Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and financee are plannign a 3 week jaunt to maldives for honeymoon

the three resorts we are considering are:

Paradise Island Resort
Kuredu Island
Sun Island Resort and Spa

we have narrowed it down to these for August 2008 (we know its the rainy season)

please don't say anywhere else azs we have looked at all aspects but want to know about diving at these three specific resorts

ta

Moya

·
You can't kill an idea...
373 Posts
Hi,
Can't help with the diving I'm sorry as we haven't been there :) but I have been doing some research on the Maldives as we are hoping to visit.

You may want to have a look at this site as part of your decision, there are certain islands tourists are being asked to boycott in support of some much needed regime changes.
fom-resortlist

Have a great time!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kuredu

The Dragon and myself went to Kuredu 2 years ago.

Go to the Sangu water villas, they're worth the extra.

We loved kuredu, the house reef is fantastic. Don't expect much night life (I suspect you'll be organising you're own).

However I have to agree that Prodivers are a load of tish, bad comunication and terible dive briefs.

Bottom line is we'd go back tomorrow.

Dave

·
Fastest Gas In The Midlands
167 Posts
Kuredu
went there last year, has a nice enough house reef--even has its own small wreck, easy to get to house reef--walk up the end of the quay--jump in thats it, u on it :)

Prodivers--very big dive centre--did some very interesting dives with them,the caves,shark dives etc etc--i enjoyed the diving--but it can be a bit manic at the dive centre--it has a buddy board--for house reef dives--just book yer the size of tank you want day before and away you go :)

i found the briefings ok and well presented--i had one advantage :)
everytime i dived i dived with a instructor(same one all the way during hols)
because of my air consumption being so low(no brag) other divers where up after 40mins--we where down for over an hour--although dive limit is one hour :)

the only thing i can say about teh resort is--its not really a all-inclusive island:reasons below:

1. if you want bottled water--you pay ?? can be expensive as i was drinking in excess of 8 ltrs a day !!! you will need that if diving a lot in the hot climate.

2. the bar is all inclusive as long as you dont go past the local cheapo drinks,
although they do happy hour on cocktails everday.

i am off to the Maldives next Friday(big grin) to Kuramathi for 16 days--great island --great diving--and a truly all inclusive island which includes all prem drinks--cocktails--water and Nitrox is free from dive centre :)

i know you asked for info on the above islands --but i had to mention Kuramathi. :angel:

but i would go back to kuredu if i had the chance and if the price was right.

hope this helps.

Tommy Gore

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
We did our second/first honey moon on the Maldives. A bit better then the Center Parks gig we did after the wedding :D (potless and passport problems)

The amount of people on the island who were bored out of their skulls was incredible. I don't know what they were expecting on an island you could walk around in Min's but they sure as hell didn't get it.

I loved the Snorkeling and i was pissed off with the diving. Very very very expensive for not a lot. They wanted £15 for the boat trip that took 20mins maxand about £25 for the single tank dive. Mind you compared to the amount I paid for a warm glass of undrinkable wine it was cheep.

I was gutted at the crap dive sites we were put on. No manta cleaning stations no whale sharks :( it was rubbish. I booked in August specifically for these events but they just dumped us on the outside of the island reef and thought wed be happy with a turtle and a glimpse of an Eagle ray.

All the standard excuses.... this group of divers is too inexperienced to do XYZ good dive. This group of divers is too inexperienced to cope with manta encounters :( :angry: What a load of bollocks.

I will do the Maldives again but only as a livaboard gig. If I went land based again id take a lot of good books and stick to the world class snorkeling.

ATB

Mark CHase

·
Founder of the S.F.T.D
523 Posts
Forgot to mention the price the charge for diving was criminal and you don't know what dive site your going to until your on the boat :angry: . We ended up diving some site three times. House reef is good but Pro Divers just want your cash and plenty of it. We have been to the Maldive 7 times and Summer Island was the best by far. Great Dive school, excellent guides. Would never go back to Kuredu, if you do go however take lots of Ant Spray as the place is infested with them and they bite.

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
I was gutted at the crap dive sites we were put on. No manta cleaning stations no whale sharks :( it was rubbish. I booked in August specifically for these events but they just dumped us on the outside of the island reef and thought wed be happy with a turtle and a glimpse of an Eagle ray.
Just got back tonight from a 7 day liveaboard there. Saw a whale shark off the back of Sun Island, more mantas than you could shake a stick at, grey reef sharks and hammerheads :) Mind you, I have been 13 times now and it's the first time I've seen a whale shark there. We were very lucky.

I've been to Kuredu twice. I wouldn't go back. Kuramathi is better and their all inclusive package is actually all inclusive, though they told us that the bar shuts when the last person leaves, which isn't true. At 3am they put all the bottles away, start looking at you sadly and the cocktails get increasingly stronger.

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts