YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I was in palau, again, last summer (their rainy bit, but there wasn't much rain..unlike the year before). Anyway, we were diving a few wrecks and on one, inside the lagoon, which had been a supply vessel, evidenced by depth charges, gas masks, machine guns etc still intact, I was foraging in the silt well into the bow of the ship and I felt a few small glass cylinders.

About 2-3 cm in length, 0.5 cm diameter with a morning after piss colour liquid inside the vial.

Can anyone help as to what that might have been...I suggested that it might be something to do with a pressure fuse for a depth charge...the glass shatters at a certain depth and your headaches gone??

Might need a military person to help with this.

I left the vial on Palau and the dive guides had no idea that these were there...I suppose next time I go back there'll al be gone. I took one of literally 100's that I could feel in the silt....

Suggestions welcome.

Graham

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

small glass vials.   Piss coloured contents.   Hmmm.

You've seen The Deep?

Be careful, be very careful.

Was there a monster moray?

Sorry, otherwise I can't be of much help.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Tim....by the way..it was a WWII not WWI as per title...must be a bit narked after my bath.

G

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Could have been...that was the other idea that I thought of...being a supply vessel etc?

Maybe we now need a doctor and a military expert to argue the toss...

G

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Just checked my dive log...it's called Helmet Wreck (because of all the helmets still there). It's at a max depth of 30m at the bow and 27m at the other end where the propeller thing is. Well dived wreck but it seems this was the first time anything like the glass vials I dredged up had been found.

G

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

AFAIK Morphine vials are are made of squeezable plastic. You take a cap off, stick the needle into the casualty and squeeze. It saves time looking for syringes when you maybe just want to leg it i.e. someones shooting at you. I think most soldiers in battle get given a couple to keep on their dog-tags.

Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts