YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
41 - 60 of 274 Posts

· PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,655 Posts
Anyone care to name the LDS's which are trying to force it on us?
Fiona's for one.

My LDS has said he will fill anything until the insurance company tells him not to. I think that might be the turd in the punchbowl in the final analysis. Poxy insurance companies. To hell with them all..... ;)

Chris

· Registered
1,697 Posts
Does that mean a new EU version of DIR as you can now no longer swap a knackered deco 1st stage with a backgas 1st stage?

Blimey, can you imagine how much YD server space is going to be taken up by that? :D
Not true for all GUE/DIR standard gasses :rolleyes: 32% and 30/30 can be switched with pretty much all deco gases. If you dive mix it would be an issue, obviously.

Cheers/Nic

10,655 Posts
I'm sure when profiteering shops start getting a queue of divers asking for EAN22 fills instead of air then they may change their views on the matter of valves.
Hey now there's a thought :D

What about if you ask for a top-off and it ends up under 22? Drain it?

Dickhead bureaucrats.

Oddly enough if the new FO2 was 40% not 22% it would actually make some sense....

Chris

· Registered
88 Posts
M26 threads

Hi all,

As the owner of a dive shop in Devon I can say I think that this whole thing is a pile of tosh. I don't know of any of my colleauges in the industry who are in favour of it. I certainly don't intend changing any of my own diving equipment to comply with this and I would urge all divers to do the same. Our own HSE actually voted against this several years ago at a European standards meeting but were out voted. If everybody turns round and sticks two fingers up to this stupid legislation then we should be able to carry on as normal.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave

· Very Senior Member
1,882 Posts
Hi all,

As the owner of a dive shop in Devon I can say I think that this whole thing is a pile of tosh. I don't know of any of my colleauges in the industry who are in favour of it. I certainly don't intend changing any of my own diving equipment to comply with this and I would urge all divers to do the same. Our own HSE actually voted against this several years ago at a European standards meeting but were out voted. If everybody turns round and sticks two fingers up to this stupid legislation then we should be able to carry on as normal.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave
what he said......

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Hi all,

Just my two cents worth.

Dave
what he said......
Huurahhh !!

Graham

· Wreck Enthusiast
4,136 Posts
Some shops might refuse to O2 clean a G5/8 or A clamp though. Again I can't see how they can do that. If I want a 20/45 in my twins then you need to PP blend the mix and add pure O2. The finished mix is less than 22%FO2 so it is G5/8.
Hehe - this is just priceless!

Unless you interpret the regulations as "not air". But they say FO2 greater than 22% so that's what they mean.
Does anyone have access to the standards? I had a poke around to try to find out more about what they actually contain, but it seems you not only have to buy new cylinder valves, adapters and/or regs but you also have to pay for the luxury of seeing the standard that's about to be thrown at you as well :angry:

If this is going to have an impact on the wider public surely this information should be public.

· Registered
4,823 Posts
Does anyone have access to the standards? I had a poke around to try to find out more about what they actually contain, but it seems you not only have to buy new cylinder valves, adapters and/or regs but you also have to pay for the luxury of seeing the standard that's about to be thrown at you as well :angry:
I've put my work hat on and contacted the HSE and the House of Commons Library asking for info. as this is ridiculous. Will update as and when.

· Lucky Man
2,080 Posts
Hi all,

Just my two cents worth.

Dave
Get's my vote :)

10,655 Posts
I've put my work hat on and contacted the HSE and the House of Commons Library asking for info. as this is ridiculous. Will update as and when.
Yeah... woot woot

Clare for president....

Chris

· Registered
4,823 Posts
Whoa - no chance of stopping it but we clearly need clarification of requirements being placed on divers and fill stations under the new standards.

All relevant HSE personell are 'out'. May be 'in' on Friday.

Sound of teddy being tossed firmly out of pram.

10,655 Posts
Whoa - no chance of stopping it....
Sorry - yes I understand that. Its like a pikey truck with a wonky wheel, you can't stop it but if you know where its going you can at least go the other way ;)

Chris

· GUE Instructor
9,157 Posts
Can someone just explain all this crap to me in words an idiot (let's assume I'm going to have to explain it to Howard) would understand.

I breathe 32%, 50%, 100%, 21/35, and 18/45

Exactly what am I going to have to do to my two twinsets and two stages, my twinsets regs (one set) and my stage regs (one set)

sorry to be picky, but the more people explain the implications, the more I'm starting to get the impression I need different cylinders and regs for each mix!

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
If the new ruling comes in the threads will be different up one size, hence the MK26 when or if this happens you will need to change the thread on the regs to fit the new MK26 manifolds about £40 each for the din fitting and the manifolds and valves on the stages. cost well between £30-40 for the valve and £125 for the manifolds

however it is all up in the air at the moment

load of bollocks if you ask me as my LDS will fill and service my cylinders as they do now

Graham

· Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,235 Posts

Exactly what am I going to have to do to my two twinsets and two stages, my twinsets regs (one set) and my stage regs (one set)
Garf, this is based on on what I understand the regulations to be, but like others, I haven't actually read them as yet - waiting with baited breath for President Gledhill's report :)

Your stages and twins for 32% will all need to have the new M26 valves, and you will have to replace the 1st stage reg for these tanks too, for the new M26 product.

Your mix twins, as they contain gas not over 22% O2, can remain as they are, as can the regs you put in them.

So in short:

50% - new valve and reg
100% - new valve and reg
32% - new valve and reg
21/35 - OK as is
18/45 - OK as is

Just when you thought diving was expensive enough.

10,655 Posts
EAN 32 - M26

EAN 50 - M26

Oxy - M26

Tx 21/35 - anything you like apart from M26

Tx 18/45 - anything you like except M26

So. Your single tank EAN 32 rig is M26. Stages are M26 and twinsets are (I assume) DIN G5/8.

You need to update your stage regs to M26 and the valves on the stage tanks and the single tank for 32 noddy dives. Use a stage reg on the single tank noddy dives with an spare octo off another stage reg (unless used as a travel gas..).

Assuming two stages (one 50, one 100) you will need three new valves of M26 fame and change your stage regs over to M26 if the kits are available, or buy new regs.

Or get everything filled at somewhere that is ignoring it and do nowt....

Chris

10,655 Posts
41 - 60 of 274 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.