YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
She's White, He's Knight, see?
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few images from Marsa Shagra 20-27 Jan and my first outing with twin Z240s (in fact, my first outing with any external strobe...what a way to start:teeth:)

These are my first image uploads so a tester first:

More to follow if this works OK,

WK

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cool - intro to Photobucket now complete....here are the rest - all comment and critique more than welcome :)

....and a couple from Elphinstone:

There's an Octopus in there somewhere, honest:

...and an attempt at art :embarassed: :

Enjoy,

WK

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
thank you so much for sharing these pics mate

hopefully later this year i should be coming back with some pics from shagra

·
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
1,751 Posts
Where are your strobes placed, you still have quite harsh shadows e.g. the Scorpion fish?
Rob

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob,
I guess the honest answer is "all over the place"!

On some of the shots i reverted to using a single strobe just to figure out some of the exposure settings. I have them on single UL 8" arms, generally positioned level with the lens.

The Scorpionfish was a bit of a "point-and-shoot" as it's positioning was far from ideal being in a sandy recess in the reef...i think i took the shot whilst fully inverted:embarassed:

·
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
1,751 Posts
It's easiest to have them level with the lens and as far back as you can get away with. Once you get used to them it's then nice to have one on different power than the other for effects on macro. If you go to portrait shots it's best to do this with the bottom strobe (closer to subject) 1 or 2 stops down to give even ligting. Reason I asked is for a couple of dives earlier in the year I had one of my z240s accidentally on the wrong setting, so one was flashing correctly, whilst the other was doing pre-flash. Just checking you hadn't made the same mistake :embarassed:

Nice shots, especially as jumping in the deep end with two of them!!
Rob

·
Cake Monitor
1,139 Posts
That fifth photo is dreadful, you can see hardly any detail of the diver with all those fish getting in the way. :p

Joking apart, if I ever managed to take underwater photos as good as that, I'd be very pleased indeed. The "art" shot is particularly effective, it might look good blown up. :)

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Reason I asked is for a couple of dives earlier in the year I had one of my z240s accidentally on the wrong setting, so one was flashing correctly, whilst the other was doing pre-flash. Just checking you hadn't made the same mistake :embarassed:
PMSL :D What a plonker.....oops - I seem to have spent half of one of my dives in Mabul with one strobe turned off :cry: I tried to convince my brother that I had been experimenting with moody lighting, but it didn't work:D

I love the masked puffer (night dive?), but the fish shots generally look better if you take them at eye level so you need to get a bit lower if possible.

Cheers, Chris

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Uwila,
Couldn't agree more! I certainly hit it in the deep end by learning to handle twin strobes whilst learning the individual controls too :emabarassed:

I'm using a G9 in the Canon housing and got a little frustrated at the lack of flexibility in Aperture/Shutter Priority underwater (you cant access the wheel :eek:mg:) That could cost me as i use a 5d MkII on dry land and a housing for it might be my next move (as well as the accompanying second mortgage!)
After a few dives though, around 1/60-1/80 and F8 seemed to give some half decent results.

Does anyone have any top tips for using optically-fired strobes with the G9+Canon housing? All greatfully received!

Thanks for the comments.

WK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts