·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
Great videos again :teeth:

·
Registered
52 Posts
really cool vids.

i went to gozo a few months back and it's bringing back all the good memories. i uploaded my experiences on youtube under divingdingo aswell. just incase you where interested. i do like the way you've got loads of footage of the sea life out there. especially that seaslug. how cool was that? the 'feeding the bream' was also great to watch.

think i'll be subscribing to your channel!!

keep up the good work.
dd

·
Just another pikey diver...
1,993 Posts
Nice one Claire - very good, nice and steady too. May I ask a couple of techy questions?

• what camera/housing? just interested!
  • I like the colours - what did you do about white balance - at the time and in editing? Did you use any filters?
  • did you do anything clever to get YouTube to like a 16x9 video?
Cheers!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice one Claire - very good, nice and steady too. May I ask a couple of techy questions?
  • what camera/housing? just interested!
  • I like the colours - what did you do about white balance - at the time and in editing? Did you use any filters?
  • did you do anything clever to get YouTube to like a 16x9 video?
Cheers!
Hi David

I use a Sony HC96 video camera - it's DV, with Ikelite housing.

I didn't alter the white balance during filming as the housing doesn't allow me to. I use colour correction during editing and generally add some red back into the tones. Sometimes I boost the contrast a little too. Some shots I don't edit at all.

I was using a blue water filter for some of the shots - generally the further away ones. The close up were generally taken without a filter, but I have a light cannon set up as a video light.

I didn't do anything with Youtube and the 16:9 video. The camera takes it in that mode so I keep it like that when editing.

·
Just another pikey diver...
1,993 Posts
Thanks - very helpful. As I say, very impressive results! I've always got a feeling that the harder I try to achieve manual controls and high quality original footage, the more problems I'm causing at the editing stage. Anyway, it was good to see what you've achieved at the editing stage. What editing software do you use? The best results I had were with "levels" in Adobe Premiere - but I've tried a few programs and a few corrections in my time. Colour balance does seem to be the great black art...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks - very helpful. As I say, very impressive results! I've always got a feeling that the harder I try to achieve manual controls and high quality original footage, the more problems I'm causing at the editing stage. Anyway, it was good to see what you've achieved at the editing stage. What editing software do you use? The best results I had were with "levels" in Adobe Premiere - but I've tried a few programs and a few corrections in my time. Colour balance does seem to be the great black art...
I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. Just bought it a few weeks ago and after a few hours using it I'm gradually getting into it. I just started taking video this year so it's very much learn as I go.

·
alas ! not a new member any more !
178 Posts
Well done claire .. Impressive.

I'm currently at work and i'd rather be diving. Your vids were a good therapy :teeth: You've been in much more places that I did :embarassed:

keep it up
lud

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.