YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. So nothing yet has made me angry enough to ever post on here - well, nothing that I COULD post on here..but something happened today which I could do nothing about and it made me MAD !
I was at work, on a frontline ambulance - as usual - and we were called to an Road traffic collision on a particularly notorious bit of road in Wiltshire.
Anyway...One elderly lady injured with neck and back pain, so we set about doing our business treating her.
The carriageway was closed and as you can imagine, there are lots of people out of their cars, generally dossing about as it is clear that due to the accident, they aren't going anywhere for a while.
Then - to our utmost disbelief - my crewmate and I turned around whilst we were in the process of strapping our little old lady to a spinal board etc - to see a man, in his 50s maybe, taking pictures of her with his mobile phone !!! :mobilepho
:angry: :angry: :angry:

Aghast, we politely but firmly asked him not to do this as it obviously infringed our patient's privacy and dignity. He was nothing to do with the incident and did not know anybody involved. He had walked some distance from his car which was some way back in the bank holiday traffic - and just began taking photos of us and our patient as we were treating her.

Then, he retorted with a sneer : " I can take photos if I want to !"
We replied that we and the patient would rather he didn't and again explained why we thought it was inappropriate.
He retorted again " I can take whatever pictures I want so long as I don't publish them".
Now, I am a healthcare professional and the public face of the ambulance service. It is the closest I have ever come to actually seriously considering thumping someone !!!!
Thinking of my job, I gritted my teeth and marched up to a police officer on scene, explained what this lowlife was doing and to deal with him.
We left the police to it and continued our treatment in the ambulance. The policeman popped his head in a minute or three later to say that he had warned the man that what he was doing was inappropriate and was met with the same "I know the law better than you do" drivel. The policeman said it was a long time since he had wanted to thump someone as much as he did right then !!
Needless to say, as far as we are aware, it is not a crime to take pictures of complete strangers receiving treatment in unfortunate situations. Sad, considering we often have to cut clothing off people to assess and treat them. Not very nice for anyone, never mind little old ladies ! But then you don't expect some sicko to stand there with his mobile phone doing just that !
And no, it wasn't a chavvy, ferile thug. It was a well dressed, tweeded, suited and booted 'gentleman' in his 50s. I expect he thinks he is a pillar of society, a law abiding citizen. Well, he was abiding by the law this time. Even though I think his actions were nothing less than sick. I don't even want to imagine what on earth he was going to use the pictures for. Own personal use ??
I expect they will end up on some sick website.
If it weren't for my job, I think I would have snatched the phone off him and lobbed it over the nearest hedge - having broken it first.
What is with people these days ???
Does nobody give a sh!t any more ?
I see plenty of things in my job as you can imagine, but this one today made me particularly angry. Mainly just the attitude.
So I needed to let off steam seeing as I couldn't do it there and then.

Grrrrrr:angry:

And reeeelaaax....:angel:

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Did you get his car's registration details? If so, post 'em up here; I'm sure somebody might be able to use that information.

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts
Surprisingly, whilst what he was doing is on the limits of bad taste, it is not illegal.

On a photo course a while back, the chap leading the course explained that if you're in a public place then you have no right of privacy, i.e. to not be photographed.

Sadly, the copper probably knew this too, but it's really despicable behaviour and totally voyeuristic. :frown:

I blame the 24 hour news broadcasters and the tabloid newspapers.

Well done for not giving him a slap.

·
13.05.2012 QPRmageddon Day
1,948 Posts
To answer your point.
No , nobody does give a shit these days . Because basically people don t care if it s not their immediate problem.
Folk may pontificate and murmur all they like but if it s not in their own backyard then you re on your own.
But ..on the brighter side.............Beckham is back in the England squad.

And the warmer diving season is just around the corner

·
Lord Protector of the Pies and Defender of the Bee
1,021 Posts
Just cus something aint illegal doesnt mean your right to do it, if the bloke wasnt a tosser he would know that. On the plus side i bet even his mum thinks he is a tosser as well.

·
Registered
685 Posts
What makes me laugh is on the bbc news website the have the following statement:

"Do you have a comment or news story?
Have you taken a picture or filmed some video that tells a story? If so, BBC News wants to hear from you. Read below to find out how to get in touch with us."

In other words you pay (through the overpriced licence fee) us to report the news, but we would like you to do all the leg work for us.

That and the usual comments after an incident like; the recent uk earthquake/ ferry fires/ london bombings etc. Have you been affected send us your....

I must explain I have had some bad experience with local press misquoting me so I think all news reporters are vultures.

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
Happens a lot doesn't it, well done for not thumping him, if your trust is owt like ours you'd have been out on your arse before you got back to base!

We had an incident last weekend where one of my collegues managed to roll an ambulance, the following day the front page of the local "Rag" was a half page photo and half page editorial about the incident. The only person seen using a camera phone was the wrecker truck driver!

·
Get a grip
610 Posts
There is a general lack of simple consideration for other's,and common decency now. Just because someone is in middle age does not mean that they were not a git when they were younger and are simply an older git.
People have too much,do not have to help and share to get by now,and live in a me me me state of mind,with instant gratification a priority.
I fully agree about the media.

·
3 boats down from the candy
230 Posts
jay walking

isn't it some kind of offence to be walking on a public highway, i think the americans call it jay walking, pc might have been able to do him on that
regards and keep up the good work, paul

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Unfortunately, you'll never change people like that. I was first on scene at a car crash, one car slamming so hard into the side of the car it made it roll. I did my "first aid bit", whilst a pedestrian called the ambulance. The car was on it's side and the lady was strapped in. So I asked a very tall man to hold her head from drooping and to just talk to her, keeping her calm until the professionals turned up whilst I made sure the other guy wasn't hurt.

As I walked over to his car I noticed about 30 other "chav" types had crawled out of their holes and they were taking pics on their mobiles of the whole scene. I was gobsmacked. How sick of people. What if there'd been a death? Just wrong on so many levels.

But that's what some people are like and although we should say how we feel I think we also need to not get wound up by these people because in the end we're only upsetting ourselves. It's a fact of life and sadly not a lot we can do about it.

I hope the lady in your accident was ok. And well done for doing a fantastic job. Always a job I've wanted to do, but too old now to change! I did look into joining the service but it was when I lived in Wales and you needed to be fluent in Welsh. The thought of learning both at the same time sent my few brain cells into panic mode!! :embarassed: I admire you all, very much.

·
Pimp my twinset!
200 Posts
Your story reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

I recieved a call from my Dad saying that my Grandmother had only a few hours left to live and if I wanted to see her one last time I needed to get back to Shefffield ASAP. I was on a course in York so I got in the car and came home to see her. She was old and we were expecting her to die soon so it was not a big shock.

The problem came when my Uncle got a camera out and started taking photos of her, minutes before she died. He did this when I was the only other person in the room. I told him to stop as none of us wanted to remember her in the state she was in. She was conscious and was looking at us but could not speak or move to say how she felt about this. His response was the same as the man at the accident. "I can take pictures of whatever I want". I was furious. My Mum is so upset that there are photos of her Mum dying. It has caused such a rift in my family. I was also worried that he was going to start snapping away at her funeral but I think he realised what me and my Dad would do if he did.

Sorry for the rant but it feels good to get it off my chest.

I just don't know what some people are thinking. Would they like it if someone took photos of them in their most vulnerable moments? Probably not.

James

·
Doing it Richard
149 Posts
I wonder if the guy would have been so keen on members of the public taking photos if it had been his mother being treated.

Well done for not losing your cool - You are still out there making a difference and that's what really matters. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, you'll never change people like that. I was first on scene at a car crash, one car slamming so hard into the side of the car it made it roll. I did my "first aid bit", whilst a pedestrian called the ambulance. The car was on it's side and the lady was strapped in. So I asked a very tall man to hold her head from drooping and to just talk to her, keeping her calm until the professionals turned up whilst I made sure the other guy wasn't hurt.

As I walked over to his car I noticed about 30 other "chav" types had crawled out of their holes and they were taking pics on their mobiles of the whole scene. I was gobsmacked. How sick of people. What if there'd been a death? Just wrong on so many levels.

But that's what some people are like and although we should say how we feel I think we also need to not get wound up by these people because in the end we're only upsetting ourselves. It's a fact of life and sadly not a lot we can do about it.

I hope the lady in your accident was ok. And well done for doing a fantastic job. Always a job I've wanted to do, but too old now to change! I did look into joining the service but it was when I lived in Wales and you needed to be fluent in Welsh. The thought of learning both at the same time sent my few brain cells into panic mode!! :embarassed: I admire you all, very much.

Yes, I'd thought of joing the Welsh service too - lots of caves, cheaper houses, better pay - but can't speak welsh and wouldn't know where to start !
Thanks for all your kind comments - it's not often I get wound up in my job - I just try to remember that it's what we are there for - but arseholes like this really get me sometimes. If it had been his Mother or child I expect he wouldn't have liked it. Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself and you can't go far wrong. Obviously somebody forgot to tell him that bit....

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
i know your a proffesional but how the heck did you contain yorself from telling him to f*ck rite off!

what a total and utter tw*t:frown:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your story reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

I recieved a call from my Dad saying that my Grandmother had only a few hours left to live and if I wanted to see her one last time I needed to get back to Shefffield ASAP. I was on a course in York so I got in the car and came home to see her. She was old and we were expecting her to die soon so it was not a big shock.

The problem came when my Uncle got a camera out and started taking photos of her, minutes before she died. He did this when I was the only other person in the room. I told him to stop as none of us wanted to remember her in the state she was in. She was conscious and was looking at us but could not speak or move to say how she felt about this. His response was the same as the man at the accident. "I can take pictures of whatever I want". I was furious. My Mum is so upset that there are photos of her Mum dying. It has caused such a rift in my family. I was also worried that he was going to start snapping away at her funeral but I think he realised what me and my Dad would do if he did.

Sorry for the rant but it feels good to get it off my chest.

I just don't know what some people are thinking. Would they like it if someone took photos of them in their most vulnerable moments? Probably not.

James
That's awful - worse even. What gets me is these sick people KNOW that there is nothing you can do and are more interested in putting that point across than other's feelings. The law is an arse sometimes. Isn't it supposed to be there to protect people ??

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i know your a proffesional but how the heck did you contain yorself from telling him to f*ck rite off!

what a total and utter tw*t:frown:
I don't know. I just don't know. People who know me know that I can be a bit, er, fiery :embarassed: - but I mean well and I'm a big softie really. I suppose it was the thought of losing my job and this d!ckhead walking away sniggering, scot free, which made me think twice. And yeah, we are professionals - but we are also human and having a good rant back on station often does the trick. And here ! :)

·
Likes rummaging in rust
1,571 Posts
Just on the flip side of this, my son was involved in a road traffic accident on Thursday night when ha was struck amidships by another car. I received a phone call from his uncle who was at the scene and drove down my self. The police were at the scene and had requested an ambulance for my son. The guy who phoned me offered to take photos of the scene for the insurance company. Using his phone he started taking snaps of the general layout from a distance, when he was approached by the PC and told not to take anymore, he explained that he was my son’s uncle and that it was for the insurance company but was again told by the PC not to take anymore. I could not see the sense in this so made a quick phone call to get advice and was informed that you can only be stopped in certain circumstances and I couldn’t see where these fitted in to this case. I then asked toe PC under what grounds did he stop the guy taking photos, he then said that the driver of the car that hit my son had asked him to tell him not to take photos of her car. I again asked him under what grounds was he stopping him, he looked a bit stunned and then said it was ok to take them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts