetting the logistics of actually doing this - Does anyone disagree that taking responsiblity for your own assembly work and filling your own cylinder rather than giving it to someone else is a good idea?

· Very Senior Member
1,882 Posts
True, but you cannot discriminate against other EU country's rules... I think the lawyers would be the winners :D

Anyway you're one of the good guys David... ;)

Chris
I know Iknow.......

But I'm getting tired of endless pages of rubbish being written by people who seem to have far more time that me to make posts.

I think the winners will be the ones who write the longest and most booooooring posts..

Any way - bring me a in-test cylinder and I will put some gas in it.... other than registering your opposition to the proposals we all need to chill out and get back to diving....

Speaking of which........ thanks for Fraser and Al suggesting I might have a touch of Hayfever, I m now taking zirtek and have cured my sinus problems that have plagued me all season :shade: I'm back diving and enjoying it!:teeth:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.