YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Mrs B. wants to take me diving in the Maldives this November (work hioliday is already fixed so we can't move the dates)

It seems to be the beginning of the better weather but having read some sites and reviews it seems that it can be brilliant in November or rubbish or somewhere in between :(

Anyone got first hand experience or thoughts on what the weather is likely to be like and what the diving conditions are likely to be.

Many Thanks
Mal

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Not the same time of year, but have been September and July. Weather mixed. One time walking ankle deep in water for the day because of the rain. Would have a fair few heavy showers but these quickly passed and it remained lovely and warm the whole time.

One day it rained for both dives, had no impact when on the dive. One rough boat dive, but the dive itself was fine.

Hope this helps a bit. Then again I try to get the cheapest deal I can to the Maldives so I can spend more diving when there.

Overall, out of four weeks there had about three days raining all day the rest mainly short but heavy showers for a few minutes, the rest of the time glorious sunshine.

·
Twin Set? Nah, give me gills instead.
187 Posts
We went last November for the 12 day trip on the Sea Spirit, and for the first 4 days we had winds of up to 50 knotts and boy did it rain!
The dive guides did find us sheltered dive sites, but vis was poor and it was quite dark at depth for those few days.

After that, the sun was out and it was hot for the rest of the trip, with fantastic diving, close shark encounters , mantas etc. We would go again in November.

In fact, we went back on the same boat in March, and although the weather was better and we had longer dives with Mantas, we thought, all in all, the November trip was the better one .

Peter

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
last time i was out there it was the first week of December , the Weather spot on, hot sunny no rain ,, other time was jan 3rd hot and sunny ,, rain for one day out of the 21 i was sunning my self ,, hope you have the same luck as i did weather wize ,, mel

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Mal
We've been going for the last 10yrs and were on Sea Queen (MST) late October early November and the only time we had rain was on the day we were drying kit. In all the trips to the Maldives we've only ever missed 1 days diving due to bad weather...oh dear an expensive but very very nice trip to the spa finished off with a cocktail or 2.

The weather can be a real mix but most of the time it's short and heavy showers and then glorious sunshine
Happy & safe diving and just go for it...enjoy
Kasha

Hope my 2p worth was

As Auqa Maira said check out trip reports on MSTand remember if your on a dive and it's raining you can't get any wetter but you may enjoy watching the guys on SQ or SS pop lunch in a bag and drop for the guys on the Dhoni to pick up in between a choppy crossing coming back for Baa Atoll

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Mal,

You're going to get lots of people who tell you that they've been in November and it hardly rained at all. But it's a risk as the weather here isn't that predictable. I've been in May for 2 weeks and it rained for half an hour. However, I'm here at the moment, just starting my 2nd week and it's rained every day. One day it rained for 15 hours, solidly and continuously. Of course, it doesn't really affect the diving though some sites have been too rough to visit, but I'd be climbing the walls by now if I was a non-diver.

Jason

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Maldives weather
Located north of the equator in the Indian Ocean, the island nation of the Maldives enjoys a hot tropical climate, with plenty of sunshine and high humidity. The average temperature is around 28C, with the heat staying fairly constant throughout the year. The best time to visit the Maldives is between November and April, when the weather is dry and sunny, and the region receives up to 10 hours of sunshine per day.

Weather in the Maldives - Best time to visit from November to April
Two monsoon systems dominate the weather pattern of the Maldives, and bring both a rainy and dry season each year. The northeast monsoon occurs from November to April, creating the dry season, and calm sunny days. This is the busy tourist season, with visitors enjoying temperatures that range from 25C - 29C, and gentle coastal breezes that help to temper the humidity. March and April are the hottest months, when temperatures can reach up to 32C. November and April are the recommended months for divers, with the best underwater clarity and vision.

ps mel ..watch out for all them single cylinder gueeeeeeeeee divers ,,

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Reactions: Mal Bridgeman
1 - 10 of 10 Posts