YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If like me, you don't like/break the box your mask comes in you may be interested in this. I have just bought on eBay for £5.75 all in a Lock and & Lock Rectangular 1.90L Food Container HPL818. Fits two masks and provides adequate protection for when lead weights hit that dive crate! I also use these for my spares box. No connection, not me selling the items, honest just passing on a tip.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
I put them in the foot pocket of my fin, never had one broken, never lost one....

Mask boxes make good spares kits though

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
I put them in the foot pocket of my fin, never had one broken, never lost one....
Mine live in my foot pocket as well. I did manage to break my spare mask once - it was in a pocket and I was 'rucking' with a panicking diver at the surface. When I got back to the centre the spare mask was in 2 pieces:(

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
I am one of the disabled "finless" so hadn't considered that. Good thinking though!
Oooops, Dear Sean's foot, meet Sean's mouth;)

I use similar boxes for transporting my UW camera kit. The lens (or whatever) gets a few layers of bubble wrap, then a few of them are put into a tupperware type box. Clothes get jammed in to take up any extra space. They have done a few trips like that now. Saves trying to lug every single lens into the cabin with me:)

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
I am one of the disabled "finless" so hadn't considered that. Good thinking though!
I helped teach a paraplegic bloke to dive and he found that fins helped in the water to steady his legs while he sculled along with webbed gloves like The Man From Atlantis.

Oh and I use one of those sealed clip boxes as my waterproof boat tool box. Stops them (nearly) from going rusty.

·
beware of imitations
790 Posts
There is a small size of BDH container, the black plastic drums they put bottles of nasty chemicals in, that is an ideal fit for a mask plus a couple of small odds and ends (I keep a gag mouthpiece and a cable tie in mine). Size is probably 2 litre.

There was a time when chemists / university labs / industry just chucked these out when they were done with them... I'm not sure if they are still obtainable, but they are very robust if you can get your hands on one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts