YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you guys have seen these threads in their thousands.....

Just after some advice, I bought my Mares Proton metal last April time and did approx 20 dives, majority in the red sea, the last 5 were in capers in August..... what servicing would you recommend?

I might add that im going to replace the octo for a metal version (as its currently the Mares 'Tonka' edition) so this query is only for my main

Any help gratefully received :)

Tim

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I'm sure you guys have seen these threads in their thousands.....

Just after some advice, I bought my Mares Proton metal last April time and did approx 20 dives, majority in the red sea, the last 5 were in capers in August..... what servicing would you recommend?

I might add that im going to replace the octo for a metal version (as its currently the Mares 'Tonka' edition) so this query is only for my main

Any help gratefully received :)

Tim
Assuming the First stage was capped and the reg's where washed properly post dives..........

None:)

1 year old and 25 dives...... I'd let it go another year.

Reactions: 1animal1

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys, I thought as much..... as per pm, i'll get a pool session booked and try them out, any issues I can always get them inspected at the local DC.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do give them a good seeing too after each salt dive, and the final few dives were in fresh UK waters..... fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I do give them a good seeing too after each salt dive, and the final few dives were in fresh UK waters..... fingers crossed :)
OK I know this isnt PC.........

But FFS.......... I've had a set of Proton Metals and an Abyss set, they are serviced every 200dives / ish, Yes I do check for crud in the first stage, but as long as you are half sensible it should not be a problem. Saying that mine have the cold water kit and are now sealed. however that should not make much, if any difference as long as they get a good rinse.

HTH's
Paul

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
After a year and 50 dives, mine started to whistle occasionally and need a harder suck, so are going in for a service. probably wouldn't worry if they were not playing up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can I be so bold as to perhaps suggest......Assuming that your Protons were new last year then they should have the newer Mares Tri-core seat in them. These are good for a 2 year service interval anyway. They are also extremely reliable. Mares have had problems in the past, in fact this is the third generation of HP seat since I started servicing, but I have never had one of these new seats fail yet.

As far as when to get them serviced, well how longs a piece of string? If you have a poor dust cover over the first stage connector (a clamp or DIN) then when you rinse your regs you'll get water and crap onto the filter anf possibly through into the central workings of the first stage which could clag it up and make it stick. Also Egypt is well known for poor quality cylinders and it is quite common to get a fine coating of brown dust al the way through your reg right into the 2nd stage mouthpiece and into your lungs! So 25 dives could be enough to fill your regs full of crap, however even in this state they may carry on working fine for years!

Find a good technician and ask him to have a quick look inside the first and 2nd stages for you. He should be happy to do this and he shouldn't charge a fortune for it. I've checked regs over for people for years and I certainly don't charge much for it. It doesn't take more than 15 minutes!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks Spider.... my local centre is SDS seem to have a 3/4 week waiting list, I think im buggered regards to someone checking them. I'll just under take a pool sesh towards the end of the month.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No probs Spider, I had checked to see where you were just in case ;) many thanks for the advice, i'll ask my local dive club to see if one of them would be able to help, they are linked to SDS though so I would imagine everything goes by them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts