YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Ok guys, I know many of you are Apeks users but has anyone got any feedback, good or bad on either the VP32 / ProtonXL or the V16 / Proton combo?

They test well in Diver etc but anything first hand would be

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Paul,

Can't comment on the models you cite here, but I use the Mares Abyss as my primary and the Axis as my back-up on my BCD-single rig. Top regs mate - never breath wet and you can dive in any temp, any trim (face to surface) and they've never let me down. Very easy and smooth breathing.

The above said, for my twins rig, I've just bought a pair of JetStreams; I'll be able to comment shortly after I've had them in the water. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Would like to say I've seen new-from-the-box Abyss's freeflowing on their 1st splosh in the S.o.M in a balmy 8 degrees......

And who recently discovered their Mares had a shagged HP seat on a YD Dive-fest?

Rogues or Friday arvo specials? Mares Q.C. needs to get back on top methinks....

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Hi Paul, Mares regs are superb, ask Dave Baugh. I have the Rubys which are for sale. Great for warm water but below 10 deg need cold water  kit. They are very finely tuned and so when removed during skills will start to freeflow , not seriously but annoying and puts students off. Hence I bought regs designed for cold water and dont flow off when taken out so ideal for teaching, the Apeks TX 40. Just my thoughts for you to kick around.

Take care and love to Tara.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

This just in from Handbagnet, from an 'interested party' by the name of Ian Murphy:

"Give Your Thanks to the Mares Abyss

Now listen close and listen true,
for I have a tale to share with you,
forget the Apex and all the rest,
as the Mares Abyss is the very best.

My Abyss and I have seen it all,
the 4c quarry in spring and fall,
the wild Atlantic swell and storm,
the cargo holds in the Thistlegorm.

It gives you air both strong and true,
be they muddy waters or the crystal blue,
but the smartest thing the Italians done,
was make a reg which weighs half a ton.

You see, a lady loves a silent geezer,
as she yaps away over her Bacardi Breezer,
but you can't say a word through natter and hiss,
'cause you spent the day chewing the Abyss.

Our female friends like the quite type,
who listens patiently to gossip and hype,
but should the real truth ever be known,
your lips are sealed with a numb jawbone.

You smile and nod but never talk,
the few drinks lead to a romantic walk,
She likes your eyes and loves your butt,
but wants you most 'cause your gob is shut.

So as she bumps your hairy bits,
and slaps you 'round with swinging t**s,
enjoy the passion, love and bliss,
and give your thanks to THE MARES ABYSS."

Can't argue with a confident man.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

Cheers guys, I've taken the plunge and got the 32/Proton XL & Occy - it's for the other half and will be for single tank work - hopefully in some warmer waters soon!

If she doesnt like 'em then she be mad - but can take 'em back and change them !!

BTW, Phil - we will be up with JP & Issy the weekend between Xmas & New Year - are you about. I've heard he's just bought a pool table for the barn !!!

Take care all
Paul

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Hi Paul, spoke with John and yes pool table en route. Lots of beer around new year sounds good, I will let you know when things are finalised, take care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts