YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heading over there at the weekend and had sent a few e-mails to see about diving and got 1 reply that got me thinking :()
(Please be aware that you need a medical for diving in Spain. You need a doctor to sign. If your physiscian is not willing or too expensive we have a medical centre next to us @ 30 Euro.)

Anyone else had this for Spain?

cheers

Alan

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Afaik, A current medical signed by a doctor is a legal requirement when diving with a Spanish dive centre.
HTH
Simon A

·
Team HPDW Cake Queen.
3,550 Posts
I'm going to Majorca in July and diving where Vonny instructed for a year. She says I can self certificate ? Who is right ?

Last time I was in Menorca diving with Salgar Diving they insisted on a UK medical certificate.

·
An old member, a very old member........
83 Posts
For what it's worth I dived with a Spanish PADI centre on Mallorca last month and no medical was required - I just had to sign the standard PADI medical form.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well out off the 4 centers i e-mailed only one came back with that so will just see when i get there as i do not have enough time to get a doctor to sign a medical cert for me now ;(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
going to be based in fornells but not sure which center i will use yet ;)
and thanks for all the advice ppl

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I've dived with Scuba Mallorca on holiday on 4 trips (but didn't work for them!) and certainly never needed a medical. We used PADI self-certification in our dive centre. :)

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
From my experience of living in the Balearics and owning a dive centre there, I can say that rules tend to change according to the local chief of the Guardia Civil who at my last visit were still in charge of the coastline activities. Perhaps the local chief has decided that all divers need a Medical Certificate as they did before Spain joined the EU. I once had discussion about this with the Commandante in Porto Andratx who told me that only HE decided what the rules were! I asked if Mallorca was not part of Spain and he said it wasn't!!!!

So check with the dive centre for current requirements!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the replys guys ;) One other question, will a shortie be ok to dive in or will i need to get a full wetsuit, i am having probs getting a wetsuit to fit ;(

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
thanks for all the replys guys ;) One other question, will a shortie be ok to dive in or will i need to get a full wetsuit, i am having probs getting a wetsuit to fit ;(

The water is bollock-freezing cold when you get away from the surface! I used a 7mm full-length semidry with a jacket on top - and a hood.

·
Team HPDW Cake Queen.
3,550 Posts
I will be taking my full Gul wetsuit which is 5mm and I also take my hood as my head always gets cold.

I was cosy in this last time so hope to be again.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Sinner,

I don't think I'll be diving this year. We only have a week there and insurance for cost of a new medical for a couple of dives is not worth it for me. If you want a medical you can contact the Edinburgh Dive Doc, Graham Russell at the medical centre via this link:

UK Diving Information

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
they are nice people at S'algar (or were 5 yrs ago) (apart from one bloke who doesn't like bsac divers - although - as he was so pissy I might have wound him up a tad :embarassed::angel:

he looked like he had a bit of a blood pressure problem by the end of our 'conversation'

5 yrs ago you had to have a valid medical. May have changed now though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sinner,

I don't think I'll be diving this year. We only have a week there and insurance for cost of a new medical for a couple of dives is not worth it for me. If you want a medical you can contact the Edinburgh Dive Doc, Graham Russell at the medical centre via this link:

UK Diving Information
thanks Dave but not really got time lol, i am away first thing tomorow, if i had knowen sooner i would have called Graham, but only found out lastnight.

cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts