YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Albert is getting annoyed
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about a 3/4 fill of 1mm-2.5mm (8-12) sofnolime and about a 1/4 fill of the bigger 4-8 grade. Any issues with packing the scrubber with both? Smaller stuff in the bottom, bigger stuff on top??

I'm not bothered if not, I'll just throw away the 4-8 cus I've got plenty of the 8-12 you see...

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Not a good idea. The small particles can drop down between the big ones - think of a jar full of rocks and then tipping sand over them. Shake it and you make it worse. Obviously to a lesser extent, but coul still lead to a nice gap at the top of your scrubber.

Digs.

·
Worlds leading exponent of anal acoustics
487 Posts
Agree with above,it,s possible!! to get channeling in same grade,mixing them it,s likely!! to channel.
If in doubt f--k it out.
Cheers
Lee C

·
Owner of the Frankinspo
947 Posts
Not a good idea. The small particles can drop down between the big ones - think of a jar full of rocks and then tipping sand over them. Shake it and you make it worse. Obviously to a lesser extent, but coul still lead to a nice gap at the top of your scrubber.
In preparing you would tap the canister to encourage the smaller particles to fill the gaps, then topup, until the canister is full and there is no movement left from tapping so no gap at the top and no channels? As long as you are thorough when preparing the canister I thought it would be OK. I've not tried though, I've never used different grades.

Saying that I'd probably chuck it. There's no value to spending 3 hours dive time wondering if you did a stupid thing and contstantly stressing for signs of a CO2 hit to save yourself a couple of quid.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
In preparing you would tap the canister to encourage the smaller particles to fill the gaps, then topup, until the canister is full and there is no movement left from tapping so no gap at the top and no channels? As long as you are thorough when preparing the canister I thought it would be OK. I've not tried though, I've never used different grades.

Saying that I'd probably chuck it. There's no value to spending 3 hours dive time wondering if you did a stupid thing and contstantly stressing for signs of a CO2 hit to save yourself a couple of quid.
Really, honestly, no. You would have to tap it about for hours. Or use a paint shaker or something. Bear in mind that on the KISS if it does compact even a little between packing and the end of the dive, you have the potential for a physical gap in the back of the scrubber, a nice route for completely unscrubbed gas to pass through and give you a decent quality headache or worse.

The only way to do this is to pack the big stuff, put a membrane over it, then pack the small stuff. Really not worth it, plus even that would have an impact on WOB.

And you're only saving a fiver at the very most. Not worth it vs the cost of a funeral.

Digs.

·
Owner of the Frankinspo
947 Posts
I suppose you could bag the left over stuff and hold onto it until you have more of that grade. Does sofnolime have a shelf life if it is enclosed?

I found a dead fly in my sofnolime the other day, I was packing, not unpacking the scrubber so luckily I hadn't been breathing the dead fly. I wonder how many undesirable things are in the average scrubber fill. Maybe that should be the start of a new thread.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Don't mix them, fill the bottom 3/4 with the decent lime, fill the other 1/4 with whatever shite that's lying around (top up with gravel if you have to). You'd have to go some to get the interface between the layers to collapse into one another (a long car journey is however a very good mixing tool) and be very unlikely to get any WOB issues. What's the worst that could happen? If you have a CO2 hit then consider it a learning experience (if you survive).

In all seriousness, the odds are overwhelmingly in your favour of nothing bad happening or for that matter of anything remotely interesting happening. It's not a good idea without a doubt, lime costs fuck all so I've never seen the point of dicking about with it, the KISS scrubber fails fast when it fails so the sensible answer is chuck it and use one grade or the other. But realistically, nothing is likely to happen. Consider the top layer to be dead and consider your dwell time on each breath to be substantially reduced so if you're not planning on a long dive and/or exerting yourself then chances are it would be fine if you did it in layers. On the other hand, I've never been stupid enough to do that so may well be talking out my arse and going by gut instinct but then isn't everyone else's responses?

Anyway, be sensible and chuck it or HTFU and dive it :D

BTW, I wouldn't let my dog piss in big grain lime, you might as well use my gravel suggestion when it comes to the KISS scrubber as use 4-8 in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.