YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Currently training to be a DM. Wondering if anyone had an examples of the mapping exercise or the Emergency Assitance Plan that I could take a look at as I have no idea where to start.

Thanks so much!

·
A man of many talents - sadly all well hidden...
1,339 Posts
Hi,

Currently training to be a DM. Wondering if anyone had an examples of the mapping exercise or the Emergency Assitance Plan that I could take a look at as I have no idea where to start.

Thanks so much!

Speak with the people running your course....... your 'mentor'.

They should give you good clear advice on how to conduct both and may let you see a previous map and EAP they have on file.

Neither are that difficult, but my advice would be to read to areas of the book covering those aspects and take your time doing the tasks. It's also not a pass/fail thing, if what you do isn't good enough they should send you away with it and some more advice. You then rectify the shortfall.

HTH.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Having just done ours... if you have not got an instructors manual ask to look in one, there is examples on what an emergency plan must contain, also rescue manual is a great example...

Trial and error, but I ditto, ask at the club to see previous ones, it will give you a good indication..

Good luck with the course.. it is a great one to do...

B x

·
Remember Member
514 Posts
Sit down with your instructor and ask for a full brief... they should be able to go through the requirements with you... to be honest I'm surprised they haven't already...

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
My map was a bit like a 2 year old's drawing but it was OK!! Just have a go at your favourite site. I found it useful to work with a slate with a compass inset and to draw a grid and then fill in shapes and depths as I systematically swam around the site. You can make it more fun/ amusing by naming the nooks and crannies and making the site "your own"!

Dive Sites

The emergency plan needs to be quite simple on one side of A4 so that anyone can follow a simple procedure for calling help and describing the location. So include : first aid box, O2 kit, emergency numbers etc, all the things you would do to get help, but easily understood by a student or customer in a crisis.

·
warm-water, single-tank, fish 'n flowers cobblers
223 Posts
Cheating ?

I hope you are not trying to cheat Zim ;) . I wont tell Laura :angel:
I have not done mine yet so maybe we could go and do the mapping one day up at Stoney (midweek preferably).

Laurie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
never!

I'd like to say for the record that my instructor is the greatest.

I was simply asking for advice midweek before I see my instructor at the weekend.

Thanks for all the help.

Laurie may take you up on that - when it gets warmer!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having just written my eap, I found it helped to read the bit in the dm manual about it (not very much) and then the bit in the rescue manual (a bit better). Having done that, I settled down to think about what would actually be useful.

For instance, I don't personally think it's that helpful to say "phone 999" and leave it at that. I think most people know that. Instead, what do you know about what you'd want to happen if it was you lying there with DCI, that the average joe wouldn't know. (hint: nil nitrous oxide)

That also got me thinking about the best way to convince someone to give me oxygen if I was out on the floor. There's no point saying "there's an o2 kit in the van" because it leaves far too many questions: which van? what does it look like? what do I do with it?. If you're thinking that there are going to be people around who know the answers to that, then there you are: you don't need to write it down: they'll know. For your average joe, its better to say "get oxygen. the shop has oxygen. get to the shop and shout"

After that, I laid it out into a flowchart sort of affair and added things I thought I wouldn't remember, such as the list of things to do/not do in an emergency (from the resuce accident slate) and some other stuff.

I don't know if that's how your supposed to do it (in fact I'm not sure there even is a set way to do it) and it hasn't been marked yet, so it could be pants, but hope it helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hope you are not trying to cheat Zim ;) . I wont tell Laura :angel:
I have not done mine yet so maybe we could go and do the mapping one day up at Stoney (midweek preferably).

Laurie
if you ask Laura nicely she'll send you an example EAP to have a look at... As for the mapping project, ask Steve or Nicky for a look at mine or Ted's (both done at Gildy quite recently) :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts