YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mary and I have decided to do a 2 week mission in Malta and Egypt.

week 1:

Malta.

fly home to make a connection for bugger all pounds for

week 2:

Egypt.

Plan is to dive our asses off. What I think would be cool is some nice scenic drifts/drop offs etc with any wrecks we can cram in, but I don't want to do the tourist gaggle crap in bunches of 20. We are looking at Early September for this, and it looks easily doable. Kit is minimal as it will be warm and we will just take the essentials. Accomodation will be somewhere to get head down that is clean and secure, and grub we will eat what the locals eat - the best way to holiday!!

Any advice for dayboats, specatacular dives and ace top notch dive guides appreciated!!:teeth:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
if ya do day boats i suppose the usual tiran islands and the thistlegorm is a must

if ya dont mind a stoney cove early morning start !

all of the dive sites around ras mohamed are excelent especialy ras gasslani !

what a lovely drift it was last year !

also sharks and yolanda is ace ! i also liked sharks observatory too !

i dont realy know much about malta apart from gozo is supposed to be nice !

anyway good luck jay best wishes leigh

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Must agree for Egypt I liked Tiran and Ras Mohammed, I have always dived with Emperor Divers out of Sharm and found them fine.

In Malta I liked the El Faroud wreck, I believe two more wrecks have been sunk off Gozo recently too but I haven't dived them yet. I used a bunch called Paradise Bay Dive School, they use a boat to get you out to some of the dives too.

Enjoy

Lyv

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Jay

Sorry, I've just got back from a night dive :D and need to get my act together :frown:

Will get back to you tomorrow with info/recommendations about Malta (if no-one else does in the meantime) - and yes, as Leigh and Lyv said, Gozo is nice too :sun: ;) :thumbsup:

Sue

·
Registered
115 Posts
Malta.
There is also a plan to sink a second wreck close by the Tug Boat Rosie at Cirkewwa. I believe its scheduled for end of June 07. That will make 4 decent dives in that area alone. Three wrecks off of Mgarr on Gozo as well as the Blue Hole, Azure Window, Coral garden and the Inland Sea at Dwejra Point. Comino Caves are also a must.( Boat Dive). Another wreck just along the coast heading towards Valletta from St pauls Bay is the wreck the Imperial Eagle. The Blenheim Bomber is a nice wreck too. You also have the tug boats St Michael and Number 10 at Marsascala and of course the Um El Faroud tanker at the Blue Grotto or Wied Iz Zurrieq.
That little lot should keep you more than busy for a week.

Theres lots of basic accomodation available on Malta and all for about £100 pppw.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy your Malteese diving as much as I do.

Red Sea.
Can recommend Camel Divers at Sharm. An excellent set up and do day boat diving packages.

Safe Diving
SteveM

·
Registered
755 Posts
In Malta I've used Dive Deep Blue. They are based at the top of the hill behind Bugibba and Qwara. A good operation. They came to pick us up from our hotel and planned dives to suit our needs.

You must dive the Um El Farood, a good wreck dive, and the caves at Comino, which are mostly very good swimthroughs. (Comino is an island between Malta and Gozo).

Their website is Dive Deep Blue Scuba Diving Center/School Malta and Gozo

Hope you have a great time out there.

Ian

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
I also wholeheartedly agree with Ian ref: Dive Deep Blue in Buggiba having just got back from Malta 2 weeks ago. Great, great bunch of people, fabulous service and the best dive outfit I have ever dived with bar none.

Whilst we were there we checked out some of the other dive outfits mentioned on other threads (we drove past 3 of them every day!) and we deffo made the right choice. Easy parking too if thats a factor, some of the other places looked a right nightmare if you have your own rental car.

Air Malta flights are the nuts too - sooooo much leg room. Nic and I were so bowled over with the range of diving on the islands we both agreed we prefer it to the Red Sea for sheer diversity.

Have a good 'un !

HTH

Graham :)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Gozo

I prefer Gozo to Malta for accomidation, less touristy in my opinion.

Frankies is a nice outfit, but we were diving un-guided, using Frankies purely for cylinder and lead hire.
Who needs a 4 x 4 if you've hired a Matiz!
Blue hole, inland sea, tug boat Rozi are all good.
Camino caves is well worth a visit.
And I really like Ghasri valley and Ta'cenc.

:teeth:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imperial Eagle, Faroud (2 dives here maybe) Beaufort bomber, Rozi, HMS Hellespont all decent dives in Malta.
Plenty more ive missed. I never got to Gozo though so hope to remedy it this year.

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
Try PMing SimonTW re Egypt... He knows a lot about Hurghada, reckons the diving is top notch from there. Would also I'm sure, be able to give you the heads up on best accommodation for your budget. Might make a change from Sharm.

ScubaSue has to be the girl for info about Malta/Gozo!

Pete

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Right then.....

Bubblemaker seems to have summed things up nicely, so that's saved me a lot of thinking time.

But in addition - the two of the three wrecks off Gozo were sunk last August at Mgarr/Xat L'ahmar - the Karwella and the Cominoland are within drifting distance of each other (trust me on that one :redface: ) the Karwella is the more interesting of the two, and is the one with the VW beetle on the deck - the third wreck there is the Xlendi Ferry, which is now no longer penetrable as it is shifting and collapsing. If you are diving with a centre from Malta, they usually run one trip a week over here to do one of the two wrecks, and hopefully, usually the Blue Hole/Azure Window/Inland Sea at Dwerja.

The Um El Faroud and the Maori are both top dives off Malta, the first for the sheer size of the bugger and the way it looms up from the distance, and then the Maori, although it looks like a pile of rust, for the historical significance.

All the dive centres on the islands are also licensed by the PDSA (no, not the establishment for sick animals - the Professional Diving Schools Association - a Maltese governing body) and so lots of hoops have to be jumped through to please them too. To be honest there aren't any bad centres, but it depends on what you want from them, especially regarding group sizes etc.

For more general tourist information have a lookie here

Early September would be a perfect time - the kids will all be back at school, the weather will still be warm, and the water will be about 27 degrees or so - although long wetsuits are recommended as some of the exit points are 'interesting' :frown:

If you want any more info, please feel free to pick my brains - I still have a couple of cells left.

Oh, and regarding Egypt - Dahab :sun: is the place for me, if ever I manage to get back, I just can't be doing with the hassle in Sharm, it's waay to touristy for me these days.

Cheers

Sue

PS - Jackdiver - I dived Ta Cenc this afternoon - I found a seahorse :D :D :D :thumbsup: and a baby blonde ray the size of a saucer (a new member of the mafia is born :teeth: )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts