YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi all,

I've attached a couple of photos that were taken in Malta last week that I've taken the liberty to share with you. If anyone could shed any light on a couple of questions I have I would be most grateful. I have a Sea & Sea MX5 MkII and have just done something very stupid. I went to remove the batteries for storage till Stoney next weekend and as a reflex action opened the camera housing. The only problem is I had a half used film still in it!! A long shot, but would the 15 odd pictures I've taken be ok to develop or is the film a write off? Also, one of the photos is of a bottom feeding longish type of fish, I was told that it's possibly a Lizard Fish, but I'm not convinced. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Ian

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Not at all mate, pleasure to see good photos on here! Viz and sea-life look great.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Verry nice pics Ian
The first one are Black-Tail Bream (Oblada melanura )
The next 2 are as you stated Lizardfish (Synodus saurus or Synodus synodus ) can`t tell from that angle sorry.
The other one is of a cardinal fish ( Apogon imbertis ) and a fire worm ( hermodice carunculata )
I think the Sarfish is a Echinaster sepositus  but I am not shure on that one.

Hope that helps
MIchael

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Yepp Peter that one is deffo a Synodus Saurus

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi all!

Thanks for your kind comments about the photos, glad you liked them. Glad I bought the strobe now! Thanks for identifying the fish for me aswell.

Kind regards,

Ian

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Sorry John,

Just seen your reply aswell, thanks for that, I'm off to Plymouth in the next half hour, will put the film in a 1 hour place and let you know how I got on!

Thanks again,

Ian

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

cool pics mate..
Hmm wonder what it feels like to dive in a shorty wet suit
good vis as well im suitably jelous
Steve

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi Steve,

Dunno mate, that was my girlfriend in the shorty, i was in a 5mm Oceanic Shadow, wish i had taken my shorty now aswell.

Thanks for the comments regarding the photos though. Not sure how the ones I will take at Stoney this weekend will compare though, definately won't be done in a shorty though! I think my girlfriend is going to have a bit of a shock!

ATB,

Ian

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Oct. 03 2003,21:57)]PS You should be able to save most of your shots. Only the part of the film not in the casette will be spoiled.
Ey-oop John,
                   The 'photos that have been exposed will be the film that's already out the plastic reel. It's only when that runs out it all rewinds back in.

Peter

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Oct. 06 2003,17:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Oct. 03 2003,21:57)]PS You should be able to save most of your shots. Only the part of the film not in the casette will be spoiled.
Ey-oop John,
                   The 'photos that have been exposed will be the film that's already out the plastic reel. It's only when that runs out it all rewinds back in.

Peter
Yes, I know, Peter, but surely the part that is tightly wound on the spool will be OK?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Imported post

You will find out whether you lost pictures or not once you develop. You may just as well shoot the rest of the roll and cross your fingers on the rest. I have done the same mistake two or three times when being a little too excited during film change (simply forgot to rewind the film). You may find that most exposures are ok as John pointed out, but perhaps with slightly burnt edges (where the film is more exposed). You can crop that afterwards. So, finish the roll and hope for the best!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Well, I've had my film developed now and am extremely pleased with the results! The 14 i had taken before opening the case were absolutely fine, with a couple of special diver silhouette ones in there. Very pleased :) When I've finished building my new PC at home will scan and upload. Thanks again for all your advice.

Kind regards,

Ian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts