YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello,

I tried to cont. this thread with that of the badgers tour but could not fix images so I started a new one. On this thread I hope to give some info of dives so maybe divers comming here canprepare them selves better and maybe even plan something.

First dive is Imperal Eagle:

About a mile north east off Qawra point. In the late 1990s, the MV Imperial Eagle was scuttled right next to the reef. A buoy marks the site.

This dive has to be done by boat. The boat will probably anchor on the edge of the reef in around 15 to 20 metres. It is best to descend onto the reef, swim to the edge and then descend to the wreck. It is advisable to go to the stern first as at 41 metres, this is the deepest part. The first deck is in around 35 metres. When the ship went down, the wheelhouse, which was mainly made of wood, broke free of the ship and now the steering wheel stands alone at the top of the ship in around 28 metres.

As you leave the ship heading for the shore, there is a statue of Christ. This was originally sunk next to the Hanini wreck near St. Paul’s islands, but was relocated here.

Once you have seen the statue, you can continue the dive by exploring the reef as you make your way towards the boat.

Visibility tends to be very good, but there might be a slight current. There may also be boat traffic overhead.

Below you should have the dive profile of this dive, please don't comment on spike, that was a diver that got narked and removed his weightbelt, and my effort and others to help hime out, later we knew it was first dive after six months, was to 40m in open water ??!!??

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>This is a boat dive whose location is known to very few people. However any dive school can arrange a boat to take you to this wreck.

The wreck lies in 42 metres of water and begins to appear as you descend. The wings and engines are still intact as is the pilot’s seat which almost seems to invite you to sit and take the control standing upright in front of it. The fuselage is well broken, with the back part, including a wheel, lying upside down in front of the wreck.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The submarine HMS stubborn was scuttled by the British around 3 miles off the Qawra coast. At 50-58 metres, this dive must be well planned, and must only be attempted by divers experienced in deep diving and decompression. Diving must be done off a boat.

The wreck sits upright on a sandy bed. Visibility is usually excellent (I have seen the surface from 50 metres down!) but there may be some current.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Malta's great. I was there a couple of years ago in February on my first ever non UK diving trip and I loved it.

Noel (very jealous)

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Imported post

I had twelve dives in Malta in November last year.  The dive I thought was best, beside the Rozi, was the Farood at Zurrequi.  An immense ship, upright and resting on the seabed at 35 metres.  Think Malta is my second best favourite place after Sharm.

Glad you guys are enjoying it.

Lyv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts