YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Maybe someone can answer me this one here ........

if I decide to put twins on my buddy explorerer TD BCD, using the buddy twinning bands, do I HAVE to have them as indies or will a manifolded twinset fit?

Andy

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

If you can find a manifold designed to go with the buddy bands, you can do it, or a better suggestion (for my money at least) would be to buy some S/S bands and drill them into your ABS plate in the jacket. I've seen this done and it works, the other thing I've seen done well was putting the SDS latching system on the jacket and the twins, but this does cost more inevitably.

Basically, if you put the buddy twinning bands and a manifold, you're probably going to stress the manifold, and could cause failures. Manifold failure is not something you want to have popping up on a regular basis.

I've also seen the other option, which is to use the S/S bands to hold the tanks rigid, and then use the buddy twinning bands to hold the tanks to the jacket. Works fine, and is secure enough, but you'd be better to have both buddy bands between the S/S bands as then you're not going to pull the top or bottom of the tanks in, thereby stressing the manifold.

Hope this helps.

Digs.

·
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Dec. 02 2003,15:05)]I've also seen the other option, which is to use the S/S bands to hold the tanks rigid, and then use the buddy twinning bands to hold the tanks to the jacket. Works fine, and is secure enough, but you'd be better to have both buddy bands between the S/S bands as then you're not going to pull the top or bottom of the tanks in, thereby stressing the manifold.
That's the sort of thing I imagined ....... thanks Digger

Andy

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

That's what I did before I threw the horrible, horrible cambands into the depths of the cupbaord and switched to bolts. Works great, but it's so awkward getting the bottles on straight you'll enver want to undo the bands

·
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>on my crappy lapdog screen it could be p-o-n-y or even (bizarrely) p-o-r-n-y.  Poor typing and pretending to work at the same time is to blame.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I once worked at a burns treatment center - they had an article typed up in a font that made "burns" look like "bums" - made reading it highly entertaining. specially when they went on about how "children's burns are amongst the worst"

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

I wouldn't normally respond to this type of thread but aren't you just going to end up with a bit of a bodge?

The reason being that even if you do get the twins setup on the BC you still have the cluttered chest area and, as the BC won't fit tight enough problems when doing valve drills? I've never seen any BC that allowed more than twin 10's and twin 12's or 7's are the norm.

Why not sell the BC whilst its in good condition, and then put together a BP (£25) and Harness (£15) yourself and, even though I would recommend a Halcyon wing, you could get a Buddy Tekwing or something less expensive.

You'd then have a config which is designed for the application rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole etc.

IMHO

Andy

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Surely a jacket would make valve drills easier - you can slide them upwards far more easily than a crotch strap rig would allow

·
Registered
236 Posts
Imported post

Afternoon Andy!

Decided to come out of lurk mode (hello to you all!) for while since your question is very close to what I was considering about this time last year. If you look in the equipment cupboard downstairs at the club you'll find an orange buddy Commando with two boltholes drilled to accept the threads of the SS twinning bands on my 10's..

Grap myself or Mr Radley at some point during the winter and we'ed be glad to help you try out all the various connotations that can run on Buddy jackets with twins (which includes using manifolded twins). However, having been down this road already I must admit that Mr. Wetlettuce is has the size of it.

No substitute for experiance!

take care all.

Andy Bloss
(BSAC 1105)

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

hi bloss. did you find that twins bolted onto a buddy jacket didn't work at all? i'm hoping to go that way in a few years with my sevens (indys for now with twinning bands on buddy jacket, then adding manifold and ss bands, then moving over to wing/backplate/harness when budget allows)

there's a guy in my club (who digger mentioned above) who has been diving twin sevens attached to a buddy jacket with an SDS latching system for many many many years (i get used to comments like 'i've been using this reg/stab/whatever for more years than you've been alive young kate'), and so i imagined it was an ok system

n'est ce pas?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I twinned up on my Seaman sub Blac Jack using S Steel bands and long bolts and it worked OK but I didnt stick with it for long there was just not enough supporting lift in the jacket to take the weight of the set and the asociated kit for deeper dives.

Sell it get a wing

God this agreeing with Andy thing is becoming a habit

ATB

Mark Chase

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Dec. 02 2003,17:10)]God this agreeing with Andy thing is becoming a habit

Resistance is futile

·
Registered
236 Posts
Imported post

Hi Kate

In my experiance, the system that you are proposing would work fine, in fact the system that I use now is similar. I now have Buddy teckwing, which uses exactly the same plastic backplate as the Buddy Jackets and this supports my (bolted) manifolded twin 10's OK. I believe the Dominic's website (which I have frequently referred to! Cheers mate) gives you some info on how create the holes in Buddy equipment for twinning band threads.

Just a note on the SDS latching system, people seem to have tried and abandoned these as they space the cylinders away from the wearer and seem up upset trim/balance. However, the choice, as they say, is yours.

ta

Andy B

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

WL,

Genuine interest...where do you get a harness for £15 from?  All my bits and bobs added up to a fortune from my LDS so if you have found a nice cheap source of ss retainers, d-rings, buckles etc, please share!  (With Webbing my set following the www.gasdiving crowd's shopping list, minus buckle to hold canister light, came to £40!!(.

Cheers

Lou

My Nigel plate cost

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

And a b/p for £25? Yes please, me too.
(That is if your still talking to me)

Matt

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Combro do Backplates for £25. Plus vat and delivery though.

As for the harness I made my own the first time and as I recall I paid £1 each for the 5 retainers, £3 each for the 3 Drings and £1 per metre for the webbing so it looks like I was a little hopeful. Surprising how time makes things cheaper! I already had a buckle from an old weightbelt.

I bought most of it from Roho.

Andy

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

My harness costs were,

D rings £1,75 each
Weight retainers £1 each
Webbing was bit more expensive at £2 per metre.

Like Andy I had a spare buckle knocking around but I would guess £5

Depending on how much webbing is required and 'D' rings it should be possible to knock up a harness for £20 to £25.

Matt I think Combro are based near Eastbourne, Sussex, so you might be able to pick a plate up and save thwe £10 postage if you decide to go the SS plate and harness route.

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

D-rings, buckles, retainers et al came free with the crappy harness on my Tekwing, so I only actually had to buy the webbing

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>digger and I are near a source of cheap webbing if that's any help (I think poppa smurf does d rings and stuff too), give one of us a shout if you want us to post some on to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts