YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Since we've had a thread at getting yerself noticed in the water to be picked up or in an Emergency ie VHF Radio

Question:
Has anyone used the mini flares that they make or does anyone carry these? The ones i'm on about are contained in a small waterproof container 30m rated etc.  Wondered if anyone had actually had occasion to use these etc.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Small screw cannister about 4" long in a mesh bag, tied off to BC pocket.

One of the chaps I dive with on a regular basis carries one, as he does a lot of solo diving off his boat, but I believe he's never had to use in anger - so to speak.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Reeve - the only flares you should be messing about with today are small wax-based ones on top of a cake! Happy birthday I believe.

Anyway, as you were...

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Parahandy

I used these a couple of weeks ago at an RNLI flares demonstration.

They are surprisingly loud and glow like hell but disipate withing about 10 seconds. They recon you should carry several for realistic use as the chances are the first one would only get peoples attention but not enough to pinpoint you.

It is actualy quite a big subject and most are a wast of time if used under the wrong conditions e.g. you can't use a smoke flare in fog!! The best thing to do is decide which scenario you are most likely to be in and then phone the local RNLI. They will talk to you first hand for hours about safety and spell out the options available, and more importantly, why to use what and when. This info., like the RNLI, is FREE.

Hope this helps

James  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I know at least one guy who has the OMS 660' rated canister and carries a flare in it. Mind you this is the same guy who , when diving off the Farnes, surfaced with two others and found cause to say "Dude! where's my boat...?" To which one of the others replied "Dude! where's the f***ing  land !?"  They then proceeded to float about for three hours till those nice RAF men picked them up, so it's not for nothing he carries one!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (parahandy @ Jan. 21 2004,22:34)]Since we've had a thread at getting yerself noticed in the water to be picked up or in an Emergency ie VHF Radio

Question:
Has anyone used the mini flares that they make or does anyone carry these? The ones i'm on about are contained in a small waterproof container 30m rated etc.  Wondered if anyone had actually had occasion to use these etc.
yep I carry mini flares as I frequently solo dive although they are not actually meant for diving (originally purchased for kayaking).  They are deafening when they go off , never had to use them as yet but I test fire one every Guy Fawkes to make sure they still work as they are about five years out of date  

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Pains Wessex make one called a day and night. Its worth reading the HSE test on diver location here before making a decision.

You can also get some from Germany that come in a revolver-style launcher but the UK govt in their wisdom has decided you need a firearms licence to transport one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts