YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The RNLI don't want their account details given out, so there are two ways of making payments;

My preferred method is for me to be sent cheques payable to RNLI. This means your money is paid into their account.

The second method is electronic payment into my account, which I will then pass on to the RNLI. I'd prefer not to do this as it makes the paper trail more complex.

I will PM my address or account details upon request.

YD Fundraising 2007 - Amount Raised

Adrian

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
could you not set up a Justgiving site with the RNLI being the benefactor just like Chris Hall did for his MND site?
see
In Memoriam - powered by Justgiving.com

and at the top you can make your own pages.

This way you can see the donations mounting up and no-one has to do any money laundering. Also you can get the tax back to the charity.

Just a thought

Jules

·
Dark Side Member
131 Posts
Making payments to the RNLI

For the last couple of years I've been subscribing to the RNLI as an Offshore Member - I thought it's the least I can do if I'm going to be diving in UK waters. If ever I'm unlucky enough to end up calling out the Coastguard, I'd like to think that I've paid for their services!

However, I've recently spoken to a friend who works for the London Salvage Association; he told me that all the subscriptions that are collected annually go to pay the fat cats salaries at the top of the organisation and the administration staff at the head office - very little of what you pay actually goes to the lifeboats and crews themselves, is this true?

He went on to say that instead you should make a contribution directly to the lifeboat station of your choice or when you go diving slip some money into the collection box.

Can anybody confirm if this is true?

Thanks,

Tin_Bum

·
old time
6,658 Posts
For the last couple of years I've been subscribing to the RNLI as an Offshore Member - I thought it's the least I can do if I'm going to be diving in UK waters. If ever I'm unlucky enough to end up calling out the Coastguard, I'd like to think that I've paid for their services!

However, I've recently spoken to a friend who works for the London Salvage Association; he told me that all the subscriptions that are collected annually go to pay the fat cats salaries at the top of the organisation and the administration staff at the head office - very little of what you pay actually goes to the lifeboats and crews themselves, is this true?

He went on to say that instead you should make a contribution directly to the lifeboat station of your choice or when you go diving slip some money into the collection box.

Thanks,

Tin_Bum

Tin.

I won't tell you how to donate to the RNLI, as people on here would twist it about to undermine my good nature.

What myself and my boy's do now is ...... Pay straight to the station of choice.

Rgds

Andy

(( do a search under my name and RNLI donations , and you will see how much we do and how we do it ))

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks,

Tin_Bum
Last year £41.5m was spent on staff costs, of which about 75% is salaries. The rest is Pension and NI. This out of a total expenditure of £133m.

I suggest you look at the accounts, pages 26 and 27 are probably most appropriate to your question, and draw your own conclusions.

While there may be local appeals for particular projects and specified bequests, the pot is essential one big one. If a stations local donations pot was empty for a year, where does your mate think the running costs come from. Sounds like a bit of sour grapes. If he has a genuine concern, perhap he ought to speak to the charity commisioners.

Adrian

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Tim
I am not sure where the fatcats are who you refer to but organisations whether they are charities or not have costs which include salaries and other overhead expenditure. Where do you think this money comes from to pay this? Yes it is part of the money raised from people like us that donate and subscribe to it. YD members were given the opportunity to vote for the charity for this years fundraising and RNLI received the highest votes. hence us raising funds for it.
I am not sure why you chose this thread to raise your point but no one is being forced or coerced to donate their hard earned cash and I think the majority of us are aware that only part of the £ we donate actually benefits the cause.
I think any further discussion on this should be via a new thread such as non diving postings?

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Tin
I've never worked for the RNLI, although I have been pulled out of the water by them once, but I spent several years as a volunteer for another national charity which has local branches all over the country (and much of the world) each branch was expected to do it's own fundraising and contribute a portion of funds raised to the central pot, the contribution paid for top class administrators, national phone lines, publicity etc. Few people can afford to work for nothing or less than their market value and if we want institutions to be well run and managed then we have to pay for the right people to do it. I can see that in an ideal world people might be able to take a few years off and donate their time and expertise to the charity but in reality most people are parents, husbands, wives etc and have to also do what they feel is right for the other people in their lives. I'd love to go and do something more altruistic with my working day but my kids and ex wife might feel that I was being a little selfish. That's why I choose to volunteer in my spare time donating what I can in time and effort. Besides I like my sports, my house etc. and choose to work in the commercial world.

Now if the RNLI would like to hire me I would do the very best I could for them but during working hours I would want paying a commercial rate so that I could meet what I see as my obligations to my family.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It should also be remembered that the RNLI now employs full time rescue staff too. The Thames Lifeboats are manned full time, plus there are the various Beach Lifeguards for the summer season.

This on top of the admin staff, instructors and bar staff at the training college.

·
NULLI-SECUNDUS
1,016 Posts

Thanks,

Tin_Bum

Living in Poole about 1 mile from the RNLI HQ, I can see they have spent a lot of money on the new Lifeboat College. The RNLI has a open day 21st & 22nd July, come down for the day its worth a vist.
Also a lot of the money goes on over-hauls of the lifeboats, if you ever come down this way you can see all the boats moored up waiting to have work done its not just one or two its loads.
The wages what the RNLI pay is not that great have a look at this https://jobs.rnli.org.uk/jobs/current/
Thanks

·
NULLI-SECUNDUS
1,016 Posts
It should also be remembered that the RNLI now employs full time rescue staff too. The Thames Lifeboats are manned full time, plus there are the various Beach Lifeguards for the summer season.

This on top of the admin staff, instructors and bar staff at the training college.
The full time crew members only get about £18k, I think they are worth a lot more.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The full time crew members only get about £18k, I think they are worth a lot more.
So do I, although parhap the conditions are somewhat more benign than open sea. Horrible currents though.

These people are donating a lot to work in London on that money.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
So do I, although parhap the conditions are somewhat more benign than open sea. Horrible currents though.

These people are donating a lot to work in London on that money.
And not just London.

Some Offshore lifeboats have a full time employees ( Cox & mechanic ).
Offshore lifeboats have a full time employee ( normally the mechanic ).
Humber lifeboat is a full time station with 8 full time crew .
London lifeboats have TWO , the extra crew man is a vol and gets paid expenses only.

The average wage is £ 18500 , plus allowances . They are restricted to where they came be during the pager / call out cover.... Also limited in doing things in thir spare time ....
Plus , lets get one thing straight, they are on CALL 24 hours a day ,,, except when on annual leave.

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts

Thanks,

Tin_Bum
I think the same comment can be made about every charity, however without the "fat cats" at the top of the organisation doing the PR, admin and the charitable status umbrella work to name but a few, the individual stations would soon suffer and take on the look of an amateur boat club.
Then move it a stage further, where would the police, ambulance, fire and even the MCA be without their "fat cats" at the top?
I personally don't consider it an issue but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

Thanks,

Tin_Bum
A few years back, a family friend (now retired) was a Barrister for the Charities Commission.

At that time, the RNLI was one of the charities with the highest "donations to money being spend on the cause" levels of all the UK based charities...

Andrew

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A few years back, a family friend (now retired) was a Barrister for the Charities Commission.

At that time, the RNLI was one of the charities with the highest "donations to money being spend on the cause" levels of all the UK based charities...

Andrew
Do you mean to the good or bad Andrew?

Adrian

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Just to revive this sticky...

Many thanks to Adrian for his work last year.

Donations to the RNLI need to come to me now, anyone who wants details, same scenario as last year, either by cheque payable to RNLI to me, or by transfer to me and I will send it on.

Apparently, gift aid reclamation of tax isn't cost effective for dontations under a tenner.

Just Giving sites take a fairly high proportion (imv) but if it is necessary for a specific thing, then one of us will sort it out.

:)

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Just found out that my tax code has been adjusted to take into account my higher tax band which means my gift aid goes even further!

And I am a paid up member of the RNLI too :D Keep saving lives and I hope I am never one of them. (Save me please, just hope I don't need to be before some smart arse says don't save him!!)

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
JAnd I am a paid up member of the RNLI too :D Keep saving lives and I hope I am never one of them. (Save me please, just hope I don't need to be before some smart arse says don't save him!!)

If you had the RNLI logo on your hood they'd probably pick you up first as a member :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.