YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Started on snorkel at 8, spearfishing at 12 (dark ages – sorry) and Scuba at 15. Father very early BSAC member, all submarine escape suits and home made stuff for all else. Everyone should endure talc to put on wet suits and twin hose single stage DVs just to appreciate what we have today although I think we were more integrated into the aquatic environent.
Holiday and odd lake until I got a job on a fish farm near Oban. Then doing 300+ dives a year. Not sport but not commercial either. Luckily HSE not involved at that stage. Mostly boring but sometimes challenging  - January, 5 A.M.  force
 above and solo! Nearly all dives both work and pleasure were solo – although there were the odd occasions when a buddy would have made life a bit less exciting. Am still happier solo.
Virtually packed it in when I came south again, the club scene then was crap.
Did bit on holidays but nothing serious then went to the red sea in 2000 and was reconverted. Have since dived UK, Med, Mexico (caverns are awesome) and even Stoney. Lost track of number of dives. At last count it was around 1500. We did not log all when fish farming since each dive attracted a hefty insurance premium :)It wa amazing how little we did!
Now wanting to go the Trimix route before senility sets in too far.
Look forward to diving with you in the future maybe.
(great site)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Imported post

Welcome to the nuthouse Richie.  The people on here will provide humour, as well as advice and we don't take ourselves too seriously.
Look forward to reading your posts.

Big Steph.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Welcome aboard Ritchie - for Trimix, you could do worse than speak to Andy Hayhurst (DALESDIVER on the boards) - he's probably the best Trimix instructor in the UK (as well as dabbling in practically every other aspect of diving!). His number is 07702 819381.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Imported post

hello ritchie ...ah those were the days twin hose regs & home made suits.And them spearguns with that horrendous elastic band ,i nearly broke my wrist when i hit a rock at close range(thought it was a fish?i didn't have lenses in my mask then) it all seems very innocent looking back on it all now.Bet you enjoyed them caverns in mexico......martz

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Richie,

Glad you could you make it aboard mate!!

If you've got that kind of lineage in Diving's history, hook up with both Aaron 'Hobby' Hobson and Andy 'DalesDiver' Hayhurst - you'll have a lot to talk about!

As Jay says, if you're looking for your Trimix ticket, Andy Hayhurst is yer man. Good luck mate and dive safe.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Now here are men with tales to tell ... I hope you will join us some time next year around the campfire at Divesite X and share some experiences!!

(Note: Divesite X = St A**s, so called after complaints about the frequent awed posts on this board about the totally world class (and I use the phrase advisedly) diving there to be had)

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Hello and welcome to YD.  All this mention of old gear has got me wanting to try some out.   Anyone have some thats serviceable?

(Edited by andy2tanx at 8:14 am on Nov. 29, 2002)

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Good to have you with us.  Look forward to reading you on the boards.  Dive safely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts