YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I will shortly be changing from twin 10s to 12s to get that extra bottom time/reserve for deco.

Are there any makes of manifold that are better than others?

I like the DIR philosophy of less (o rings) is best BUT not at the expense of performance.

Given that I have never had a manifold problem, or personally know of someone else who has, I am not too worried about it but this will be my last cylinder change ever (before going YBOD).

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

DIR promotes barrel O-rings over facing, therefore S'pro or Halcyon (and maybe a few others)

MDE are also considered good, tho they use face O-rings (Typical DIN fittings, in fact, I bleieve)

I have SOS myself - facing O-rings, nowhere near as expensive as the above mentioned ones, and absolutely no problems so far. Tho the knobs were rather stiff until Runneymede Dive got their hands on them.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Dominic,

Thanks for the reply.

In the end I will probably just take what comes fitted to the cylinders I deem to be the best (i.e. cheapest).

If I have a choice it is nice to have a bit of info though.

You should set yourself up as "Doctor Dominic - the man that knows".

Now I have a few problems of a personal nature I could do with some advice on + do you reckon the Tesco microwave curries are fattening?  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've only seen one fail, but it failed twice before it was fixed. It was a San-O-Sub one, but I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. What does make a difference is the way they're set up, and how they're cared for when assembled and whenever any work is done on them.

Treat them good, and it seems they will love you back. Treat them bad, and they'll bite you in the ass.

As or face/barrel o-rings, I'd trust an MDE manifold over a S'pro one any day. Then again, I'm really not a fan of S'pro!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

I have had both MDE and Scubapoor manifolds. I sold the Scubapoor one on quickly as it was rubbish even with some mods and effort. I took a heavy loss just to get rid of it and replaced it with another MDE.
I have never had a San-o-sub but people I know do and on close inspection for quality by myself and failure history by them I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.
Don't think I have ever seen a halcyon so can't comment on them.
 I would spend the extra couple of quid and pay for the MDE, they are built like tanks and never had any problems with the 4 I have owned over the years or the two I still own.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

Digger,

Looking at your avatar, shouldn't you be called Scooper rather than Digger?

My 10s are my first twin set and I believe I have the MDE manifold which, as I have mentioned previously, has given me no trouble at all APART from one very minor leak from the cylinder valve (equivalent gas loss would be to 100 hundred flatulent ants).

Interested in your Scubapro phobia - any particular reason?
I have S'pro first and second stages and have not had a problem.

Bryan

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rupert Bear @ Jan. 19 2004,12:07)]I sold the Scubapoor one on quickly as it was rubbish even with some mods and effort.
Please explain  

I have never had a single problem with the quailty or function of my S/Pro manifold. The valves are not the easiest to shutdown but other than that it is excellent.

I would opt for a Halcyon manifold but thery are very expensive. These AGIR manifolds look identical to the Halcyon but are about half the price - Manifolds.... They are the 'right' design unlike the MDE ones.

HTH

Mark.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I've got an MDE manifold, I'm aware that these are not the "right" type,  however their long established and justified reputation for being "bombproof"  more than compensates to give me piece of mind.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I'm curious about S'pro type manifolds - they appear to have no thread on them. Are they just held in place by the cylinders being pinned in steel bands, or is there some cunning fixation method I'm missing?

P.S. Avoid Apeks manifolds like the plague, everybody slags them off.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Just got a quote from Agir Brokk in Sweden:
10l isolation manifold 115.56
Got a quote of about 140 for MDE kit
I assume delivery would be a bit but they are the manifolds that seal as a piston rather than face.
They don't have a UK distributor.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Imported post

Although I use an MDE 300bar isolation manifold, I would encourage you to also have a look at the Agir website mentioned above, and to consider their isolation manifold + SS twinning bands kit. I think you can get both for about £170 which is a cracking price. I have their SS bands and they are excellent.

Although you could order them through Runnymede dive, you can also pop an email to Tord at Agir and order direct.

Good luck

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

If Agir manifolds are anything like their bands then they will be built to last and bombproof.

Personally I use MDE and have no complaints.

Daz

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Jan. 19 2004,13:51)]I'm curious about S'pro type manifolds - they appear to have no thread on them. Are they just held in place by the cylinders being pinned in steel bands, or is there some cunning fixation method I'm missing?

P.S. Avoid Apeks manifolds like the plague, everybody slags them off.
There are threads on the centre bar, left and right with locknuts, to adjust the dimensions.
I have found that Scubapoor kit is IMO far too lightly built and impossible to get parts for so I now avoid like the plague. Every bit I had every had is the same so have dumped the lot and will never buy any more.
As far as the manifolds are concerned they were just too flimsy compared to MDE and I could never get them as smooth and easy to close either.
MDE have never gave me a moments problem and are easy to strip and maintain as well as get parts for as they are common to the rest of the valves.
IMO opinion the best manifolds I have ever used were the original MDE non-adjustable ones, they were just about bombproof and almost indestructable

·
Registered
99 Posts
Imported post

I'm not sure how compatible the US manifolds are to metric tanks but over here there is a company called Divers Supply:

http://www.divers-supply.com/

that sells sea-elite manifolds which everyone swears is the Halcyon manifold under a different name but much, much cheaper.  You can buy it for $169.  I think the only difference is that the finish isn't as crisp as on the halcyon ones.  A guy I dive with has one and loves it.  To me it looks pretty stocky so I'd trust it.

Personally, I have an OMS manifold because I decided to double up two High Pressure 80 tanks that I had.  The high pressure tanks have a smaller thread size so I think my only choice was OMS.  It works well so far, no problems after about 40 or so dives with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts