YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I thought this deserved a topic - things that divers have been taught that they completely misunderstood. I'm sure you can think of an example or two.

For instance: There was a chap in my old club who complained of his mask always fogging up. I asked if he'd tried using antifog and he said yes - every time he went in the water, he'd scrub around the lenses with toothpaste, and it STILL fogged up underwater!

I'm proud to say I kept an absolutely straight face when explaining that toothpaste was a cleaning agent to be used once when the mask was newly-bought, and that spit or actual anti-fog solution should be used ever after that...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Sep. 04 2003,14:31)]I thought this deserved a topic - things that divers have been taught that they completely misunderstood. I'm sure you can think of an example or two.

For instance: There was a chap in my old club who complained of his mask always fogging up. I asked if he'd tried using antifog and he said yes - every time he went in the water, he'd scrub around the lenses with toothpaste, and it STILL fogged up underwater!

I'm proud to say I kept an absolutely straight face when explaining that toothpaste was a cleaning agent to be used once when the mask was newly-bought, and that spit or actual anti-fog solution should be used ever after that...
I think we've all encountered the classic "Blowing some air from your cylinder on the first stage cover" misunderstanding.

All those divers happily blasting lovely salty sea water into their first stages with high pressure air  

·
Registered
36 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Sep. 04 2003,14:31)]I'm proud to say I kept an absolutely straight face when explaining that toothpaste was a cleaning agent to be used once when the mask was newly-bought, and that spit or actual anti-fog solution should be used ever after that...
You mean you're not supposed to use toothepaste everytime?

damn. That explains the fresh minty breath yet crap viz last weekend

G

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I'm not one to pay much attention to my mask, normally a good spit will do the cleaning, if it fogs then I swirl some water  and that sloves it for a while. The classic was last saturday when I looked to the horizon and noticed something out there to the left, I turned and followed it around a full circle thinking what the heck it was and swimming so fast - well it was a stain on the mask!!

·
Fair weather diver
131 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heads Up @ Sep. 04 2003,21:13)]Seen a student mask clearing by drinking the seawater through his nose - cleared his sinus' well too!
My buddy was 'taught' this technique in the Red Sea.  She couldn't dive for the first three days of our holiday because of the tail end of a cold.  The DM suggested flooding the mask and snorting it in.  After a lot of coughing she was totally snot free and no hint of any blockage for the rest of the week.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nickjb @ Sep. 05 2003,09:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heads Up @ Sep. 04 2003,21:13)]Seen a student mask clearing by drinking the seawater through his nose - cleared his sinus' well too!
My buddy was 'taught' this technique in the Red Sea.  She couldn't dive for the first three days of our holiday because of the tail end of a cold.  The DM suggested flooding the mask and snorting it in.  After a lot of coughing she was totally snot free and no hint of any blockage for the rest of the week.
That is my number one technique for equalisation problems, ascend a bit and try again.  Then flood mask partially and snort the water,  It has always been 100% successful for me.

Daz

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

AH the old talc bit, what made me worry was the guy who told me the same thing but using KY for a seal. If you think about it for too long your eyes just have to start watering.

Andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.