YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so how do I stop this mask fogging up. If I just wet it it fogs dont even need to put it on it fogs up.

before you post this is what ive tried so far :-
fairy liquid washing glass and skirt
handcleaner washing glass and skirt
mister muscle washing glass and skirt

tooth paste on glass inside and out
using a lighter till glass blackend
meths

so im now looking for that new way to clean this mask can you help me its driving me nutts

David

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
i used toothpaste on glass and skirt, seems to of done the trick.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
FFS just sell it and get a Beaver Atomic! We were bored during the 3 hours you tried to sort it out at Vobster today and it still wasn't sorted. How many times do you have to be told ;)

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Sorry for stating the obvious, but do you use defog stuff on your mask just before diving with it too?

If yes, and you have done all that other stuff - get a new mask.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I learned something about mask fogging the other week. Apparently, some people (particularly kids) will have insufficient starch in their spit to coat the inside of the mask, which stops the fogging. You could be one of those people :)

So..... on that basis, either use spit in a bottle (aka anti fog) or rub a raw potato on the inside of your mask.
HTH
:)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
aha... very scary trick but it is failsafe.. you burn off the film that is clearly still on the inside...

what you go?? yes quite, that is what I said too, but when it was demonstrated to me I was astonished... it is one of those instructor handy tips that noone knows unless they have the problem..

you hold a lighter underneath the inside of the mask (not the skirting, the lens bit) then gently burn off the residue and as you do watch it melt away, it is frightening the crap they put on our masks and into the environment so to speak...

drastic, but works a treat... every time

B x

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
using a lighter till glass blackend

drastic, but works a treat... every time
Not everytime it seems...

FFS just sell it and get a Beaver Atomic! We were bored during the 3 hours you tried to sort it out at Vobster today and it still wasn't sorted. How many times do you have to be told ;)

I'm with Gloc, get rid of it. Isn't worth spoiling a dive over being constantly irritated with a fogged up mask.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Sorry for stating the obvious, but do you use defog stuff on your mask just before diving with it too?

If yes, and you have done all that other stuff - get a new mask.
Yep, he did all of that including cleaning it with kitchen cleaner, toothpaste, meths, spit....

I'm with Gloc, get rid of it. Isn't worth spoiling a dive over being constantly irritated with a fogged up mask.
See, that is 2 more people to add to the 3 that told you to get rid of it at Vobster today :)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Note to self... read thread properly before posting... :embarassed:

I am now with the other lot... need to be gone.. new shiney lovely mask needed..

B x

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
A foggy one!!! Keep up!!! :D
I was going to say cr*p!! In fact I did, several times today.... :)
tsk tsk
Who let you two be the pedants in the corner?

Perhaps I should have been more specific. :D

David
Please advise the make and model of the mask which is giving you this unfortunate failing.

In turn, i will provide you with the name of a very starchy potato.
:) :)

Actually, i have never tried the potato thing, but it sounds as though logically it should work :p

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
For de-fog, I use spit or diluted baby shampoo, works great as defog, but for cleaning just keep at it, my Beaver Atomic was a nightmare for ages, took loads of tooth paste and burning then one day it was ok (after the lighter trick!).

To stop my mirror misting up the the shower room I smear handsoap (lathered up bar of) on the mirror and wipe it off with a hand towel till it's clear, this may also work on a mask, never tried it mind!

Keep at it, there's no reason I can think of that will make one mask more prone to fogging than an other except for the factory applied release agent on the lens, I may be wrong tho!

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I'm sure the glass can't be any different to any other mask. It must be the residue left over from manufacture.

Try sticking it in the dishwasher on a hot wash; it'll clean up a treat.

·
Girlie diver
745 Posts
Yeah along with all the rest, the burning bit and lots of toothpaste sessions usually work (never works just the once though, the toothpaste definitely needs a few goes, with an overnight drying off with the toothpaste still on it too).

I have found the best anti fog solution though once you have gotten rid of that pesky silicone layer. Forget baby shampoo (too weak) and spit (whilst environmentally the best, it encourages nasty fungus growth around the edges) I have a bottle full of water with about a tablespoonful of liquid handsoap dissolved in it (choose your smell carefully though, as you will smell it during the dive). Just add to the mask and rinse before each dive, and you have a chrystal clear mask, that not only smells nice, it doesn't get mouldy and mossy over the months. (yes I have been guiltly of hosting a whole ecosystem in my mask alone!).
Good luck!

·
An Old "New Member"
115 Posts
I once had a mask like that i couldnt stop it fogging up tryed all the above tricks but still no luck so sold it on ebay and got a new one never had a problem since.

GET A NEW MASK!

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tsk tsk
David
Please advise the make and model of the mask which is giving you this unfortunate failing.

In turn, i will provide you with the name of a very starchy potato.
:) :)
:p[/SIZE]
er its black its a Garf cast off because it fogs its quite a nice mask dry fits my face dont leak, It seems to have a small problem that I cant see anything once I put it on :-( . others have posted problems about masks fogging up and I have just laughed about it know they just need to look after their kit a bit more.

On the dive site there were a few well known divers haveing explained my problem they all had the same answer and I was lucky enough to be quicker than Garf on one occasion or I would have had a broken mask for sure :)

but this mask has glass at the front silcone at the sides it must be possible to make it work. my plan now is more aggresive toothpaste a flame thrower and leaving it overnight in a bucket of soapy water. I cant bring myself to add a potato to my kit bag sorry :-(

but I plan to make this mask work or kill it trying.

I did borrow an oceanic shadow mask Oceanic Shadow Mask in Masks,Masks from Simply Scuba

this is now my mask of choice I havent bought it yet the other mask i looked at was scubapro frameless ScubaPro Frameless Single Window Mask, All Black from LeisurePro.com

which should i buy folks ?

David

Ps Gloc stop ranting about my need for perfection :)

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I have an Oceanic Shadow Mini and it's the best mask I've owned.

Beware though, they also need a lot of preparation before they stop fogging.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts