YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Voice of his (De)generation
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were do people stand on the placing of your mask strap below your hood and pulling the hood over the lot - can understand why it is that some do it cause it is useful in some way on that it is neigh on impossible to dislodge the mask and even if you do chances of it getting lost will be minimal but then again you cant change it as easily to your spare.
Anyone actually do this cause I have only seen it done once and thats it doesnt seem that popular
Thoughts
Dinger
where does DIR stand on this - against it i believe

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>i do it in the summer but in the winter it can leave a bit of a gap to let cold water in brrr

and you need a srap wrapper

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I do it every dive.  Never had a problem.

Don't notice water being any more prone to getting under the hood, stops my mask being kicked off and lost (thus less likely to need the spare anyway).  

Also makes getting a seal a doddle no messing around ensuring the hood is not trapped.

Also I asked about the DIR stance on this and it seems that it does not really matter.

For those who have not tried it, the way to do this is, put hood on, pull hood down around neck with whole head through the face hole.  Put mask on and pull hood up over.

Daz

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I've (nearly) always done it! Sometimes it can get a bit sore in the wee tender bit between the top of your ear and your head(where your ear is connected), but it seemed to cut down on mask floods as your hood doesn't get in the way and the obvious less chance of it being kicked off. The only bit I can see as to being a PITA is if the strap breaks and you need to pull the hood back to replace with a spare. Chances of that happening during a dive are slim though.
And another thing, you don't need to trim your hood back as much to seat the mask on so it's a bit warmer on the old face!

Peter

·
The Voice of his (De)generation
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Suppose as well peter if your strap breaks al you have to do is give it a tug and the strap pulls out and through the spare over the hood as 'normal' - may well give this a whirl to see - sounds good
Dinger

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

never thought of it and it would stop the mask strap getting caught on your cat ears... gonna try it next time!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dinger @ April 06 2004,17:19)]Suppose as well peter if your strap breaks al you have to do is give it a tug and the strap pulls out and through the spare over the hood as 'normal' - may well give this a whirl to see - sounds good
Dinger
I've got a slap-strap though and I don't think the neoprene would slide agains the neoprene. I'd more likely spin my hood round or, God forbid, spin my head round a la Exorcist.

Peter

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so where are you going to put your snorkle when you need it?
In a pocket where it belongs

I always wear my mask over my hood - it's too much faffing around when you're fighting down seasickness

I've got an unbreakable strap and I make it a habit to not be kicked in the face, so don't see any advatage in wearing it under the hood.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narked at 90 @ April 06 2004,20:23)]so where are you going to put your snorkle when you need it?
??
Well if you are on the the surface you can always sort your mask out and then attach a snorkel.

Personally I have yet to need a snorkel.

Daz

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ April 06 2004,21:42)]I've got an unbreakable strap and I make it a habit to not be kicked in the face, so don't see any advatage in wearing it under the hood.
Big girl's blouse  

The occasional kick in the face is character building  

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

I always wear my mask under my hood get a much better seal and easier to put on, as for snorkel, don't use one, it stays at home in the shed where it belongs  

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so where are you going to put your snorkle when you need it???
In a NOVICES dive bag, after ya sold it to them for £ 5

·
Stability - in an ever spinning world
1,080 Posts
Imported post

i know what you mean about the snorkle i've never had to use one but then again i've never had my mask kicked off in 15 years of diving

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Imported post

In summer I don't use hood or gloves.  Makes the job a lot easier and more freedom too.  Will dispense with these at the beginning of June and put them back at the end of November.  Try it, it's not as bad as you would think.  The pain goes away after a few minutes early and late in the season.  Only me in the club does this, the rest think I'm mad.

If I'm not sure of water temperature early and late I'll put the hood on pulled down at the back then if I feel particularly cold during the dive I just slide the hood forward over my head and over the mask strap.  Works fine.

In winter I wear the hood over the mask.  Snorkel attached to the bungie cord bit on my recwing bladder for use when necessary, like everyone else, never had need to use it.

Lyv

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Started off under the hood, now on top usually.  I stopped because of the cold water flushing in during the Winter months.  I also didn't like being throttled by the hood before I pulled it up much...

Might try it again.

For those paranoid about masks being kicked off, why not stick some bungee on a la Dame Edna?  Cave divers seem to find it OK.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts