YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

This is how one can screw up a dive. Waiting for buddy to kit up. The wait was about 3 minutes in water waist high. I forgot to mention air temperature around -12deg C + wind factor. I went down and when I went to have a dash of air in my wing, the inflator froze open. Inflated my 100LB wing like the zeppelin and shot me up through 1 inch of ice. At least I was only about in about 6 meters of water.

This is a lesson well taught > get suited up and jump in without waiting. Equipment from the vehicle and straight into the water!!!

This also shows that regs are not the only things that go wrong in the cold. Oh, by the way my buttons on the computer were glazed too, but I didn’t have to do any thing with that.

At any rate, we still managed to decorate a tree under the water, collected toys for the needy and we had fun:)

Lawrence

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I had the opposite happen on a New Year dive last year, Lawrence. My BC inflator froze shut, so I had to jump in from the boat with almost no air in my BC. Not a good situation. It was working fine after a couple of minutes in the water, though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Hi John I guess over inflation and no inflation can both be bad, eh. Good to know these things, There is always new experiences that one can learn.

Where are you at with the temperature and weather in Sweden at the present time, John?

Lawrence

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

It's fairly mild at the moment, Lawrence, about 2-3 degrees in the middle of the day. The temperature in the sea last time I dived (10 days ago - I've been in the UK) was 4 degrees.  It snowed heavily last weekend but it all thawed on Monday, so we're back to normal now. The snow doesn't usually settle for any length of time until after Christmas, although we had a blizzard that lasted for two days in October this year and the snow stayed around for a week. But that's exceptional.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts