YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>These are all taken with a Sony Cybershot DSC P1 (3.2MP) But they are resized and I didn't do the Tiff thing first. Just went straight to J-peg. But IMO they still look nice

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Apart from the spot in the bottom center (which I know can airbrush out if I set my mind to it)... this is one of my fave pics. Blue trevallys on a wreck.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

Nice !.

I like the shot of the whip coral.

Darren

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

IMHO probably some of the best quality photies we've seen on this board. I agree, the whip photie is special. Is the wreck the 'MV Victory' or on the wrecks from the Southern Male or Ari Atolls??

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>All pics taken in South Male Atol, wreck is at Kuda Giri not sure if wreck has a name and I think it was a tug boat. Max depth of 30m.

The coral whip was originally taken as a colour pic and I brought up the contrast when I converted it into black and white. This makes it looks way more amazing than the original!
I use a very basic photo editing program called Irfanview, which you can download from the web in a few mins.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Yep,

I've dived that wreck. Here's me coming out of the forward hold hatch-way. Did you penetrate it? Did you see the massive resident turtle with the two huge Remora stuck to its shell?? Top stuff.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hey, those pics are excellent, Lisa! I too must say I liked the whip a lot.  

When it comes to compressing the images you should make sure that the resolution is set at 72 dpi, since we don't need more than that with today's screens.
If your programme has a "save for web" option it will take care of that for you, otherwise you most likely have to go into the property of the image and change it there.
When you then save it they should be more easy to get down to a reasonable size.

Kyrre

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Hey Lisa - beautiful pics from a beautiful part of the world. Agree with Bren - probably the best so far. I bet the tiffs are excellent when printed.

What set up did you use??

Kirky

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Yes I would be very pleased to have a framed copy of the whip pick on my wall at home. quality stuff.

Keep them comming

ATB

Mark Chase

PS

Bren M8 is that hair or a light algi growth on your head
?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
 thanks for all the kind words about the pics.

Kirky, - see the camera details at the top. I had a "marine pack" good to 30m that is made esp. for the camers. Cost me an extra 200 squid but that was about 3 years ago. Cheaper now I think.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/p1.html  - see here for a review and images of the camera and housing if you're interested.

I had it on auto everything/ macro function for the leaf fish. The camera is very limited in manual adjustment (the only bad thing about it IMO) and you do have to take a few pics of the same thing to get a decent shot. I took 10 or so of the lionfish and ended up with 2 good ones. The others were out of focus because the vis was not so hot.

Thanks Kyrre for the advice on resizing. I'll make a note of that! My editing program is pretty basic. I brought the dpi down to about 60 for some of them, and then shrunk the pics some more till they were 30kbs. Probably a long way to do it, but I got there in the end ;)

Bren - nice pic of you on the same wreck. I notice you are not "Doing it right!"  Hee hee!

I went inside the wheelhouse but didn't delve in any further as my buddy (my husband) only had around 25 dives at the time so would have been bad to get him to follow me/ leave him outside! And no, did not see the resident turtle but the dozen or so batfish on the reef followed us all the way round as we slowly surfaced while drifting round the reef. They were wonderful to watch!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lizardfish @ Sep. 24 2003,16:07)]Bren - nice pic of you on the same wreck. I notice you are not "Doing it right!"  Hee hee!
Ah, I know but I do try!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I went inside the wheelhouse but didn't delve in any further as my buddy (my husband) only had around 25 dives at the time so would have been bad to get him to follow me/ leave him outside! And no, did not see the resident turtle but the dozen or so batfish on the reef followed us all the way round as we slowly surfaced while drifting round the reef. They were wonderful to watch!
Yes, along with the small Morays, the Jacks, the Batfish and the many well-taken corals on her deck, there was a shoal of teaming Baracuda in her lea, just off to aft-starboard, looking back towards us from the reef - as she lies starboard parallel to the Teella. Seem to remember something of a nice current running too, so being in the forward hold was something of a pleasure. Ascent was in the blue and ended up drifting quite a way from the wreck. Happy days. I'll dig out some of the pics from that dive and see about getting on here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts