YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Does anybody know if there was a positive ending to this? I know NDC was still sealed off sat morning

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

Sounds pretty bad, my thoughts are with their families.

Dom

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Whoever they are that were found, sincere condolences to all concerned, such a shame.

Matt

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>My Condolences to all the family and Friends, and my thoughts to the NDC staff and the teams that carried out the searches.

Juz

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Imported post

Thoughts and prayers to the families and friends of those concerned.  May they rest in peace...

Helen

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

RIP

Scuba diving couple's bodies are found
By Richard Savill
(Filed: 14/04/2004)

Police frogmen searching a flooded quarry for a couple who disappeared while scuba diving recovered two bodies from the site yesterday.

Divers spent the weekend searching for the 27-year-old woman and her boyfriend, 25, in the former Dayhouse Quarry at the National Diving Centre in Tidenham, Glos.

The couple, from Berkshire, who have not been named, had not been seen since they arrived at the centre at 9.30am on Good Friday. Staff alerted police after they saw the couple's red Ford Mondeo in the car park as they locked up at 5.30pm.

The woman, from Sunningdale, and her boyfriend, from Ascot, were believed to be experienced divers and had visited the site before.

It is one of the deepest of its type in Britain and the couple's bodies were found with the aid of sonar equipment at a depth of 200ft (between 60 to 70 metres).

Inquiries are under way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ April 14 2004,12:33)]RIP

Scuba diving couple's bodies are found
By Richard Savill
(Filed: 14/04/2004)

Police frogmen searching a flooded quarry for a couple who disappeared while scuba diving recovered two bodies from the site yesterday.

Divers spent the weekend searching for the 27-year-old woman and her boyfriend, 25, in the former Dayhouse Quarry at the National Diving Centre in Tidenham, Glos.

The couple, from Berkshire, who have not been named, had not been seen since they arrived at the centre at 9.30am on Good Friday. Staff alerted police after they saw the couple's red Ford Mondeo in the car park as they locked up at 5.30pm.

The woman, from Sunningdale, and her boyfriend, from Ascot, were believed to be experienced divers and had visited the site before.

It is one of the deepest of its type in Britain and the couple's bodies were found with the aid of sonar equipment at a depth of 200ft (between 60 to 70 metres).

Inquiries are under way.
Very sad way to kick off a new dive season.

Let's hope these recent incidents are only a "blip".

Safe diving to you all.

Dave

·
Registered
274 Posts
Imported post

The names of the divers have been released, they were Janine Davison-Evans, aged 27, from Roseworth in Stockton-on-Tees; and Hank Austin, aged 25, of Ascot, Berkshire.

I'm in a complete state of shock at the moment as I knew Hank.  I divemastered on his rescue course last summer and saw him a couple of weeks ago at the pool as he had become a trainee divemaster.  He was a very sweet guy.  

My heart goes out to their family and friends.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Imported post

RIP

I can't help but think of that hoary old chestnut "how far do you go to save your wife/husband/partner?"

There was an article on this subject in Diver some years ago.  I'd just started diving when it was published and didn't really want to think about too hard then.

Still don't really...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>This is so sad and my thoughts are with the friends and families of both involved!!!!!

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

yet again friends we lose people who love our passtime!!!! firstly i want to add my condolances to the list of yorkshire divers who have spoken before me,and hope that they rest in peace !! i just cant believe we have more fellow divers to mourn,when will it end?
? it just seems to be so often now!!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Firstly may I say that this another sad tragedy, one that is all too familiar and seems to be all to occurant this season and so early on. My deepest sympathy to the families and friends.

During our club meet earlier this evening one of members was at the shop affiliated with the centre today dropping a cylinder in for clean and while discussing the incident, the person in the shop said that as far as current thinking / analysis was that the pair were diving Eanx 36%.

Not wanting to speculate prior to the impending enquiry but one can only say what were they doing in that part of the quarry on such a rich mix. For all those who are unfamiliar with the layout less than a half is suitable for such a rich mix, with the other dropping off to some 80M, where the bodies seem to have been found.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>very sad news indeed,my condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

rip
barrie

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Imported post

Like Suzanne, I too knew Hank, a really nice guy.

Thoughts with the families at this time.

Roy

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

As tragic as the deaths are, if both divers were wearing computers, at least the Police/HSE/Coroner will be able to fairly accurately profile the dive. Together with the postmortem, examination of kit, and contents of their cylinders I would think that their last few moments can be accurately reconstructed.

Having dived the NDC of numerous occasions, this really brings home the potential risks of our sport.

In closing, I think we ought to thank the police dive team who recovered the bodies. Several of them are also sport divers and personal friends who I dive with on a regular basis. A hard working and more professional bunch you could`nt hope to meet.

Steve
Bristol

·
Founder Member of the 'Viet Taff'
1,523 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Firstly I would like to add my condolences to everyone involved in this tragic loss of life.

I work part time for the NDC as their PADI instructor, and as such have a little more information available and I would like to clear up one point and that is the the divers involved were diving on air and not a 36% mix.

I would like to also offer thanks to the efforts of the Police divers but also extend that to the centre staff who worked tirelessly to aid the Police especially Keiron, the Centre Manager who entered the water before the Police arrived on the Friday to begin a search. Keiron also assisted the Police in the recovery, a difficult task, as Police Divers are limited to 50 metres and Keiron is a TDI Trimix instructor able to descend to the required depth.

I know there is speculation into what happened but the full facts should be available at a later date, until then IMHO we should reflect on a tragic loss of life and all try and remember how unforgiving an enviroment the place we love is.

Regards, Paul

RIP

1 - 20 of 22 Posts