YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

A friend of mine ordered a made to measure dry suit from Moby diving in December, they cashed his cheque 5th January and told him it would take approximately 1 month to complete !  It finally arrived approximately two months later but with a size 12 boot instead of a size 10, after informing them of this they said they didn't have any size tens so rather than delaying any longer they fitted a size 12 !
They collected the suit to rectify and told him they would immediately change the boot size and return next day!
It was finally returned to him approximately three weeks later 30th of March.
So all in all it took about three months from giving measurements and ordering for completion!
Three months is a long time to remain dry!

I ordered my made to measure dry suit from Riviera diving a local dive shop and was told approximately two weeks but had to wait five weeks, I wouldn't have minded so much if he was prepared to lend me an old semidry in the meantime but he wanted to charge me £30 per week which would have been £150 all in all ! (For an old  urine stained semi)
Five frustrating weeks dry!
The purpose of this whinge is just to let people know how long it really takes to have a made to measure dry suit, don't believe the estimates !
Whinge completed  

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>however sometimes it works out, Otter quoted me 4 weeks and it was ready in 2

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

wow lucky you !

Perhaps my friend and I were just unlucky !

They say things slow down in the South and that's very true!
My shot weight belt took five weeks to arrive from a local dive shop thankfully they lent me one in the meantime!

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

I ordered a MTM membrane from the Otter stand on 28th at LIDS and they said 6 weeks or so.  I will let you know when it arrives - either a ranting or celebrating frog will be on line then!  Dive safely.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>When i looked into suits i was a naive and innocent trainee with an instructor who was a waste of carbon, and a diving shop which doesent know its arse from its elbow.
So instead of the MTM i should have got, i had an off the peg Seac Sub which, to be honest, is shite.  I was assured that it would be Ok.  Ok my big fat wobbbly arse.  The legs are too long, the arms are too long, the body is too long.  The valves leak, its on its second set of seals and second zip.  All in 106 dives.  Amazing quality, amazing fit, amazing profit for deep suck.

Go MTM no matter how long it takes.

edit for bad spelling.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>I have always found otter to be excellent.

My MTM suit from them took 2 weeks - exactly as they said it would and I think Blanaids was the same.

Excellent guys - fantastic service.

Juz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>I ordered my MTM from Otter - they quoted 3 weeks, and it was ready in 10 days and fitted like a glove. I did have a problem with my undersuit blocking the cuff dump, and they swapped it straight away (even though it had Capenwray dog pawprints on it!!).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ April 01 2004,18:40)]When i looked into suits i was a naive and innocent trainee with an instructor who was a waste of carbon, and a diving shop which doesent know its arse from its elbow.
So instead of the MTM i should have got, i had an off the peg Seac Sub which, to be honest, is shite.  I was assured that it would be Ok.  Ok my big fat wobbbly arse.  The legs are too long, the arms are too long, the body is too long.  The valves leak, its on its second set of seals and second zip.  All in 106 dives.  Amazing quality, amazing fit, amazing profit for deep suck.

Go MTM no matter how long it takes.

edit for bad spelling.
You have me worried now as my dry suit is a seac sub membrane, although it's basically an otter suit with seac sub written on it, it even came with an otter users guide!
It's came with heavy duty zip and seals so perhaps I will be OK!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>i dont have that problem im a stock size  5 ft 10 size 10 boots
and yes the seac is otter

·
Registered
483 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>I got my MTM from Otter, took about 4 weeks, post NEC dive show so they were pretty busy. Ladies, be warened however when ordering MTM. The people who make the suits tend to forget the fact that your waist is generally smaller than your hips and to get the suit on you have to get your waist past your hips. I think they just assume they suit magically has you wearing it. My suit fits perfect once it's on, but everytime I have to put it on I have to dance halfway round the boat to wriggle it past my hips. Don't even mention getting it off!!
By the waym there are a few people in my club who have the same problem so it's not just me!
Jen

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

I have recently taken delivery of an O'three, ordered on the 16th November, delivered on the 7th March!
however, when I went to order it I was told that they were busy, and "if you can do the trial fits between these dates, it will be with you on the 7th March."
The suit was ready for the trial fit the day they said it would be, and the suit was delivered the morning of the day they said it would be.
I guess it's a matter of setting expectations , O'Three were up front and told me the dates before I ordered and they stuck to those dates.
(oh and I was pleased enough with them to order a MTM semi dry for the wife, ordered mid March for delivery end of May)

Simon A

·
Registered
14 Posts
Imported post

Otter informed me they were cutting my suit out yesterday, and I would have it well before the 26th April deadline that I set them - in fact they said 3 weeks max.  I will let you know!

Tracey

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daveking @ April 01 2004,23:50)]i dont have that problem im a stock size  5 ft 10 size 10 boots
and yes the seac is otter
I thought it was, thanks for confirming  

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andyp @ April 02 2004,00:15)]O'Three said it would take 10 weeks and took, well 10 weeks.

Bless em.

Andrew
That's a long time though isn't it !
I was having kittens waiting five weeks!
While at least they were honest with you!
I must admit my suit is an excellent fit  

·
Registered
274 Posts
Imported post

i bought mine at the diveshow on sunday - off the peg, fitted beautifully.  O Three are chopping an inch off the leg (cos i is short) and putting size 5 boots on and i can pick it up over easter - yippee!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suzanne @ April 02 2004,11:22)]i bought mine at the diveshow on sunday - off the peg, fitted beautifully.  O Three are chopping an inch off the leg (cos i is short) and putting size 5 boots on and i can pick it up over easter - yippee!!!
I was originally going to buy mine of the peg as I was told I was average size , but I was dissuade when I tried one on and they try to convince me it was a good fit but felt like I was wearing a two-man tent whilst being strangled by a madman  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Orca @ April 02 2004,10:05)]Otter informed me they were cutting my suit out yesterday, and I would have it well before the 26th April deadline that I set them - in fact they said 3 weeks max.  I will let you know!

Tracey
Fingers crossed for you  

You do realise you will have to practise inversions in the shower at Porthkerris, don't you?

Daz

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ April 01 2004,22:40)]The legs are too long, the arms are too long, the body is too long.  
Porg.....the suit is a perfect fit, you must be under tall  

Leave it wet and I am sure it will shrink to fit.....or is that jeans?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts