• No I would just take my wetsuit

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm going to sharm end of January and really do not know whether I should take my membrane drysuit or not, I've heard the air temperature is quite cold on the boat (it's not a liveaboard)
the wetsuit I have been lent is a 5 mil full but I could combine this with a Shorty
I'm considering taking both so that I can still snorkel from the beach or in case I find the drysuit too much !
opinions please !

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I just got back and I was very pleased to have a dry suit. A good semidry is OK but you get very cold between dives. On a boat you will realy feel cold.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

I dived Sharm in Dec a couple of years ago, in a 3mm shortie plus 3mm longjohn. I was warm enough. But I'm often one of the last to feel the cold. I would think a 5mm full would be ideal, but sure others with disgree...

Enjoy it (lucky swine!),
Dave.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Imported post

Just had an email from a dive guide on one of the liveaboards. They're all in drysuits until April - they say water temp is 20-24 degrees and recommend a 2 pc 5mm wetsuit or a 7mm wetsuit. Wind chill is quite a factor, so if you feel the cold, I'd go dry

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

5mm and a 3mm shortie is fine. If you want to drag along the 7kg a dtysuit weighs and sacrifice the freedom, fair enough. Water temp will be no lower than 20/21deg. We are luck to get 13/14 in the UK in summer.

James

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

I was out there just before Christmas, and I was ok in my 5mm wetsuit (with a hood). But only just. In the water I was fine, but getting changed post-dive was not a pleasant experience.

I think it's 50/50 in early-December, and definite dry suit territory in January and February.

Laters,
  Janos

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I wouldn't consider less than a 7 mm semidry. I always take my membrane drysuit this time of the year. Last winter trip (Jan '02) my drysuit sprang a leak and I had to rent a two-piece 5 mm wetsuit. I was feeling cold towards the end of every dive, and taking my wetsuit off on the deck, often in a chilly wind, was misery. As already pointed out, the diveguides almost all wear drysuits in the winter. Take your drysuit and you'll be the envy of all the other shivering people on the boat.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Last January the water temp was 26-28 if I remember.  I dived my DS and was the only one not cold.  Point to note, even in the DS I started to feel chilled after 18 mins deco off te Thistlegorm.

Take it if you've got one.  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Jan. 08 2004,21:00)]Last January the water temp was 26-28 if I remember.  
Sorry, but I'm willing to bet you DON'T remember correctly. 20-21 degrees, more likely.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Yep: last week it was 20-22 and they have had a very mild January.

Mark Chase

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

last feb it was 23 degrees c on the bottom (25m), i have a 5mm two piece (ie full suit with shortie over) and a hood and i was warm enough underwater. On the days it was cloudy or breezy I needed a warm tracksuit to change into on the boat. There was a girl on the same trip using a membrane drysuit with just T shirt and leggings underneath and she was very comfy. So Either would do but if you do feel the cold and dont already have a thickwet suit it would seem sentsible to use a dry suit.

jules

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Thanks guys , I think I shall take my membrane and stay nice and warm :)
I may take the wetsuit as well for snorkelling from the beach.
Is there a limit on how many bags you take as I shall need at least 4 , I know the weight limit is 20 kg!
Thanks/Steve

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

You're likely to have problems if you take 4 bags. It'd be much better if you took 2 (plus hand luggage), one with all your dive gear, including your drysuit, and one with everything else.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I have only ever been to the Red Sea in winter bar my last trip in October.  My first couple of trips I was using a 7mm 2 piece and was obviously very snug!  My last couple of trips have been in a 5mm one piece which I find more than sufficient, in fact I fancy getting a 3mm for the warmer times of year.  The only reason  the dive guides are in dry bags is because they are fully acclimatised so an Egyptian winter now feels like a trip to the Arctic.  Evenings are colder there at this time of year and days tend to be windier so it is best to prepare for that with a windproof fleece and full length trousers.  Days are definitely still much warmer than here.  Travelling out in UK winter rig should provide plenty of warm gear to wear during those service intervals!
As far as luggage goes, the carriers I have used have all said one item of hold luggage and one item of hand luggage, 20kg and 5kg respectively.  If you don't take much gear you might get away with the dry bag.

Jim

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (yellowduke @ Jan. 11 2004,18:56)]The only reason  the dive guides are in dry bags is because they are fully acclimatised so an Egyptian winter now feels like a trip to the Arctic.  Jim
Sorry, but that's b*llocks! I'm accustomed to winter diving in Sweden (it was 1 (ONE) degree in my favourite fiord during today's dive!) but I still felt cold in a 5 mm 2-piece wetsuit towards the end of each dive in January 2002. On the "Deep south" liveaboard trip last JUNE I wore an extra 3 mm jacket over my 3 mm one-piece wetsuit. Most of the others on the boat were wearing 5 mm wetsuits. Nobody complained of being too warm.

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

Just got back!

There is no need for a drysuit in the water 24 degrees! getting out the water occasionally  involved some time before getting the suit off and during that time a severe wind chill could develop. If I went back at this time of your I would take a membrane dry suit.

Regards

David

·
Registered
959 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Jan. 11 2004,22:15)]Sorry, but that's b*llocks! I'm accustomed to winter diving in Sweden (it was 1 (ONE) degree in my favourite fiord during today's dive!) but I still felt cold in a 5 mm 2-piece wetsuit towards the end of each dive in January 2002.
John, My Nitrox instructor last Jan in Sharm was a Finnish fella.  He was diving dry even though he was used to diving in Northern Europe just like you.  He was acclimatised so felt the cold more than me.  Hence I was comfy in a 5mm full suit in Jan and sweating in the same suit in Marsa in October.  What exposure protection people are comfortable with is a personal thing and can vary considerably as we seem to demonstrate!

Regards,

Jim

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Imported post

Just had two weeks on a liveaboard over there (lucky me - obviously delighted to be back...!!).  I was diving in a 5mm steamer and was starting to feel cool on the last dive of the day (water was about 24 degrees).... Have to say that I was finding the whole getting-out-of-my-kit-in-a-cold-wind experience fairly miserable!!!  I was thinking fondly of a drysuit when I got out - but then again I'd rather be in a wetsuit underwater, so for me it was worth it - although with hindsight I would have taken a 3mm to bung over the top....  And the water will be getting cooler for a little while yet...My vote would be take the drysuit with you!!

Hels

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

My advice is simple.

Take the dry suit with either normal colthes under or a lightwight undersuit.

Wetsuits are for the brave and I'm not one of them.

Andrew

1 - 19 of 19 Posts