Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Diving is mostly wet but sooooo much fun
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All you gold hearted divers.
the story of this little girl has touched most if not all of us so all i ask is that you get these pictures out ot as many people as you can who knows we could help bring them back together, any thing is worth a try once.
thanks to all that help
pete View attachment 3966

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Now it's time to wave goodbye to my reputation and start collecting red blobs.

I don't detract from the pain the family is going through, but I don't get the media hype over this to be honest. Over one hundred thousand children go missing in the UK every single year. Every one of them has a family that goes through hell. What's so special about this one?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts

I don't detract from the pain the family is going through, but I don't get the media hype over this to be honest. Over one hundred thousand children go missing in the UK every single year. Every one of them has a family that goes through hell. What's so special about this one?
My sentiments exactly Garf.
And not all of the 100,000 that you mentioned were left unattended while the parents went out for a drink either.

·
Registered
676 Posts

And what % of these children are returned safe and well to their parents in a very short time?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I'd like to know as well. I don't have a television so I've 'missed out' on knowing why she's so special. Today is the 4th anniversary of my little boy's death, so maybe I'm a little short of sympathy for someone else's grief, but I can't for the life of me understand the hype over this very sad affair. I appreciate it's terrible for the parents. I can't possibly understand what they are going through, so why should I pretend?

Lots of other little ones will die today, but somehow those won't be as important. :confused:

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts

Surely that is "missing children" which I would assume is mostly 'run aways' rather than abductees?

It does seem as if the news channels are just using the story and the family's misery as a fill in? This is the bad side of 24 hour a day news channels when they have to put out a program regardless.

Even if there are lots missing at least we can help with just one by passing on the photo?

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts

Have a greenie to make up for some of the reds that you might get ;) I agree on both levels Garf; a tragedy but as you say there are many more kids lost out there. The 11-month old child who was starved to death didn't get the same attention.

I hate the media circus that this country has, getting close to the US one.

Let's see how this thread develops and it isn't even Friday night.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
My sentiments exactly Garf.
And not all of the 100,000 that you mentioned were left unattended while the parents went out for a drink either.
This is what I thought was bad too... Do many people actually do this and leave their children home alone like this?

It's terrible news though, can't argue with that, but I don't understand all the media hype and celebrity reward whip round??

Hope she turns up safe and well soon.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think that what differentiates this case from so many others is the parents and friends extremely efficient use of the media in order to ensure that their daughter stays in the headlines.

Maybe they have borrowed a strategy from all the celebs that manipulate the media to make sure they get the coverage they want?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I think that what differentiates this case from so many others is the parents and friends extremely efficient use of the media in order to ensure that their daughter stays in the headlines.

Maybe they have borrowed a strategy from all the celebs that manipulate the media to make sure they get the coverage they want?
Maybe. Sadly they will get he backlash too - and I am one of those backlashing. I turn over every time a reporter comes on to tell us the they still don't know anything else new, but that at some village fete someone let a yellow balloon go in sympathy.

I feel very sorry for the girl and her parents, but frankly I don't care how many times they went to church today, or what Mark Warner Resorts or anyone in Scotland or Liverpool with a tentative link to the family have to say about the affair.

And why this flippin' "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" stuff sneaked over the Atlantic I do not know. I cannot imagine how it can help bring Madelaine home, which is surely all that anyone wants - just as they do for all the other lost, taken, abandoned or mistreated kids?

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Someone has posted a well meaning thread on here with the intention of doing a bit of good and a load of people have steamed in to rubbish it. I really don't understand what motivates you people to do that.

Of course there are more tragedies than this in the world but as a parent I can empathise with the suffering of this little girls familly and if I was in their shoes I'd be doing whatever it took to resolve the situation including keeping a high media profile and I wouldn't give a toss if it irritated anyone.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Maybe. Sadly they will get he backlash too - and I am one of those backlashing. I turn over every time a reporter comes on to tell us the they still don't know anything else new, but that at some village fete someone let a yellow balloon go in sympathy.

I feel very sorry for the girl and her parents, but frankly I don't care how many times they went to church today, or what Mark Warner Resorts or anyone in Scotland or Liverpool with a tentative link to the family have to say about the affair.

And why this flippin' "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" stuff sneaked over the Atlantic I do not know. I cannot imagine how it can help bring Madelaine home, which is surely all that anyone wants - just as they do for all the other lost, taken, abandoned or mistreated kids?
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lou again"

·
Flaccid Member
5,410 Posts
What's so special about this one?
I think it would be a different story if the parents looked like "Charva's" and weren't so (BBC1 sterotype) middle class, church going professionals?

It was lucky for parents that there wasn't a fire in the apartment in the so called "half hours" they were away from their children (which I would guess did every night for the first week of they holiday, since someone clocked them doing it!) as they would have lost all three of their children, than just the one.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
And why this flippin' "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" stuff sneaked over the Atlantic I do not know.
Blame Tony Orlando :)

Apparently the McCanns are staying in the Algarve until she is found, I think they are in for a long stay, but at least they have brought over their lawyers to help sort out the "fighting fund"

Obviously I feel for any parent who might be in situation but as others have said why is this one any different. They went out and left the children alone I can't imagine anyone doing that at home.

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Echo Frosty's comments.

Of course, no one posting here has ever done anything stupid they later regretted. No, never, not us.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Having previously been on holiday to Praia da Luz, (first when my daughter was 3, and again when my daughter was almost 5 and my son under 1) there are several restaraunts in the area that welcome young children.

I can think of at least 2 that are no more than a 5-10 minute walk from the Warner resort that would have made a big fuss of any well-behaved 2/3/4 year olds, and where the parents and the children could spend as much of the evening as they liked at.

As others have said, I can only imagine what the parents are going through, but to leave 3 children under that age of 4 on their own during the evening???? (I've only just started leaving my 11 year old on her own, and only for periods of up to about 10 minutes, when she has her phone, and knows where I will be...)

Andrew

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.