YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>We are off to Menorca in August for two weeks of family holiday. As luck would happen the apartment is two hundred metres from S'Algar diving.

Has anyone used these people and if so what were they like?

·
Have You Seen My 'Demi-john'?
997 Posts
Imported post

im going same place 23 july for 2 weeks let you know when i get back

john

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

I've dived with them a couple of years running.  Nice crowd, friendly, approachable and the prices are reasonable.  They've got a half-decent hard-boat, but they also have a fast RIB. There's a nice mixture of scenic & carverny diving there.  Caverns tend to be nice & open though there are a few tighter ones if you're feeling adventurous - they do cavern courses.  Dive briefings are thorough & professional.  The divemasters do their guiding and they don't tend to herd you round too much either (if you don't want to be herded that is).
Plenty of decent-nick rental gear at the centre too.
Recommended.
If you've into the caverns, fancy a bit of variety & have a car, a short trip to the Northern part of the Island will get you to Ulmo Divers at Addayia. Again a great crowd if not as **** & span as S'Algar.

I've always gone in May, so not had any problems getting a few dives in - I suspect they're a lot busier at the height of the season so it might be worth getting in touch with them beforehand as regards booking dives.

HTH
Rob

EDIT:  BTW S'Algar as a place is a little bit boring (just my opinion) as it's a purpose-built resort.  If you fancy a nice evening sipping red wine, eating tons of sea food, soaking up the atmos & enjoying the waves gently lapping against the harbour get yourself over to Es Castell (about 20min down the road, before Mahon). Lots of restaurants, good service and cheap.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've lost count the number of times we've been to Menorca now. We stay in Binibeca most of the time. My folks go there twice a year now. S'Algar as Rob said are a very professional bunch. Much of what Rob said I'll second. We dived with them last September. Great dives. See their web site for all the info. I mailed them before hand to say we were coming and they welcomed us when we arrived. I guess you've booked accomodation with them as you say your staying very close by. I'd hartley recomend getting a hire car. The best on the Island is Poppy Cars run by Roger Evans. Follow this link below to my Dad's Website. Its a very good resource of info on the Island and you can book through the site, just follow the links to Poppy Cars.
If you've never been to S'Algar (the place as apposed to the dive operator) I'd recomend a hire car as S'Algar is a very small place and there is much more to see on the Island other than S'Algar. Plus there is no beach (they may try and tell you other wise) Menorca has some wonderfull beaches for the kids.

Hope you enjoy Menorca and the diving. Don't forget to post your trip report on here when you return.

Menorca the Guide

Dave C

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Went on a banana boat ride at S'Algar in 1995, saw super heros stumping about in dive gear and thought it looked cool, signed me, my wife and son up with the local dive club when we got home------and now we have seen a whole lot of silt in Crummock---plus some great dives elsewhere too!!

Enjoy the diving, and the banana boat

Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

Another S'Algar recommendation from me. I dived with them last June and the centre was one of the better ones I have been to. A lot of the staff seemed to have been there for a few seasons which is always a good sign. I stayed in Punta Prima which has a good beach and Simon from S'Algar picked us up and dropped us off everyday. If the weather is too rough to get the boat out of S'Algar they bus you to another dive site, I did Swiss Cheese and the Moon Pool which are both good dives if you don't mind caverns.

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
321 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Another option for you is a little family run dive centre in Cala Blanca run by Richard Moncad and his wife and daughter.  Small but very helpful with a range of dive equipment for hire and transport to get about the west side of the island.
I have dived for two years running with them and last year he was very accomodating with a credit card problem i had. Check out the web site www.divecalablanca.com
If you want to get away from the madding crowd then the beautiful secluded Macerella beach south of Cuittidella is well worth a day out.  Its private and costs a few euros entrance fee but is really nice.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Imported post

Agreed as above S'Algar are a good lot.  Balders is also spot on - there are plenty of other good operations around.  Its volcanic so lots of caverns.  No fish and lots of tourist divers herded up through the odd good spot.
There are a few shore spots worthwile too so rent your gear at S'Algar and go explore.  Cheap car hire at S'Algar just round the corner from dive shop.  Better than at the airport.  Get a rental car day one as taxi from airport as much as day's car hire.
Enjoy - I'm jealous now its cold here.....

Chris

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

One other point is to take an in date medical with you. A self-cert medical form will not be accepted by S'Algar.  They insist on a seeing a doctors signature.  I found this out the expensive way and was 60 euro out of pocket before I hit the water.  S'Algar apparently get regular visits from the authorities and the check all diver certs, medicals, insurance and passports.

Cheers

Simon

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Blimey, they must have changed the rules. I guess the authorities may have decided to come down hard cos I've never had to put up with that.

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Thanks for the advice everyone.

The medical is often a surprise to some people. I arrange one every March. However, I have an advantage, my GP lives across the road:D
and has known me for years.

S'Algar diving seem happy for me to go in the caverns as I have a fair few dives and the PADI Wreck speciality-which is a fairly similar type of diving.

I will take all my own kit as usual-being paranoid

Having dived off Corfu, Crete and Gozo there seems to be very few fish in the day but plenty at night.

I like the advice on where to eat. I have also taken drampts advice as been to the Menorca web site as recommended.

S'Algar know when I am coming I just have to send a deposit

Ian

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Get yourself to El Faros in Cala Torret. Its the small cove on the east side of Binebeca. Andreas and Andreas Jnr are the friendliest and best resturanters on the Island. We've been going for many years now. Another place to go for great food is Es Castell. Its east of Mahon but best got to from Saint Luis. Take the road round Saint Luis from the south and then head out right as you come to the BP staion on the left. The road is opposite the BP station. Its a small winding road which ends up at a T junction. Then head left I think (will check) to the round about and down into the centre. Best to park in the square and walk down hill to the sea front. The harbour area is lined with resturants and trinket shops.

Dave C

·
Registered
32 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Guys,

Going to Cala'n Porter in July and want to do my AOW, can anyone recommend a dive shop/link near this resort,

Bert

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Guys,
Great place MInorca and probably the best diving inthe Med. A few years since I was there, but I did go there for two weeks every year for ten years. Found Cala'n Porter the best to stay at, but the diving operation closed down (Derek Edwards). Hir a car and get all around the Island, because there are fabulous cave dives, tunnels and potholes in every part of Minorca and all shore dives. Problem will be knowing where to go to find them if you haven't been before. You can still find big Grouper, Red coral, and lots of Crays too, if you know where to go, but look and don't touch.

Cheers Ron

Cheers Ron

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Best get a car, it's cheap and Menorca's only wee so everywhere's about an hour away tops.
Look but don't touch is about right - last time I was there, Simon from S'Algar had a bloody great bandage on his hand from getting a grip on a Segalia (ignore speeling, it's a Cray), for examination purposes obviously, and it not having any of it.  The carapace at the bottom is very sharp.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Don't know if it's been mentioned but the guys at Blue Water Scuba in Cala'n Bosch/Blanca are very good, do guided shore dives but can arrange boat diving on the Malakoff and Francis Kita, 2 wrecks I didn't get chance to do myself, but knowing the guys, when they rave about something it's worth doing.

They do cavern stuff, and have access to good sites around the coast that are suitable for just about anyone, up to serious caves for anyone with a ticket.

Have a look at http://gosh.ex.ac.uk/~cs01cei/ they've got photos of sites like Tunnel Vision and the wrecks etc.

Martin's a top bloke out there, both myself and Andy2tanks have dived with them and they're a good bunch. PM me if you're going, I'll warn him you're coming!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts