YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Sometimes it's almost possible to believe in fate..

My trim weights need sorting out properly so they're attached to the backplate instead of tucked in the backplate pocket.

My girlfriend is away tonight so I can melt lead with the oven without any complaints.

Daz sends me a photo of a perfect way to create a P-weight that doesn't require a bolt to hold it in place.

Thank God it's Friday. Let's play with molten lead!  

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

I daresay it won't get me sued for copyright infringement

Of course, the whole thing DOES rely on my local DIY store having some appropriate bits of metal available..

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Good luck with the smelting Dom,  Like you say that's fate  

Hi Juz,

The weights were actually a modification on the original Dom P Weight and then further modified by Wacker (Also on YD), he should be given the credit for a lateral aproach to the hi tech mounting systems on the end  

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

So, those hi-tech metal bits you used - are they steel or alu? Alu is what I'm most likely to get hold of, but I'm not sure of it's heat resistance..

Have added them to my site, btw, in the P-weight section.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Suddenly it all becomes clear!

I never actually asked, just gratefully accepted them and ran off to melt lead  

But as I had the advantage of seeing them in their pre modified state I now know where I have seen them before!

They were originally a 'L' shape with a hole either end.  They are those bits of metal you get to fix worktops, counter tops etc. to uprights.  

So while the girlfriend is away Dom, if you can't find any in the hardware store, have a look inside the kitchen cupboards  

2 weeks later when one of the cupboards falls apart, deny everything.

Although originally 'L' shaped, an additional bend was put into the upright bit of the 'L' to take it horizontal again.  Basically a dog leg type arrangement.

Daz

BTW,  They are Steel,  but I reckon Alu will take the heat.  If bolted to the backplate when the lead is being poured, the backplate should draw the heat away (Hopefully  
)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>YOU WILL BE OK WITH ALI, I USED TO MELT LEAD IN AN OLD ALI SAUCE PAN.
BY THE WAY IT WILL STINK THE PLACE OUT

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Don't worry, I've done it before - the trick is to keep the extractor fan on at all times

It's not the lead fumes that worry me - it's when you chuck beeswax into the molten metal to flux it that you get the choking hazard - thick black smoke. With a hint of honey

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

Now then
Let THE INVENTOR OF THE "WACKERWEIGHT" Put you all straight .
The L shaped brackets are Not as daz sugested.
But are 316 stainless steel BRICK/BLOCK TIES.
You could use aluminium but this would damage quite quickly compared to stainless.
The part of the bracket in the lead has holes in it to give a good key.
A GOOD BUILDERS MERCHANT SHOULD B ABLE TO SORT YOU OUT.
DONT GET FOBBED OF WITH GALVANIZED STEEL !!
Oh also not sure about the use of aluminium and lead mixing with salt water it could act like a battry being dis similare metals.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Hey... does that mean I could run my torch off my backplate? Cool!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ Nov. 21 2003,11:27)]Now then
Let THE INVENTOR OF THE "WACKERWEIGHT" Putyou all straight .
The L shaped brackets are Not as daz sugested .
And are 316 stainless steel  BRICK/BLOCK TIES
you could use aluminium but this whould damage quite quickly compared to stainless.
The part of the bracket in the lead has holes init to give a good key.
A GOOD BUILDERS MERCHANT SHOULD B ABLE TO SORT YOU OUT BUT DONT GET FOBBED OF WITH CALVANIZED STEEL.
OH also not shure about the use of aluminium and lead mixing with salt water it could act like a battry being dis similare metals.
wack
Just lateral thinking my big friend,  I did actually suggest brick ties might be the way to go in a email to Dom.

Although your point about the aluminum and lead has given me a great idea,  dual purpose wacker weight..  Helps you sink and powers your torch  
  (Edit:- Bugger Dom, got there first)

Daz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts