YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Membrane or Neoprene - This year you are mostly wearing..... ?

• Neoprene

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drysuit? You big Southern jessie, when I were a lad.....<cut>

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Everyone seems to be posting polls at the moment, and why not?

So, what is the stylish diver wearing this season then...? Personally I say neoprene.... - you?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Is Tri-Laminate not just a big fancy word for membrane. If they are different then I don't even know what I've got.

Peter
It's a Typhoon Pro. Cheap(£350 inc. undersuit, hood, gloves + all valves), cheerfull, tough and still bone dry after 3 yrs and 250'ish dives. How many can say that about their expensive posh-knob suits?

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi

ND CMX2000 Compressed Neoprene, and i use my pool shortie as an undersuit most of the time, T Shirt and shorts for the next month though.

Too expensive, but good. Bought at the start of last season, was bright red but a bit faded and pink now after only 120 dives.

Regards

Paul

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Neoprene O'Three MSF500. Black, natch. Until I left it to stink in my divebag for a week alongside a wet red lift bag.  Now there's a distinct hint of pink to the proceedings. Oh the shame...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ July 29 2003,21:24)]It's a Typhoon Pro. Cheap(£350 inc. undersuit, hood, gloves + all valves), cheerfull, tough and still bone dry after 3 yrs and 250'ish dives. How many can say that about their expensive posh-knob suits?
You've got a dry Typhoo-n!?

Wow, what does it feel like to be in a club of 1?

Chris    

(Who has a TLS... Yeah baby!
)

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

O3 MSF 5mm Neopreen, coz it's lovley and warm, the neck seel dosent try to strangle / gerott me every dive and I love the smell of rubber in the morning.

Mind you, you need loobrecant to get it on and the amount of KY jelly I am getting through has raised concern at the village chemist

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Wanna hear a great true story about buying lots of KY..?
They use it in the theatre as a hair gel - it doesn't melt under the lights, or something. I dunno.
Anyway, there was this theatrical company. They hired a girl as a general assistant. A rather naïve young girl who'd led a sheltered life. She'd never heard of KY, and just assumed it was hair gel.
And one day, the theatre ran out of KY, and rather mischievously, they sent her out to get some more.
So off she trots to the supermarket, and walks up and down the aisle in the hair care products, looking for KY. Unsurprisingly, she can't find it. So she grabs an assistant, and asks if they sell KY.
A bit surprised, he says they do, and offers to get it for her. How much, he asks, does she want?
Unfortunately, they didn't tell her how much to get, so she says, "I need enough KY for eight men to use twice a night for the next fortnight."

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>I use an ex-military Avon drysuit, it is the mutt's nuts. Easy to get on & off, fitted all the valves myself and carry a cycle puncture repair kit to fix any leaks.

Ohhh! I wish they were still available! Or does someone know more than I.  

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

They crop up on ebay from time to time - I sold mine on there not all that long ago.
Failing that, there's quite a few fetish sites they do the rounds on. Really not sure you'd want to buy from there tho...

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

I'm the same as Chris Hall,, but wear a cut down pair of overalls undermine.

Personal issue from 15 year odd years ago .....

NOW KY Jelly ,,,, ummmmmmm

Andy

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I've got the Gates Pro VSN 1100 which is comprised of three layers and is of some trick materiels that make it stretchy so I put it under OTHER - hope I didn't mess up the count.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I've had three drysuits:
1. A Poseidon Unisuit Exclusive (7 mm neo with neoprene seals). It was the world's most expensive semidry, i.e. it was never dry. I'll never buy another neoprene suit. I would consider compressed or crushed neo (provided the suit had latex seals) but see no reason at present to pay the extra – it's basically just a tougher, more expensive membrane.
2. Polar Bears Discovery (trilam), a nice suit but it somehow "shrunk"

3. Aquion Pro Titanium (trilam). I got this suit at a bargain price at this year's LIDS (made to measure for someone else but a perfect fit apart from the boots) and love it.

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>After years of diving with a ND neoprene (which didn't leak!) my suit shrunk just like John's
, so at LIDS i bought a MTM Otter Brittanic which really is the B*****ks apart from having really floaty boots.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I have an Otter membrane, same boots as the Brittanic I believe - yes, they are quite floaty!  I wore a single thinner pair of socks the other week which left more room around them.  I soon regretted that.....

Like the suit though.  Mine was MTM for someone else too, hence it's purple, yellow and blue.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

OK confession time.  I'm not actually sure what type of dry suit I've been using...  
 I know that sounds strange but it is one I borrowed for my dry suit course at the weekend and, until I gauge whether or not I'm going to be doing a lot of dry suit diving, I'm not spending the money on purchasing my own one so will continue borrowing!

I can describe it and perhaps someone can enlighten me - I am pretty sure the seals are latex as they are quite thin and flexible.  The suit itself is made of some kind of material which is, for want of a better descriptive, a bit like waterproof canvas!!  Forgive me, I'm new to this dry suit malarky so no idea what I'm talking about.  Anyway, it kept me very warm and very dry and I liked it.  And I wore a thinsulate suit underneath which I found rather fetching...  

Oh, and I didn't need KY jelly at all so no idea what you lot are going on about there.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Imported post

Have an Otter skin (membrane), which is my first suit, keeps me dry so doing its job!

Bought it second hand for £250 (retail at double that)  So I'm happy

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LesleySS @ July 30 2003,14:29)]I can describe it and perhaps someone can enlighten me - I am pretty sure the seals are latex as they are quite thin and flexible.  The suit itself is made of some kind of material which is, for want of a better descriptive, a bit like waterproof canvas!!
Sound like a membrane suit to me.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Oceanic 2000 membrane of some sort, very flexible and seems dry most of the time, get the ocassional trickle down one sleeve but the Weezle keeps that at bay.
Sleeve trickle seems to depend on how much flapping I do!
Also use a semi in the UK when I think I can get away with it.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

s'funny this drysuit business and how loyal people are to their own suit.  I learnt in a membrane, then bought a neoprene suit and really couldn't fault it.  After wearing it out and it shrinking in the wash
I then bought a membrane front entry and found it really cold, even with a big undersuit on.  So I got rid and went back to an Otter neo.  Love it!!

Oh, and it has neo seals and has never leaked at all!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts