YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I ordered the matt black on the option sheet way back when we were asked to indicate what we wanted.

The unit arrived with the carbon fiber look-alike shell, and when I queried it with OSEL, they said they are no longer offering matt black.

Apparently they foresaw problems with it "looking too much like military equipment", which could cause problems in some countries and with transporting your unit.

The carbon fiber looks quite good I must say, but my choice of matt black was based on a suspicion that it would look better for longer and that wear and tear on the case might be less noticeable.

I guess only time will tell how the carbon fiber look will cope with wear & tear ...

rgds
monty

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I have to say, matt black shows up almost any rub, mark and dent just as much as a gloss or other finish.

I'd have said that carbon fibre finish is much more "military looking" than matt black - alternatively just get some wet and dry, flat it back, and paint it yourself any colour you like.

Digs.

·
bored
2,308 Posts
Seems a minor thing that after waiting so long for the unit to actually exist, now you don`t like the colour?

AD really can not win.

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Fake carbon fibre print is just so trashy though - regardless of what it's on :puke:

Paint it and get rid IMHO

G

·
Registered
482 Posts
Paint it any colour you like, or since you now have one to copy take it to your friendly bodyshop/GRP shop and have them mould one to your chosen colour.

I would echo the fake carbon comments, we have a sign shop opposite the factory here who do vinyl car skins, recently they've done a few "carbon-wraps" it does NOT look cool IMVHO :)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
So, apart from being the wrong colour, having no waterproof manual (although if you feel you need to check the manual underwater, you may be cutting it fine) and not having any M26 adapators - what does it dive like? :)

Di

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
So, apart from being the wrong colour, having no waterproof manual (although if you feel you need to check the manual underwater, you may be cutting it fine) and not having any M26 adapators, looks butt ugly and stupid wide with offboard cylinders - what does it dive like...to 6 metres :)

Di

Corrected for you ;) :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Unorthorised modification will invalidate the warranty :p
On behalf of OSEL, painting or coating or placing stickers on the outside of the case of any colour you like so long as it does not deform the case or block any holes, will not affect warranties with OSEL because it will not affect the performance of the rebreather.

In matt black the Apoc appears to be a military rebreather as it resembles the Incursion and some others on the market, which causes legal issues that grew over time. There are licence requirements from UK BERR & SPIRE for rebreathers and especially military type equipment, and these multiply with other countries claiming jurisdiction through export controls of components in dual use products etc. The Apoc is magnetic (all fittings are stainless steel), there are more shiny parts on the Apoc than on the Incursion, but general appearances are what Customs and some police go by: the matt black option does look very military and the fact that the Apoc's respiratory performance outperforms mil rebreathers does not help (tactical military diving often involves long hard shallow swims, hence the relevance of this). We have experienced Customs officials ask for the user manual and there are at least two ex-clearance divers working in airport security in the Northern Hemisphere - this issue is not imaginary, it has arisen. These factors are at the root of why the matt black option was withdrawn and any EA who requested that option is shipped carbon black, not matt black.

I believe brief declarations were made about this on RBW, but cannot check currently. The configuration without Matt Black listed was in OSEL Newsletter November 2010. I agree it would have been better if it had been an overt newsletter item.

For information, anyone who really wants matt black, need only buff the carbon black shell, and hey presto, it is matt black. This is not how DL or OSEL make matt black (we reverse the plastic when moulding it), but the end result is the same. Note the issues above that this may cause when you travel with it. OSEL do not offer anything to the public that looks like matt green, for the same reasons as matt black.

Consideration for ease of travel and transport has been designed into the Apoc, and not just minimising weight. There is a reusable printed canvas TSA / Asian security notice shipped with every rebreather: it is advised that this be used whenever the rebreather is shipped. South Africa joins USA and Canada as countries that require valves NOT to be fitted to cylinders: if in doubt remove them before shipment and put a tape over the open end to avoid contamination. Air transport statements are on all cylinders: ensure the cylinder labels shipped with the cylinders are readable, in particular that air transport statement. The EAC also has an air transport statement on the packaging. Finally, carry the manual with you on your iPhone/iPad/Computer. We are not perfect and some of this is a reaction to travel or transport issues as they occur: we are looking again at how valves are shipped, as a very recent experience when valves where shipped out of the cylinder created an opportunity for Customs to examine the valves and not repack them properly. However, we try to do our best to avoid problems where we can, and unfortunately, choice of colours was a casualty of that.

Alex

·
Registered
283 Posts
Jeeesh some folks are so sensitive :D
I realised you were joking, but you raised a good issue, as did Monty. When a customer opens a rebreather, it should surpass their expectations. Anything at all that is a negative surprise in the physical delivery, should be addressed vigorously or expectations reset before delivery.

Alex

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi all

The unit arrived with the carbon fiber look-alike shell, and when I queried it with OSEL, they said they are no longer offering matt black.
I ordered the carbon fiber lid and imagine my horror to find a YBOD in "the box" on opening it. OSEL corrected that outrage and I must say that the CF lid is just beautiful--matches my Xgear carbon fiber PowerBook case freakishly well, and it's real CF.

I am relieved to hear that OSEL permits stickers as I had wondered if my Add Helium "finger" would be acceptable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts