YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Right - here is the deal.  I have an unmanifolded twinset for the following reasons:

I cant isolate a manifold cos my arms are not long enough to reach around and turn off the knob.

I cant use a slob knob cos i think it scares the hell outta trainees - they have waaay too much to remember (like breathing for a start) as it is, let alone what the hell to do with your kit if it buggers.

If i cant isolate them, then what the hell is the point of having them apart from the extra gas you carry?

i had a huge bust up with a plank in my club bcos he said that he could reach his knob (no jokes please....) by shoving one hand down the bottom of the cylidners and pushing them up, and doing some weird karma sutra movement with the other hand to reach, and i said at 50m, in the dark, narked outta your box??  He spat the dummy.

So the point being, if you have a manifold, how important is it that you can isolate them?

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Oct. 27 2003,21:32)]So the point being, if you have a manifold, how important is it that you can isolate them?
<font color='#000F22'>Absolutely vital.

If you can't then dive indies.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Have you tried inverting them? Some of the folk on here swear by it!!

Peter

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Porg

If you can get the opportunity to try it in a pool without your undersuit/drysuit on then please do so, because I'm sure that unless you're deformed or semi crippled from some serious injury then you will be able to reach the isolation valve no problem.. Of course another reason can be poor positioning of the cylinders but I have no doubt that you've already looked at that..

Most people can isolate a single cylinder while pootling around in the club pool and I'd say thats probably more difficult then doubles...  so if you can do it in the pool then you will know that you are physically capable of actually doing it and then you will also know that it is either your undersuit or drysuit or combination of both that is restricting your reach and NOT the length of your arms.... please me believe me Porg you are not suffering from a short arm problem..

Don't try it on land in a t-shirt cos that doesn't work ( I know I tried) ... get in the pool, floating horizontally and I'll bet u can reach.... of course you dont have an isolation valve to turn so stick something there in its place.

Before you pooh pooh this idea it really IS worth a try even if only to prove something to yourself or to prove me wrong.

Here's a wee tale..... I have two undersuits one an Otter 200gram and the other a Weezle Extreme... the Weezle compress's a lot the Otter doesn't.... Yesterday I went to help out on a course at Capernwray and I was fortunate enough to have taken both undersuits in the car.. I say this because my suit leaked..

Because it was a coldish day and I knew I was going to be in the water for ages I put on the Otter... (I've been wearing the weezle all summer cos it's nice and light and airy) and was gobsmacked to find out that I could hardly reach my valves (I've been practising shutdowns on every dive I've been doing for months now and so I knew how easily I could reach back and isolate) but the Otter undersuit because of its extra bulk restricted my movement and if I didn't know better I could easily have thought that my difficulties were physical... my arms felt too short to reach, after much struggling I did isolate all three but it wasn't pretty

My drysuit leaked and so I changed into the weezle for the afternoon and voilá I ran through a shutdown routine no problem at all....

The GUE promotes it and I'm a big believer that just about anyone can reach their valves and that it's just the clothing or equipment positioning that restricts most people from achieving it.

If the time effort and sometimes money was invested in finding out the real reasons for our inability to isolate then the rewards reaped would be a clean simple and safe rig without convolutions, slob knobs or all that entails in inverting..

I know I'm about to be shouted down here cos there's a growing movement of twinverts on YD but I can't help but feel that too many people make the wrong choice simply because they didn't understand the problem or how to tackle it.. and because of that I can't help myself and always have to speak up when this particualr problem starts being discussed..

Watch out for that wierdo 2tanx he's on the constant lookout for converts.... I mean twinverts  

Best of luck in your efforts Porg
Dave.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave Williamson @ Oct. 27 2003,23:31)]because I'm sure that unless you're deformed or semi crippled from some serious injury then you will be able to reach the isolation valve no problem..
<font color='#000F22'>like being a person of restricted growth (PORG), then?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Twinverts kick ass !

Porg, you can try my inverted twin tens sometime, closing your pillar valves is instantaneous,  isolating takes only a few seconds and because the isolator points inwards you only have to reach around to scratch your butt and the valve is there. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend getting the soft rubber tactile vavle knobs as this helps quite a bit in comparison to the standard ones.
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Imported post

Steve W when rigging your inverted set. did you have any problems with hose length? no seriously, ive heard the regulator hoses have to be extended is this so?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts