YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Two weeks to go before my trip to the Madives, 26th Sept.
Sun Island resort, My first trip to the  Maldives and I know it may not be the best dive resort in the Maldives but I have the " Other Half " to think of now, ( Non Diver ).
Anyway to the point, any of you YD's got the little gems of info one would like to share before we go.
All I can promise is an in "Depth" trip report, so you "Dry Baggers" can feel a little warmer as we head towards the winter months.

Regards

TOG Diver.  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Bren worked in the Maldives for several years, Peter. I suggest you e-mail him.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Noticed it was your Birthday there on the home page ;) many happy returns!

Was in Maldives about 9 months ago. You lucky thing!!

It is an amzing place. Coral badly damaged due to bleaching in many areas so don't expect to see anything amazing with regards to corals OK. Apart from that - it's full of life! Huge schools of blue trigger fish, unicorn fish, sharks, rays, turtles, moorish idols, lionfish, eels... wow!

You don't really need any advice apart from HAVE FUN! The resort dive shop wll tell you everything you need to know. Unless, someone on this board can comment on your specific resort and dive shop.

Be prepared for deep, drift dives. Maldives depth limit is 30m but who's to know what you get up to...? ;)

Would reccomend you do a night dive or two. Magical!

Am jelous!

Lizardfish x

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Muldives diving is like country and Western Music. You can haveany music you like as long as its country or western.

Moldives is all about drift dives. BIG drift dives. The currents are fearce so finning is a definat waste of time. Get an SMB and hang on to it as sea condiditns change very quickley and geting lost is common.

If you get fet up looking at hammer heads and eagle rays then , try and get a dive on the Victory Wreck its fun-tastic.

Have a great time

ATB

Mark Chase

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Pete
Stayed on Sun Island last year so if you want any specific info feel free to PM or email me, as for the diving i think lizardfish and Mark pretty much summed it up, it's okay but not spectacular although we did get buzzed by a whale shark on our first dive!

The island itself is top notch, i have travelled all over the world and i can honestly say it's the best resort i've ever been to.

Have fun

paul

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Many thanks for the info gentlemen.
Looking forward to the fast drifts.
Trip report to follow  !!!

Paul are you a "Blade" or an "Owls" fan. I'm Sheffield 6, accident of birth as I say until we get back to the Premier !!!!

Dive Safe & Risk Assess

TOG Diver

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Sep. 14 2003,22:10)]Moldives is all about drift dives. BIG drift dives. The currents are fearce so finning is a definat waste of time. Get an SMB and hang on to it as sea condiditns change very quickley and geting lost is common.

Mark Chase
I have just come back from the Maldives and not all our dives were drifts.  Our guide always checked the currents for us.  They ranged from practically none to moderate.

We were also asked if we wanted to hire reef hooks which were useful for some dives when we were at Manta cleaning stations and for waiting around where the sharks hang out.

Fiona

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Pete
I'm actually a London Red exiled in Sheffield but i used to live near the lane and my next door neighbour is the blades physio so i guess i'm a blade (as my second team), was out with michael Browne(sp?) & Jack Lester the other night!

Who do you dive with in sheffield??

paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts