YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

How do you make tea in a teapot? Having a "discussion" with a cow-orker who claims you should put the teapot on the stove while it is brewing.

Utter nonsense, obviously, but is he alone in his insane ramblings?

dan

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hi,

How do you make tea in a teapot? Having a "discussion" with a cow-orker who claims you should put the teapot on the stove while it is brewing.

Utter nonsense, obviously, but is he alone in his insane ramblings?

dan
Never seen or heard of it done that way before. Simply pour boiling water on the teabags and leave to mash. IMO.

Cheers/Nic

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
I was taught by my granny, who made great tea.

1. pour hot/boiling water into the teapot to warm it.
2. Empty out hot water
3. put in tea leaves (not new fangled tea bag rubbish)
4. Take teapot to boiling kettle and pour in boiling water. n.b. water MUST be boiling.
5. Cover teapot in tea cosy to keep warm while the tea is brewing.
6. prepare the cups with milk and sugar (always milk in first)
7. wait for tea to brew properly
8. pour tea into cups and hand to drinker

Of course all I do is stick a bag in a mug and pour vboiling water on top. :angel:

Pete

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
My old Nan used to first pour some hot water in the teapot, rinse and then pour it out so as to "warm it", then re-boil the water and pour it straight into the teapot.
As she always used tealeaves the taste was far superior than any tea bags. Messy if you don't have a strainer, but much better.

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
Nearly ditto!!

2. Empty out hot water
4. Take teapot to boiling kettle and pour in boiling water. n.b. water MUST be boiling.

Of course all I do is stick a bag in a mug and pour vboiling water on top. :angel:

Pete

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
you gotta warm the pot first whether with tea bags or loose leaf variety.

I tend to leave the warm water in the pot till just before the kettle has reboiled then empty it quick and throw the required number of bags in 1 per person and 1 for 'the pot'.

in work its just lob a tea bag into a mug and chuck the water in.

milk always goes in last and no it doesn't make a difference if its first or last.

of course there are teas that dont need milk lemon being the obvious but that is instant tosh anyway- and Earl Grey but I am heathen and put milk in Earl Grey.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
The reason you put cold milk into the cup then poured the tea into said cup was because old fashioned china cups couldnt withstand the shock of the hot water, the milkk absorbed the hot shock.

As for the method of making tea I'm with the Granny recipe.

Matt

ps I make a great cup of tea!! (my wife says so) :)

·
Registered
10,794 Posts

2. Empty out hot water

Pete
Wot e said

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
you gotta warm the pot first whether with tea bags or loose leaf variety.

I tend to leave the warm water in the pot till just before the kettle has reboiled then empty it quick and throw the required number of bags in 1 per person and 1 for 'the pot'.

in work its just lob a tea bag into a mug and chuck the water in.

milk always goes in last and no it doesn't make a difference if its first or last.

of course there are teas that dont need milk lemon being the obvious but that is instant tosh anyway- and Earl Grey but I am heathen and put milk in Earl Grey.
Me too :D

But I only drink weak tea. When I'm making a pot of tea for friends I do it just like you and PeeBee :teeth:

I can't actually believe DanE has started a thread about making tea in a pot !
Does that have something to do with Capital radio this morning and Johnny asking for catch phrases when you blow the house up making tea in the morning
"Brew and blow" :p

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
Chri$t, that's what my long suffering girlfriend means when she says "This stuff doesn't brew itself" :)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I did't want to be a nuisance :)

sixie said:
Does that have something to do with Capital radio this morning and Johnny asking for catch phrases when you blow the house up making tea in the morning
Nope. Am a Virgin listener in the mornings :)

dan

·
12,604 Posts
Me too :D

But I only drink weak tea. When I'm making a pot of tea for friends I do it just like you and PeeBee :teeth:

and in case you didn't hear about the story here it is BBC NEWS | England | Wiltshire | House is destroyed by explosion

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
Now then, when I did my tea tasting course at Brooke Bond...

Water boiled in urn

poured into mug with leaves (no preheating)

brewed for precise time

poured into bowl (gotta be a bowl so you can "see" the colour)

Precise quantity of cold milk added via a syringe

Tea tasted by slurrping it off the spoon - to form an atomised spray

Swill and then decide

If you don't want to pee every 5 mins spit

Then repeat for the next 2-300 teas

Check your notes, decide which teas you want and in what quantities for each blend, blend and taste.

Should only take a couple of mins.

Cheers, Paul

Ps I'm sure the tea council would be able to help, as would any major tea blender

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Nope. Am a Virgin listener in the mornings :)

dan
I would be, and used to be, especially when it was Chris Evans :p,, but I can't get it on my mobile phone radio :sad:

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
The reason you put cold milk into the cup then poured the tea into said cup was because old fashioned china cups couldnt withstand the shock of the hot water, the milkk absorbed the hot shock.

As for the method of making tea I'm with the Granny recipe.

Matt

ps I make a great cup of tea!! (my wife says so) :)
I think I read somewhere that it's 'common' to put the milk in first - the logic being that if you have good quality china it can withstand the boiling water, whereas if you have crap china it's likely to shatter, hence the milk going in first to cool the tea slightly.

Not sure that this applies these days, though :)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, what I'm seeing here is that no one sticks a teapot on the stove? Excellent...

dan

·
12,604 Posts
I think I read somewhere that it's 'common' to put the milk in first - the logic being that if you have good quality china it can withstand the boiling water, whereas if you have crap china it's likely to shatter, hence the milk going in first to cool the tea slightly.

Not sure that this applies these days, though :)
You can't call Matt common. a Jonah maybe but not common, I have met him and he's definitley not common:)

Reactions: MATTBIN

·
WHOO HOO...look free mask and smorkel thingy.....
1,647 Posts
aye warm up the pot first
pour in tea leaf or bag 'whatever'
boiling water next
and leve to brew

pour into cups
sugar milk as you like ..
mmmmmmmm......:teeth:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts