YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>3 of us hit Cozumel for Xmas and New Year and can highly recommend it.

Dived with Aqua Safari (www.aquasafari.com) who were great.

Diving highlights were dolphins, sharks, eagle rays, manta rays and splendid toad fish (allegedly only found in Cozumel) as well as the usual suspects.

Another highlight was one dive site called Punta Sur – or The devils throat, which is a dive through caverns and tunnels in the reef.

During the second week we decided that having come to Mexico, we had to try diving in the Cenotes cave system. So we arranged to do 2 cavern dives – these were in fresh water and were simply stunning with lots of geological formations.

Juz

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

There is certainly some very nice diving in Cozumel. Please tell us more about the cenote dives. Where did you go? Which dive centre? Any good?

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>We were given contact details for Yucatech diving by Aqua Safari and went to see them.

The cost was $135USD for 2 dives including ALL costs (see later).

We met with our guide, German Yañez (NSS-CDS Cave Instructor & NACD Regional Cave Safety Officer) at 8am at the ferry port. Caught the quick ferry to Playa del Carmen where we were met by another employee in a minibus and taken to collect Germans kit and our cylinders. From there onto the dive site ‘Dos Ojos’.

On the journey we were given a truly excellent briefing including all the aspects that you would expect plus a history of the area and formation of the site. German was very charismatic and made the briefing very engaging.

There are stone steps running down to a wooden entry platform. From here there are 2 ways to go, upstream and downstream (although this is misleading as there is no current here). My depth both dives was 8.2m.

We went upstream first and went through some quite tight turns and gaps, meaning your buoyancy had to be good. The formations in the caverns (although you could always see daylight, it often did not feel like it as if it was behind you, you were in complete darkness looking ahead) were amazing and we were all stunned as we followed the torch beam around.

We then went downstream through some even tighter areas (we later found out that they use upstream almost as a check dive to make sure that your buoyancy is good enough for downstream), and at one point surfaced in the 'Bat cave', this is basically a massive cavern with live stalactites etc - again awe-inspiring.

After the dives we had lunch and then back to drop of the cylinders and over to Cozumel on the ferry. The $135 included the cylinders, weights. ferry and lunch.

If you go to the area, the cenotes is a MUST DO dive even if it is expensive.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

ooooooooooooooooooooh

Now thats whetted my apetite for my Feb trip to Mexico. Nice report. I am planning to do Coz for a couple of days, a couple of days in the cenotes and the rest in the sea off Akumal.

Thanks again - cheered me up no end !!!!

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>I've just got back and am jealous again already!!!!

If you haven't sorted diving in Cozumel yet, I can definitely recommend Aqua Safari.

You'll have a ball.

Juz

ps - Viva Mexico is worth a visit if you're up for a party............... the night before a non-diving day of course.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Juz @ Jan. 06 2004,16:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]From here there are 2 ways to go, upstream and downstream (although this is misleading as there is no current here).
We dived downstream Dos Ojos in November and it was a "bitch". Flow was quite significant and it really kicked our butts when we turned.  Maybe the flow was down for some reason when Juz was there, although it is affected by the tide as these systems link to the sea eventually.

Dos Ojos really is a beautiful dive with a huge cavern zone.  I think the Dos Ojos cavern is the largest in the world?  It takes over twenty minutes of swimming to get off the cavern line and on to the permanent cave line.

For the techies...imagine doing a double stage dive (that's four 80 cuft cylinders) at an average depth of just 8m.  The gas just lasts for ever. The only thing limiting your dive time is burn time on primary lights and cold.  Yes, we got cold in 26 deg water in drysuits and 200g undergarments!

Anyway, a truly a beautiful place.  I'd recommend it to anybody.

Bob

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Not great pics, but give you an idea of the entrance.......

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Thanks, Juz. It sounds fantastic. Had you done the cavern course before this trip?

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>No, but that's why we weren't allowed in on our own, only with a guide.

Although, all 3 of us have some experience of wreck penetration which I think helped greatly in making it even more enjoyable for us; meant we were thinking less and looking more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts