YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, long shot i know, but anyone going to the maildives in june ? am staying on Bandos island from 1st to 15th. if anyone going and fancies a few dives then drop me a line. Or if any one has any experience diving from Bandos then any info greatfully accepted.

Cheers

Wooflad

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
Hi there, long shot i know, but anyone going to the maildives in june ? am staying on Bandos island from 1st to 15th. if anyone going and fancies a few dives then drop me a line. Or if any one has any experience diving from Bandos then any info greatfully accepted.

Cheers

Wooflad
I think Bandos is not far from Male? If it is then its where me and the missus went for part of an island hop and she snorkelled for the first time, after I taught her in Sri Lanka.

Great diving in and around the islands anyway.

Have a great time....graham

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Do the Maldives Victory if you get the chance, nice big wreck with vehicles still in place

yes nice wreck in 30m max all the doors are off so you can have a nice look round .

ps

dont let go of the shot line, as it runs a bit over the wreck ,

last time i dived it, a boat load of divers jumped in, and no one got on the wreck ,

had it all the my self :teeth: :teeth:

·
Life is rushing past!
1,206 Posts
Do the Maldives Victory if you get the chance, nice big wreck with vehicles still in place
Where abouts is the wreck, I'm going out the last 2 weeks of June and am staying on Hakuraa Hurra.

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
I've stayed on Bandos 4 times, feel free to ask any questions you want.

The Maldives victory is a must (it's next to the airport) but again beware of the currents, every time I've dived it has been different, sometimes no current at all and other times you've had to hold on tight. They class it as an advanced dive because you have to be able to dive to 30m to get to the wreck.

The dive centre is good, it was better when Axel Horn ran it, but it's still good. It will be quiet when you are there so you may have days when you can't get up enough numbers to get the boat out, still the house reef if good and worth a few dives.

Club Member Photos Gill

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers

Hi there,
Thanks all for the replies, the victory sounds a must. Am a bit worried about the comment it will be quiet and there may not be enough to take the boat out. WHY ELSE WOULD YOU GO TO THE MALDIVES IF NOT FOR THE DIVING....LMAO. If the people there dont want to dive they should go to benidorm ( not slagging benidorm its just that i cant spell Alcudia...lol )
for the kareoke ( cant spell that either ) and bingo.

I think im gonna do a first when i get back and actually write a trip report....DOH !

Cheers all

Laterssssssss Wooflad

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
House reef

Hi there Jezza,
Just a quick question, can you just buddy up with someone, hire tanks and weights and dive the house reef, ( after an orientation dive ) or do they class a house reef dive as one of your package ? I was wondering because i was gonna save the package dives for boat diving, and just have the occasional bimble on the house reef. If you can just hire tanks and weights , you wouldnt happen to know how much it costs ?

Any help greatfully recieved.

Cheers

Wooflad

·
Registered
97 Posts
When did you last dive this wreck. I am not sure the vehicles are still in place...

The only thing that I saw that you might see in old pictures are the radios, these are lying about the ship where everone has moved them and then left them.

The thing about diving the maldive victory is it is quite a long run in a dhoni, resorts tend to want to avoid it a bit in favour of closer sites, from my opinion.

Still a cool dive though, lots of radiators lying about the wreck. If you are interested you can search u-tube as I have seen a 8min approx video of it, not the best but still a good insite into the wreck if you are likely to dive it.

The dive is made better if you are with a guide that knows you, then you may get to go to the props at 36m and penetrate a bit further into the wreck.(although this is technically illegal with the dive laws in the maldives.)

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
Hi there Jezza,
Just a quick question, can you just buddy up with someone, hire tanks and weights and dive the house reef, ( after an orientation dive ) or do they class a house reef dive as one of your package ? I was wondering because i was gonna save the package dives for boat diving, and just have the occasional bimble on the house reef. If you can just hire tanks and weights , you wouldnt happen to know how much it costs ?

Any help greatfully recieved.

Cheers

Wooflad
yes you can just buddy up and go and dive the house reef, but you do have to pay, don't worry to much about the 'packages' just do the diving you want, the at the end of your stay they will work out the cheapest 'package'.

Prices from memory, (i think I have an old price list upstairs somewhere) about $30 per dive plus boat fees, $10 for one trip, $17 for 2 trips in one day. I normally do 15-20 dives and end up paying about £300-350.

We normally stay b&b and then eat in the sea-breeze cafe or the sundowners bar. Prices are about $10-15 per head. Only really drank water with meals.

Make the most of happy hour :D , buy all your water that you will drink the next day, (and wine to take to dinner) and save 20%.

As for the Victory, there aren't any vehicles on it, (I can't see where they would have been either), it's only 20 mins from the island by dhoni and every time I've been there we've dived it, make sure you let the dive centre know that you want to, watch those currents though (and the fish hooks in the buoy line).

When we were last there there were turtles laying eggs ( by the sundowners bar) on the island at night, and another time they were hatching - so keep your eyes out.

I don't know what rooms you've booked, but if you've gone for the standard - then put in a request for a room as close to the dive centre as possible, it's across the islands from the main bar/'disco'/restaurants (10 min walk), right next to the sundowners bar/ the best bit of beach/the chamber, and mins walk to the pool

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Jezza

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bandos

Hi Jezza,
Thanks for the info , it was very useful. We are BnB , that seemed like the best option after reading reports on trip advisor. We are booked in in pleb class huts so i think i will try to get an upgrade to a beach villa if they have any left.

Cheers

Wooflad

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
the plebs villas are the beech huts, get hold of your travel agent and put the request in asap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts